2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brands is currently untouchable when the manager doesn’t use the gifts he has been given effectively.
We’ve not had a manager who’s used the players to create a better sum of the parts since Moyes, others have lived off that legacy.
We need to invest in a manager that holds Brands to task.

I am always realistic on Roberto. He is a fine manager, but he had a torrid time here last 18 months. He couldn't work with the poor material we had by that point, and they wouldn't work for him. It had to come to an end.

A Roberto at Everton with the cash Koeman had to spend would be a different proposition.

In any case: Brands - a straw man.

It had become a bit farcical under Martinez in the last season but in all reality, we have not massively improved from what we have seen for the first 2 1/2 years of Martinez, I'd say we may have even gone backwards.

If you watch the performances in the first half of his final season, the 3-2 win at West Brom, the wins against Sunderland and Aston Villa, away at Norwich and Bournemouth (which we didn't win) all in pretty much successive games they are miles ahead of anything we have produced since. A mixture of naivety and poor luck meant we didn't really convert the level of points we probably deserved. It didn't help that Lukaku missed a lot of chances.

What I'd say, is there were a relatively simple set of problems to fix when Koeman arrived. We now have far greater problems. At some point, we have to say continually changing the manager hasn't really worked.

"we have no forward who can snap up a chance out of nothing or turn the key on the edge of the box and get team mates in".

They cost money, Dave. A little bit more than the Carpetbagger will fork out, I fear. Hence the signing of Kean, who we all hope will settle and adapt to life in a new league, and previous inept managers squandering of money on ineptitudes like Tosun and Niasse.
We could - after spending all that cash on Walcott, Keane, Richarlison and Iwobi - have had a better blend than we have.

It had become a bit farcical under Martinez in the last season but in all reality, we have not massively improved from what we have seen for the first 2 1/2 years of Martinez, I'd say we may have even gone backwards.

If you watch the performances in the first half of his final season, the 3-2 win at West Brom, the wins against Sunderland and Aston Villa, away at Norwich and Bournemouth (which we didn't win) all in pretty much successive games they are miles ahead of anything we have produced since. A mixture of naivety and poor luck meant we didn't really convert the level of points we probably deserved. It didn't help that Lukaku missed a lot of chances.

What I'd say, is there were a relatively simple set of problems to fix when Koeman arrived. We now have far greater problems. At some point, we have to say continually changing the manager hasn't really worked.
Until we get the right one. Many on here were in disbelief with the hiring of allardyce and silva and so far, they have been proved right. Chelsea have done it on a regular basis since the sacking of mourinho first time around. They wont settle for second best, even when they have won trophies. Why should we?

Roberto's last season could and should have brought a domestic cup.

As I said earlier: if he had the cash Koeman had to spend he'd have had us in a lot better shape.

Roberto's last season could and should have brought a domestic cup.

As I said earlier: if he had the cash Koeman had to spend he'd have had us in a lot better shape.

With respect Dave, based on what?

I mean he signed around 20 players and only 1 of them was any good, thats not the best ratio.

???????????????

Is this insanity????
There's no blend there. It's just a handful of pacy athletes without that much guile, tbf.

That's why we need Bernard nearer them. Sigurdsson cant do the job, for sure. In the absence of having a complimentary strike force we ned Bernard in the hole.

There's no blend there. It's just a handful of pacy athletes without that much guile, tbf.

That's why we need Bernard nearer them. Sigurdsson cant do the job, for sure. In the absence of having a complimentary strike force we ned Bernard in the hole.

And thats down to Brands?

Or the manager?

The blend is fine, stop passing the buck, theres only 1 man who is tactically clueless here.
For ten bob apart from Lukaku.

Roberto would have bought as boss slotter for sure to replace Lukaku.
No, he really wouldnt have, he couldnt pick his nose.

Until we get the right one. Many on here were in disbelief with the hiring of allardyce and silva and so far, they have been proved right. Chelsea have done it on a regular basis since the sacking of mourinho first time around. They wont settle for second best, even when they have won trophies. Why should we?

I understand what you're saying, but I do think the context is vastly different. I would say Chelsea succeeded in spite of going through managers and not because of it. The level of spending they had, relative to the rest of the league completely dwarfs what we have or could spend, and frankly what anyone can currently spend.

How long do we keep going managers for? Which is a costly process? I mean maybe you are right, and we have to emulate what Watford do a bit more, and give people 1-2 year deals and be prepared to change coach more often?

For ten bob apart from Lukaku.

Roberto would have bought as boss slotter for sure to replace Lukaku.

The thing is, you can look at the specifics of transfers and each manager make poor ones. However if you look at net and gross spend it was a lot less than what we've spent subsequently and to me we haven't really moved forward. That's perhaps an uncomfortable conclusion but it's hard to get away from it.

I understand what you're saying, but I do think the context is vastly different. I would say Chelsea succeeded in spite of going through managers and not because of it. The level of spending they had, relative to the rest of the league completely dwarfs what we have or could spend, and frankly what anyone can currently spend.

How long do we keep going managers for? Which is a costly process? I mean maybe you are right, and we have to emulate what Watford do a bit more, and give people 1-2 year deals and be prepared to change coach more often?
I was meaning the ‘search’ should go on till we find the right one. Leave the appointment of picking the next manager solely in the hands if Brands and make him accountable. As Moshiri and Kenwright have frankly shown they are incapable with regard to the task.

Not sure I'd agree with that. What I would agree with is continually changing the manager and the style of football doesn't work. Martinez, to Koeman to Allardyce to Silva is, let's face it, in football style completely schizophrenic.

Status
Not open for further replies.