2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. What has Brands actually been doing the last few months.
Had a tip off from an agent about Kean and acting on it. That must have taken 1-2 days work.
Then digging out a centre mid from Germany to replace Gueye - ok let’s wait and see.
Then a last minute expensive buy in an area that surely wasn’t a priority.
Nice work if you can get it.
Deary me.

No. But our squad probably is stronger, so that's a good thing. But defensively we are in trouble if injuries hit.
As Clough and Kendall knew you build a team from a strong spine, goalkeeper, centre half, central midfield and forward. We are weakened at centre half and centre mid by Zouma and Gueye going. We’ve not replaced one and hard to believe that we’ve really replaced Gueye. On top of that looks like the manager wanted to be able to change to a 433 formation with his pursuit of Doucoure and we’ve failed to recruit to do that as well. Only area we look stronger is up front. 4th spot was up for grabs to me if we recruited well.

We are in no better position than we were in May.

No idea why we didn't have another cb lined up, or why iwobi had to be last minute.
Getting tired of this shout already.

If anything we're in a better position.. but then accept we simply can't state anything definitively either way. That's just football.

You'd honestly think that in Gana and Zouma that we'd lost prime Zidane & Beckenbauer or something based on the reactions of certain posters on GOT...

The stuff about no centre half being a blemish is a bit like buying a house.
Your family come round and say ‘It doesn’t have a roof’.
Oh no problem we’ll survive until christmas then see if we have some savings and will try and get a temporary one.
Jesus wept.

I don't actually rate Gueye all that highly, but considering how much Silva seemed to want to keep him, and looking at some of the prices that other Premier League clubs are asking for their first team players, I would have expected something in the range of £40-50m. The McCarthy fee was also laughably low (unless the report of £3m was false), even for a crock.

The constant outgoing loans are basically him just kicking the can down the road for another year, but I suppose that it doesn't really matter too much as long as the club is still able to play FFP correctly.

Like I said, I think he's doing a good job overall.
McCarthy was 8.5 mil, when you compare it to Delph for the same money, that’s a decent price.

With gana and lookman or any player you’re trying to sell, it’s basically all about who wants them. If Utd wanted gana then we probably would have got 40, same with lookmam if maybe a couple of prem clubs were interested, then add 10mil on.

As Clough and Kendall knew you build a team from a strong spine, goalkeeper, centre half, central midfield and forward. We are weakened at centre half and centre mid by Zouma and Gueye going. We’ve not replaced one and hard to believe that we’ve really replaced Gueye. On top of that looks like the manager wanted to be able to change to a 433 formation with his pursuit of Doucoure and we’ve failed to recruit to do that as well. Only area we look stronger is up front. 4th spot was up for grabs to me if we recruited well.
Agree with most apart from the ridiculous last line.
We have no leaders in the team end of.
We are a king way from 6th mate a mountain away from 4th.
In fact I would suggest 10 players from 4th.
About 5/6 classier players from 6th.
Look how many points we have been off those spots in recent seasons.

Mina + Keane with Holgate as back up.

Is there anyone actually expecting us to break into the top 6 with this? Mina looks all over a WC knee jerk buy, Keane is the very definition of inconsistency, Holgate is a utility player who you call on in a pinch to slot in for a game or two.

WTF was he thinking about leaving that centre defence like that?y be

Spoiler Alert:

We won’t be going three at the back this season.

Bad luck Marco.

Just forget about that formation until next summer please.

The stuff about no centre half being a blemish is a bit like buying a house.
Your family come round and say ‘It doesn’t have a roof’.
Oh no problem we’ll survive until christmas then see if we have some savings and will try and get a temporary one.
Jesus wept.
... except in our case the house still actually has a roof? we have 4 senior players who play CB, plus young Gibson knocking on the door, whom are all fit and available for the start of the season. At worst we could end up with a leak.

Weird analogy..

In 50 years of supporting this club I cannot think of anything in that time more irresponsible than going into a premiership season with Keane (the slowest/immobile centre half in the league), Mina (couldn’t cut it last year, total unknown) and Holgate (championship player guaranteed) as 3 centre halves.
I am honestly completely and utterly in shock that Brands can allow himself to be seen in public.
Having spent hundreds of millions these last few years we have those 3, lost our best centre mid and have 1 centre forward worthy of the name who is foreign and 19!!

Silva is saying it himself. ‘we cannot go into the season with those 3 centre halves’.
He knows he’s probably gone by Christmas.

How anyone thinks this is a good window (because we have sold a handful of surplus players) is completely delusional.

Really?? Nothing at all?? In 50 years??

McCarthy was 8.5 mil, when you compare it to Delph for the same money, that’s a decent price.

With gana and lookman or any player you’re trying to sell, it’s basically all about who wants them. If Utd wanted gana then we probably would have got 40, same with lookmam if maybe a couple of prem clubs were interested, then add 10mil on.
That's fair enough, then.

I don't agree about Gueye, though, unless there was a contract issue that I'm not aware of. Judging by Silva's comments, there was no desire to sell on the club's part, so no real reason to accept a low offer.

Agree. What has Brands actually been doing the last few months.
Had a tip off from an agent about Kean and acting on it. That must have taken 1-2 days work.
Then digging out a centre mid from Germany to replace Gueye - ok let’s wait and see.
Then a last minute expensive buy in an area that surely wasn’t a priority.
Nice work if you can get it.

So how are deals completed mr DoF??

Please enlighten us

I like his style of playing it cool and leaving everything to the last minute, not very effective but very appealing to the Super Blues who like to point and laugh at anyone who dares to critique any signing he makes

Status
Not open for further replies.