2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the iwobi transfer which is the big negative for me - rushing round last day of the window signing someone who we didn’t need at a price absolutely no-one else would have paid.

For the same/similar price or less we could have bought raphinha/saint-maximin and now possibly leon bailey. All lads who would have markedly improved us - genuinely think we’d have challenged top 4/6 with a flyer down the wing.

its that sort of ineptness which is now biting us on the backside re ffp - i’d happily take £5m from a fulham for iwobi but i suspect we’ll be loaning him out at our expense for the remainder of his contract

Its the iwobi transfer which is the big negative for me - rushing round last day of the window signing someone who we didn’t need at a price absolutely no-one else would have paid.

For the same/similar price or less we could have bought raphinha/saint-maximin and now possibly leon bailey. All lads who would have markedly improved us - genuinely think we’d have challenged top 4/6 with a flyer down the wing.

its that sort of ineptness which is now biting us on the backside re ffp - i’d happily take £5m from a fulham for iwobi but i suspect we’ll be loaning him out at our expense for the remainder of his contract

There's no defending the Iwobi transfer, even amongst Brands fans. A panic buy personified. Everyone knew he was shocking before he was brought in too.

I'm every aspect of his role, Brands failed with that, and he's done little of note to change minds about his ability. Indeed, he's done nothing whatsoever as far as I can tell.

….he has the power of veto, but I doubt he’d do that if Benitez really wanted Townsend, especially on a free.

I think the Townsend deal is pretty sensible.

He gives us a type of player we needed, for no fee, on decent wages. It's definitely one Benitez will have suggested but I'm not surprised Brands gave the nod too. It is a sensible transfer.

Similarly, I imagine Gray is one that came up in discussions between the pair. The type of player we need for a very small fee.

I still think we need another attacker and it looks like we're looking, but those two additions have at least lessened the need straight off the bat.

We desperately need a right-back and that has to be the priority ahead of the season starting.

As @ToffeeTim points out, it's been an issue for three years.

It was £8m - widely reported by accurate sources - and he's on around £80,000 a week.

I'd argue that it shows Brands is in no way adverse to signing older players. Just like the Doucoure deal. Allan and James - they are probably different due to the Carlo links.

I’m showing you an article where Brands doesn’t even discuss the signing and instead Silva describes him as a player he was looking to sign.

I think the Townsend deal is pretty sensible.

He gives us a type of player we needed, for no fee, on decent wages. It's definitely one Benitez will have suggested but I'm not surprised Brands gave the nod too. It is a sensible transfer.

Similarly, I imagine Gray is one that came up in discussions between the pair. The type of player we need for a very small fee.

I still think we need another attacker and it looks like we're looking, but those two additions have at least lessened the need straight off the bat.

We desperately need a right-back and that has to be the priority ahead of the season starting.

As @ToffeeTim points out, it's been an issue for three years.
Agree about Townsend and Gray.
although not eye catching signings, Townsend adds something we didn’t have for the right hand side and Gray is a cheap upgrade for Bernards spot on the bench, who could actually do some damage when he comes on as he has a bit of pace.

I’m showing you an article where Brands doesn’t even discuss the signing and instead Silva describes him as a player he was looking to sign.

The DOF model isn't working. Either Brands isn't good enough at his job or Brands doesn't have enough influence to change things for the better.

But Brands was heavily involved. Multiple stories about how he had loads of meetings with Delph and even showed him videos and presentations of how they wanted him to fit into the side.

without judging Brands on the rest of his record one way or the other I’m going to guess that Iwobi was all Moshiri, just like the pursuit of Zaha at stupid money which fell apart at the eleventh hour and probably led to the Iwobi buy as a consolation prize.

these have Moshiris fingerprints on them - the obsession with “big names” and the overpay (almost like he’s happier spending too much because it makes him feel like he’s got Big D*ck Energy)

Any discussion of Brands has to give credit for Godfrey, the signing no one noticed but is the best business we’ve done in a long time, and also quite likely Nkonkou. These might be the foundation of our back line for years. Again his whole record is fair play but these seem more his speed than Iwobi which goes against his stated philosophy but just reeks of Moshiri, I have to think that Farhad just freelanced that.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.