2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is obvious that the appointment of the next manager will show us how the things in the club exactly stand. Right now I am not blaming Brands much. In fact I am sure there were a few articles back when he was appointed stating that he wasn't convinced by Silva. Also, our squad is full of internationals and I am sure that we will be pleasantly surprised to see what they can achieve under some good management.
However there is something that worries me a lot. Brands is there on daily bases. Why it took so long for the board to understand that Silva is awfully incompetent? I don't think that he could be awesome in training and in his day to day routine and be a fraud just at matchdays. Brands should have noticed and at least reported that long ago.

As director of football this is exactly your job...sell the club to the best players/managers. If you can't fo this then you're on the wrong job. The best director of football are those identifying those top futur play

the best players/managers which you can realistically attract... If you were expecting him to come in here and have us signing world class managers and prospects then you were delusional. We are a club who has to take punts because we cant attract proven quality. Silva was Moshiris guy anyway.

ultimately there are only so many great managers out there and only a few clubs that can attract them, we are not close to being one of those clubs and Brands being here 2 years is not nearly enough time for us to transition into being one of those clubs.

your expectations are unrealistic.

Last edited:

Think there may be a case for his role to be questioned and we do have an imbalance in the squad that is not silvas fault regardless of his failings ....

If somebody can tell me what role Brands played in the appointment of Silva then I will be able to determine what level of blame he should carry now.

I think the players he has signed are good and will do far better with a competent manager.
I think it's difficult to know how well he's doing overall just yet, because we don't know exactly what he's being tasked with. I'm not sure I get the love in for his signings though. If I was grading the signings out of 10 (10 being Coleman/Arteta/Coleman, 1 being Kroldrup) I'd go along these lines:

Gbamin and Lossl not graded because we've not seen them
Sidibe - 5, Decent going forward but awful defensively
Digne - 8, Player of the year by miles last year, poor so far this year. Giving him the benefit of the doubt
Mina - 6, Thought he was starting to look good but has been poor again for 3-4 games now and looks no better than 'alright' on the whole
Delph - 5, Missing a lot through injury, had very little impact when he's played
Gomes - 7, Very hit and miss but on his day he's very very good
Iwobi - 6, Hard to say really, some good stuff but indications are he was bought to play wide and doesn't look good there at all. A lot of money for what we've seen
Bernard - 7, Just a good footballer. Needs more goals/assists but a good signing
Richarlison - 8, Our best player probably, not really a bargain though so marks aren't higher
Kean - 5, i'm sure he'll eventually be graded much higher but we desperately needed a striker and the one we got hasn't scored yet so it ain't good

That's not bad business, but it's hardly earth shattering either. You'd think he was unearthing gems all over the show the way some people talk about it.

I have a bad feeling he's spending most of his time trying to stop Bill from getting Moyes in and trying to stop Moshiri from getting Hughes/Pardew/Allardyce in.

I would argue brands is the only innocent party here. He didnt pick silva so has no weight on that decision, that is the board.

He has signed better quality players, given we started with bolasie and tosun and ended up with richarldson and dinge to name just two.

He isnt setting that team up to lose, he isnt coaching the players.

What more can brands do apart from deliver better players for the manager in charge? Apart from sacking him? And that has to be rubber stamped by his employer either way.

Pulling him up on not signing this player or that player now is just throwing a temper tantrum despite all the ones he did sign. He may have been able to get a new defender, striker, AM etc if he wasnt trying to offload sandro, bolasie and co with their massive wages.

He is not innocent.

The entire running of the club is inept. He's part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.