2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
....oh dear, much too early to assess the new players. Generally speaking, the players Brands has brought in have been our best players. It’s early days for Brands but it’s still very encouraging compared to the Walsh era. Mind you, that’s not saying much.
"Walsh era".

Koeman era...and that is a very low bar to get over.

"Walsh era".

Koeman era...and that is a very low bar to get over.

....no, the Walsh era. As you said about Brands, the DoF takes responsibility for all signings and Walsh is on record as saying he sanctioned every transfer. Regardless, I think Koeman had left when we brought Tosun in and I don’t think you can blame Allardyce for that one.

....no, the Walsh era. As you said about Brands, the DoF takes responsibility for all signings and Walsh is on record as saying he sanctioned every transfer. Regardless, I think Koeman had left when we brought Tosun in and I don’t think you can blame Allardyce for that one.

@davek in “moving goalposts to ram home agenda” shocker

Walsh was not a DoF but a Head Scout...who was over-ridden by a manager who CLEARLY had his paw prints on most of the tat through the doors.

The Koeman Era.

Anyway.. here's the crux of the matter for me:

Brands has brought in good players consistently since he's arrived. The fact that a number of them arrived 'late' in the summer doesn't excuse the fact that the club never seem to do enough preparation in pre season. We always seem to begin the new season no where near full tilt and people wonder why our early season form is ropey at best before dipping significantly by November.

By the time we finally get our act together the season is already two thirds over. That, to me, is simply down to the coaching and not the recruitment.

Let's face it - Silva stumbled into that 'best XI' that we saw at the back end of last season and by then it was too little too late.

Given the amount of money we have spent bringing in good players should be the bare minimum. An adolescent with a copy of FIFA would be able to identify good players. If we are going to place our faith in someone like Brands then they need to overachieve compared to other teams recruitment strategies. So far I don't see it. For our outlay I don't think we have anything special.

With the occasional blip we have been an upper mid table side for a long time. If you look outside the top 6 then we have been generally been in their competing to be the best of the rest. Given the money we have spent then surely we should of kicked on and as a bare minimum should be competing for top 6.

I think we should step back, look at the bigger picture stop scapegoating managers and look at how the Club is being run as a whole. Personally I am sick of being stuck in a self destructive circle of bigging up managers and DoF's, turning on them and then replacing them along with 4 or 5 players at a time. The problem is bigger than individuals and is down to how the Club has been run at the top for decades.

Doesn’t really work that though does it? Winning 1-0 and losing 2-0 are pretty different things, so it’s no surprise that they lead to different reactions.

Obviously.

I'm just asking because if you currently moan about late signings then you should still be in here win or lose last night whinging about late signings.

Didn't see anyone in here moaning after we beat Watford.

Obviously.

I'm just asking because if you currently moan about late signings then you should still be in here win or lose last night whinging about late signings.

Didn't see anyone in here moaning after we beat Watford.
I’m not sure it works like that though. What you’re effectively saying is that if you wouldn’t moan about Calvert Lewin sidefooting it down the centre of the goal if it went in, you shouldn’t moan when it doesn’t. People are using poor performances and results as evidence of their theory. Whether they’re right or not I honestly don’t know, but there’s certainly evidence to suggest they might be.

I’m not sure it works like that though. What you’re effectively saying is that if you wouldn’t moan about Calvert Lewin sidefooting it down the centre of the goal if it went in, you shouldn’t moan when it doesn’t. People are using poor performances and results as evidence of their theory. Whether they’re right or not I honestly don’t know, but there’s certainly evidence to suggest they might be.

It’s the extent of the moaning though. After Watford, I didn’t see people wanting Silva sacked or saying that the new signings were duds. If people have these opinions it shouldn’t take ONE defeat to bring them out. By all means, be critical, but there’s some revisionism going on in here and the Silva thread.

It’s the extent of the moaning though. After Watford, I didn’t see people wanting Silva sacked or saying that the new signings were duds. If people have these opinions it shouldn’t take ONE defeat to bring them out. By all means, be critical, but there’s some revisionism going on in here and the Silva thread.

We were piss poor against Watford mate, and I think a lot of lads pointed that out here even though we won. We got a point against Palace but weren't that great against them either, and there was plenty of discontent on here then.

We just look short in a few areas, I don't know who's to blame.

Can't quite believe we still don't have one single left footed attacking player in our squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.