2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would take a very strong stance from the club to get rid of Sigurdsson or Delph, eg no squad number, train with the U23s, etc. Otherwise, they'll just sit tight and wait until there are gaps to be plugged in the match day squad again.

I can't see it happening.

...as I say, I can’t see that happening with Sigurdsson as he’s an integral member of Ancelotti’s squad. He uses Sigurdsson & I think he’ll still want him around going forward.

...as I say, I can’t see that happening with Sigurdsson as he’s an integral member of Ancelotti’s squad. He uses Sigurdsson & I think he’ll still want him around going forward.
Siggy is a good option of the bench for last 15 mins, when we need to time manage the game when we are in front. Especially with his pointing and back passes to the centre backs hahah.

....the big concern for me is the complete lack of effective wide midfielders and lack of pace and mobility in certain areas. This means we only have one way of playing, which is suitable away from home but impotent at Goodison where we have to take the game to the opposition.

Signing ponderous James & Allen when we already have ponderous Gomes, Davies and Sigurdsson is a concern. No viable, creative & goalscoring threat in wide areas is a major omission given how long Brands has been here.

For me it’s more about the ‘type’ of player he’s failed to bring in as it is about the likes of Iwobi and Delph.
"We only have one way of playing"

This is a BS claim by Carlo, and (nice man though he is) I'm calling him on it.

Martinez came in and had an Everton team used to hoofing it for 11 years playing possession football after 2 months of pre-season. They "weren't suited to it either".

If CA cant fashion players to play in different ways then he's fraudulently claiming his salary.

"We only have one way of playing"

This is a BS claim by Carlo, and (nice man though he is) I'm calling him on it.

Martinez came in and had an Everton team used to hoofing it for 11 years playing possession football after 2 months of pre-season. They "weren't suited to it either".

If CA cant fashion players to play in different ways then he's fraudulently claiming his salary.

...that’s me saying ‘we have only one way of playing’, didn’t know CA had said the same, perhaps he read my posts.

The personnel this club has assembled restricts the ways this team can play. It’s a very poor reflection of the squad build. A slow and ponderous midfield, no creativity or threat from wide areas. We can’t camp out in the top third because the opposition easily Wade through us.

I’m not defending Ancelotti, he has to be partly culpable for the complete lack of scope in key areas.

...that’s me saying ‘we have only one way of playing’, didn’t know CA had said the same, perhaps he read my posts.

The personnel this club has assembled restricts the ways this team can play. It’s a very poor reflection of the squad build. A slow and ponderous midfield, no creativity or threat from wide areas. We can’t camp out in the top third because the opposition easily Wade through us.

I’m not defending Ancelotti, he has to be partly culpable for the complete lack of scope in key areas.
He has said exactly that.

Yes, squad building has been poor. But is anyone really suggesting that the players we have cant be coached to bring the ball out from the back?

It's just soooo convenient for Carlo to suggest the players aren't here. He's been one of the best coaches in the world. Is he really saying he cant get experienced professional players to pass to each other accurately and secure the ball moving from defence to midfield?

Shocking if so.

He has said exactly that.

Yes, squad building has been poor. But is anyone really suggesting that the players we have cant be coached to bring the ball out from the back?

It's just soooo convenient for Carlo to suggest the players aren't here. He's been one of the best coaches in the world. Is he really saying he cant get experienced professional players to pass to each other accurately and secure the ball moving from defence to midfield?

Shocking if so.

....I honestly think we are restricted in the way we play, Dave. You can’t train slow footballers to be fast, you can improve quality but you can’t make top quality.

I actually think we play too much at the back. Defenders who are uncomfortable in possession play without purpose (back and sideways). If they’re slow and immobile it becomes high risk (Holgate recently caught in possession leading to a goal. Keane & Holgate recently giving the ball away leading to goals).

No release to midfielders who can break through the lines with pace and skill. It’s genuinely a mess of a squad but could be significantly improved with 3 or 4 key signings.

I reckon our strength is the front two. If we want an alternative, I’d be more inclined to go route one and play long passes behind the opposition.

....I honestly think we are restricted in the way we play, Dave. You can’t train slow footballers to be fast, you can improve quality but you can’t make top quality.

I actually think we play too much at the back. Defenders who are uncomfortable in possession play without purpose (back and sideways). If they’re slow and immobile it becomes high risk (Holgate recently caught in possession leading to a goal. Keane & Holgate recently giving the ball away leading to goals).

No release to midfielders who can break through the lines with pace and skill. It’s genuinely a mess of a squad but could be significantly improved with 3 or 4 key signings.

I reckon our strength is the front two. If we want an alternative, I’d be more inclined to go route one and play long passes behind the opposition.
You dont have to be fast to knock the ball from one player to another. You just need to be good positionally and comfortable on the ball.

While we might play the ball at the back, we dont play out from the back. And a big part of that is we dont have anyone playing centrally who likes doing it.

We could do with playing Godfrey in his rightful position and also Nkounkou at the back more regularly.

Brands is the real story on our style, I know that. However, we cant hand a free pass to any manager that makes a lamentable statment along the lines that he has no professional footballers capable of playing from defence through to midfield. That's just taking the piss.

Status
Not open for further replies.