2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

@Nymzee

It was March, and after identifying the experienced midfielder as a prime transfer target, Brands was keen to get the ball rolling on a move that, he hoped, would fly under the radar - but Pep Guardiola was not ready to make a decision on Delph's future.

And after Brands visited the 29-year-old in his home on the outskirts of Manchester, Delph, sat with his agent Steve Hall, was so taken with what he had heard, and what he had seen on a special power point presentation, that he went to the champions and asked them to listen to what Everton had to say.

Got to say, been unimpressed with him overall as far as transfers in and out have gone. Doesn’t seem to be any coherent strategy - still appears we change course from manager to manager.

Don’t know quite so much about his influence in restructuring youth teams and how that’s working out. Was reading Unsworth talking about the work that’s going on in the academy and that might take longer to judge his impact.

overall though, much like most of our transfer business…looking like a flop.

@Nymzee

It was March, and after identifying the experienced midfielder as a prime transfer target, Brands was keen to get the ball rolling on a move that, he hoped, would fly under the radar - but Pep Guardiola was not ready to make a decision on Delph's future.

And after Brands visited the 29-year-old in his home on the outskirts of Manchester, Delph, sat with his agent Steve Hall, was so taken with what he had heard, and what he had seen on a special power point presentation, that he went to the champions and asked them to listen to what Everton had to say.

Yeh I read that; we've been after Delph at Everton since like 2009 it says. Brands did his job but I don't for a second believe a DoF from Holland would be going for a Delph or a Townsend or even Doucoure without a manger pushing for it.

He's the DoF. Any signings during his tenure, he is ultimately responsible for.

That's not to say each manager doesn't have a say as they clearly do. But every manager we've had has said it's a joint process.

Brands gets credit for Godfrey, Digne, even Gomes pre injury and I don't doubt his negotiation skills when it comes to incomings.

He gets the blame for £28-34m on Iwobi, massive wages for Delph, I question his decisions on leaving certain areas of the squad extremely short, which he has done every summer so far.

Yeh I read that; we've been after Delph at Everton since like 2009 it says. Brands did his job but I don't for a second believe a DoF from Holland would be going for a Delph or a Townsend or even Doucoure without a manger pushing for it.

We had targetted Doucoure every year since Brands arrived.

We were after Delph in 2009 under Moyes when he was at Leeds, it's hardly comparable. Bill didn't come and say 'Marcel, there's a lad we were looking at 10 years ago'

We had targetted Doucoure every year since Brands arrived.

We were after Delph in 2009 under Moyes when he was at Leeds, it's hardly comparable. Bill didn't come and say 'Marcel, there's a lad we were looking at 10 years ago'

We also wanted Delph when he was at Villa. I wasn't suggesting he was Bill signing but Silva clearly states in his signing profile that he's a player he wanted.

Yeah, he was very good that season, and that was also when we wanted Silva (and probably were in talks with him).

I imagine, Silva and Brands sat down in 2018 and discussed targets and Brands liked Doucoure too. We've then gone after him in the other two years.

Unless you're suggesting there was a list left behind by Walsh and Fat Sam, and Brands just found it and went with that?

We also wanted Delph when he was at Villa. I wasn't suggesting he was Bill signing but Silva clearly states in his signing profile that he's a player he wanted.

Of course he wanted him - that's my point - both manager and DoF sign off on the signings.

They both make the decision so both get credit (or no credit) for that call.

Brands has shown little evidence he is adverse to bringing in experienced players.

Yeah, he was very good that season, and that was also when we wanted Silva (and probably were in talks with him).

I imagine, Silva and Brands sat down in 2018 and discussed targets and Brands liked Doucoure too. We've then gone after him in the other two years.

Unless you're suggesting there was a list left behind by Walsh and Fat Sam, and Brands just found it and went with that?

Or I'm suggesting Silva, Doucoure's ex-manager, suggested and wanted him for his midfield... obviously.

Or I'm suggesting Silva, Doucoure's ex-manager, suggested and wanted him for his midfield... obviously.

Which is what I've said?

Silva and Brands sat down, Brands liked the look of Doucoure and then also suggested him to Carlo when we needed a midfielder last year.

So is this a defence of Brands, or just saying he latches onto other people's ideas?

During his time here, we've brought in plenty of older, more experienced players. I think he probably saw the Townsend deal as the Delph deal with much less risk in an area we needed - I don't think it's a bad thing, I just think there's plenty of evidence he's happy to do those types of deals.

Some top revisionism by the Brands defence committee absolving him of any responsibility for Delph.

But if we point out how Richarlison, James and Allan were hand-picked by Silva and Ancelotti we aren't giving Brands enough credit....

The double standards are obvious here.

He’s hopeless. He’s been here long enough and presided over a laughable recruitment campaign whilst selling off players for peanuts.

Bernard - Brazilian international and 29 for 3/4m euros is a joke, same week kopites are selling Wilson for 12m.

He’s hopeless. He’s been here long enough and presided over a laughable recruitment campaign whilst selling off players for peanuts.

Bernard - Brazilian international and 29 for 3/4m euros is a joke, same week kopites are selling Wilson for 12m.

….it really isn’t selling Bernard for €750k that’s the issue, it’s buying him that‘s the problem.

We buy footballers and they turn out to be ineffective on huge wages, then it’s inevitable we’ll have trouble shifting them. The problem is the acquisition of the wrong players.

I don't think Brands has been a big success, but there's a few factors on the below:

1) Bernard is probably earning over 3x as much as Wilson
2) Bernard hasn't played for Brazil for 7 years (aged 21) so not exactly a current international
3) Wilson scored more goals in his single PL season than Bernard did in 3 seasons here
4) Wilson is younger and homegrown - always a premium

Getting rid of Bernard was less about the fee and more about getting shut of the wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.