2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to move players on. 10-15 to be punted.

Surprised weve not got a few more out so far.

I'm not, you saw how poor the majority of the players were last night?

Lossl - clearly looking for a move
Davies - Needs selling a loan "away from GP will do him good." It wont, he has over 100 pl games and looked average against a L2 team. The time to loan him was ASAP after that City game.
Bernard - a massive drain on the wage bill for very fleeting glimpses of quality/end product.
Walcott - as above, end product has never been his thing.
Besic - christ
Bolasie - thanks for being nice, but of you want to play you need to move.

Sigg? Unless really great money is offered (15+) I'd keep him as an option. Like Gomes, he'll be far better with Allan/Dacourre alongside him.

Kean, also keep. Honestly think he tries too hard to impress and makes a mess of things.

EDIT. I had completely forgotten about Iwobi. I doubt his heart was ever in the move. Loan him back to London with the hope he has a decent season so we can get semi decent money next summer.

Last edited:
Very well put mate.

Comes a tipping point though and a few are past it, Boalsie certainly is.
Can’t see how Bolasie could have done any worse then Walcott last night. But Carlo has made it clear with his non inclusion in the squad, he has no future at the club.

cheap loans are essential for FFP, we can’t crystallise losses by selling players below value. You stick them on loan for a year and their wages are off the book and their book value decreases. If you sell then you might make a FFP profit. That’s why the likes of Bolasie kept getting loaned. You can’t buy a player for 30 mill on a 5 year deal and then a year later sell him for 10 mill. Far better loaning him out for 3 years and then selling for less but you actually turn a profit.
Well they aren't essential, they might just be the best option in some circumstances. Ideally we'd be able to sell all of them for their book price, or even slightly under in some cases. It certainly won't be easy, but we don't pay him to do easy stuff.

Can’t see how Bolasie could have done any worse then Walcott last night. But Carlo has made it clear with his non inclusion in the squad, he has no future at the club.

Fair point.

I think we need to be pragmatic mate, the wage bill needs to come down, we need to cut losses and decisions need to be made on what players we decide to try and shift. We cant keep adding layers of players with no outs, we're carrying to much timber.

Bolaise doesnt have a future with us, nor Walcott by my reckoning, but looks like Walcott will be kept for the season, not sure its wise to keep both if we can avoid it.

cheap loans are essential for FFP, we can’t crystallise losses by selling players below value. You stick them on loan for a year and their wages are off the book and their book value decreases. If you sell then you might make a FFP profit. That’s why the likes of Bolasie kept getting loaned. You can’t buy a player for 30 mill on a 5 year deal and then a year later sell him for 10 mill. Far better loaning him out for 3 years and then selling for less but you actually turn a profit.

cheap loans are essential when no one wants to buy the player or loan them for good value.

it’s the bargain basement of appeasing FFP

Fair point.

I think we need to be pragmatic mate, the wage bill needs to come down, we need to cut losses and decisions need to be made on what players we decide to try and shift. We cant keep adding layers of players with no outs, we're carrying to much timber.

Bolaise doesnt have a future, nor Walcott by my reckoning, but looks like Walcott will be kept, not sure its wise to keep both if we can avoid it.

Walcott and Bolasie both need moved on if possible. Probably hard to shift Walcott based on his wages and the fee involved. Think we’ll rake anything we can get for Bolasie.

Fair point.

Bolaise doesnt have a future, nor Walcott by my reckoning, but looks like Walcott will be kept, not sure its wise to keep both if we can avoid it.
Couldn’t agree more. The squad is already 10-15 players to big. We can’t just keep getting players in without culling some first. But of course who will take underperforming players on large wages. Hopefully clubs will start getting desperate towards the end of the window and they’ll need to desperate, to take some of our deadwood off us.

Walcott and Bolasie both need moved on if possible. Probably hard to shift Walcott based on his wages and the fee involved. Think we’ll rake anything we can get for Bolasie.

Maybe, Walcotts deal is up next year to.

His situation is book price 5.06 mill, wages 4.55 mill.

So costs us about 9.61 mill in wages and amort for the year.

Crazy that Walcott and Bolaise add just shy of 20 mill a year to our costs in the accounts.

Couldn’t agree more. The squad is already 10-15 players to big. We can’t just keep getting players in without culling some first. But of course who will take underperforming players on large wages. Hopefully clubs will start getting desperate towards the end of the window and they’ll need to desperate, to take some of our deadwood off us.

I think we have a few we could and probably should shift later in the window mate.

Selling Walcott and Bolaise for 50p for the pair actually puts us in a much better financial situation. So we will accept almost anything for one or the other id say and could be good deals for other clubs later in the window, when things get squeaky.

I'm not, you saw how poor the majority of the players were last night?

Lossl - clearly looking for a move
Davies - Needs selling a loan "away from GP will do him good." It wont, he has over 100 pl games and looked average against a L2 team. The time to loan him was ASAP after that City game.
Bernard - a massive drain on the wage bill for very fleeting glimpses of quality/end product.
Walcott - as above, end product has never been his thing.
Besic - christ
Bolasie - thanks for being nice, but of you want to play you need to move.

Sigg? Unless really great money is offered (15+) I'd keep him as an option. Like Gomes, he'll be far better with Allan/Dacourre alongside him.

Kean, also keep. Honestly think he tries too hard to impress and makes a mess of things.

EDIT. I had completely forgotten about Iwobi. I doubt his heart was ever in the move. Loan him back to London with the hope he has a decent season so we can get semi decent money next summer.

And Sandro.

Need to keep Siggy as backup or competition. He will be better with Allan and Doucouré around him in midfield.

There are a host of over aged academy players who won’t make it. Baningime, Connolly, Adenrian, Pennington, Bowler, Boardhead. But guess they aren’t on big wages but then every little bits help.

think we were in a similar situation last year and thankfully he managed to offload a load on loan. Teams will of course wait to get a better deal from us if they're interested, because this will all be squad players for them anyway.

And Sandro.

Need to keep Siggy as backup or competition. He will be better with Allan and Doucouré around him in midfield.

There are a host of over aged academy players who won’t make it. Baningime, Connolly, Adenrian, Pennington, Bowler, Boardhead. But guess they aren’t on big wages but then every little bits help.
Oh for sure. The list of outcasts is far too big.

Who we need:-

A cb - Tomori. If possible loan with option to buy. If not, just loan him and use him when we need to then he goes back to Chelsea next summer.
A rb - Arias. A cheap loan or buy him for a small fee if we can sell Kenny. Been linked to Everton for a long period. Brand’s player.
A winger - prefer to be Lozano. Carlo’s player. Loan with obligation to buy. Quality.

Who to be punted?

Kenny - ffp reason pure profit and I doubt he is a top 6 player to replace Coleman.
Delph - never fit and um...
Walcott - 9 months left in his contract, past it and earning a big wage to be backup.
Bernard - ffp reason pure profit no end product and earning a big wage to be backup.
Sandro - obviously.
Bolasie - obviously.
Besic - christ.

A host of over-aged academy players who won’t make it. Baningime, Connolly, Adenrian, Pennington (26 soon unbelievable), Bowler and Boardhead.

Will leave in January:-
Tosun obviously and hopefully on permanent.

I don’t think Davies will be punted because Delph will be sold and Gbamin is injured. So he will remain as backup this season. Should be sold next summer due to ffp reason. Pure profit.

Will keep Siggy as competition to Gomes’s role. I will keep Iwobi and Kean as they’re young and ideally, they have rooms for improvement.

Lossl should be keep on we need 3 keepers in our first team.

I think we should take anything we can get for any of the "deadwood" to get them off the wage bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.