2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of clubs in the world employ a DoF and the managers gain a massive degree of control.

You honestly think Brands calls the shots on Carlo?

I think Ancelotti actually likes the system, so whilst he's here I'll tolerate it if it keeps him happy

Just because Brands hasn't done it yet doesn't mean he couldn't if he wanted to

To me, no one should be able to pull rank on the manager. If the chairman/board wants to sack them then fair enough, but I think the manager should be the undisputed top dog at the club, and with the DoF model that just doesn't happen

I'm convinced that a big contributing factor as to why you see so many players downing tools these days (Aside from the Bosman giving players in general more power) is because the manager isn't really the manager any more and they know it. DoF's make managers even more expendable than they already were, because they rank above them in the power structure

The day managers became coaches was the day a wrecking ball was taken to their authority

Again, at some clubs it can work, but that doesn't mean EVERY club has to have one. If I'd seen a clear benefit to us using the system then maybe I'd think differently, but I haven't. I just don't think Everton Football Club needs a DoF and I haven't been convinced since we've started having one either. Like I said, at this moment we have a manager who likes the model, so fair enough, have one. Once Ancelotti decides to go though I'd very much like us to reassess the DoF model at that time and possibly look at dropping it entirely if there's a manager out there who can thrive without one

I think Ancelotti actually likes the system, so whilst he's here I'll tolerate it if it keeps him happy

To me, no one should be able to pull rank on the manager. If the chairman/board wants to sack them then fair enough, but I think the manager should be the undisputed top dog at the club, and with the DoF model that just doesn't happen

I'm convinced that a big contributing factor as to why you see so many players downing tools these days (Aside from the Bosman giving players in general more power) is because the manager isn't really the manager any more and they know it. DoF's make managers even more expendable than they already were, because they rank above them in the power structure

The day managers became coaches was the day a wrecking ball was taken to their authority

Again, at some clubs it can work, but that doesn't mean EVERY club has to have one. If I'd seen a clear benefit to us using the system then maybe I'd think differently, but I haven't. I just don't think Everton Football Club needs a DoF and I haven't been convinced since we've started having one either. Like I said, at this moment we have a manager who likes the model, so fair enough, have one. Once Ancelotti decides to go though I'd very much like us to reassess the DoF model at that time and possibly look at dropping it entirely if there's a manager out there who can thrive without one
I dont see it going anywhere Mikey.

Here or in football in general, not at the level we play at.

I think you have the wrong idea on the role also.

Carlo's book is an interesting read.
In it he talks about all aspects of his football career as player and manager.l
Above all what comes scrips is his willingness to work with almost any management structure within a club.

I agree with all of that, at this point in time the DOF model doesn't suit Everton, I do think it can work better at a stable club that doesn't need to firefight every season.

For us, it hasn't delivered much. I don't buy the theory that there is agreement on every signing, more it seems an agreement for Carlo to pursue his targets and Brands his, thats where the muddle is.

I would dispense with it in an ideal world but in reality I don't think managers are that keen on this work anymore either. There are too many games and too much work to do with players as it is. Even the media demands on managers are greater than what they were, and its a more pressurised, scrutinised role.

If Brands wasn't here, there would be someone in the job, call them whatever title you like.

A good DOF is like a good referee in my opinion, you don't notice them if they're doing a good job.

First we must SELL but then we must also give some consideration to BUY

Marcel you have a head like a vegan oxo cube so I will help you with some of this process

SELL Iwobi BUY Lukaku LOAN Foden SECURE Donnarumma

I shall attempt to write this in Dutch to demonstrate my multiculturalism and help Marcel in his time of need

BUUY Luukaku SEELL Caalvert-Lewin

SELL Iwobi BUY Lukaku LOAN Foden SECURE Donnarumma

I can just see Foden's reaction to that - in the highly unlikely event City would ever agree with it in the first place.

OU7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.