2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
It cant be done on the cheap. Shift emphasis away from buying expensive mediocrity and retaining older, past-it players and toward the academy? No problem. But it has to be done by maintaining and improving wage levels for quality players we want brought into the club to get the right squad balance.

If the emphasis now is on claw back on fees paid and reduce wage ceilings reached then we are in for a turbulent near future.

I understand that you are concerned with the overall emphasis being on youth players, but it’s a bit premature to suggest he’ll adopt one particular approach to player recruitment. I feel he will be making savings by making our wage structure work better to introduce a better quality of player with wages suited to getting the deal over the line.

I don’t believe we are just downgrading, we are freeing funds up to spend on improvements.

Whilst I appreciate the concerns you have, any praise or negativity is simply premature.

Purchased Sum: £12.06m
Sold Sum: £39.47m

Sum: £4.73m
Sum: £14.90m

Sum: £18.27m
Sum: £51.75m

Sum: £4.95m
Sum: £4.32m

Sum: £12.87m
Sum: £40.35m

Sum: £7.92m
Sum: £1.31m

Sum: £24.53m
Sum: £14.22m

Sum: £8.55m
Sum: £5.67m

Sum: £6.39m

Total purchases 2010 - 2018
100.27m
Total sales

Thats 1 of the reasons Brands has been brought in.

In 8 years at PSV he turned over 77m in profit on his transfers and they have still won 3 out the last 4 League titles.

Now of course its a different league hes now entered and vastly different figures, so it wont be easy to replicate the same sort of figures, but the fella knows his stuff IMO.

Nice analysis.

Maybe he's thought right I've proved myself doing it the PSV way let's see if I can do something different with a club and league that has more money, him being here doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be the exact same blueprint he may want a different challenge.

As with every other post in this thread it's merely my thoughts no one really knows exactly what is and will unfold.

I understand that you are concerned with the overall emphasis being on youth players, but it’s a bit premature to suggest he’ll adopt one particular approach to player recruitment. I feel he will be making savings by making our wage structure work better to introduce a better quality of player with wages suited to getting the deal over the line.

I don’t believe we are just downgrading, we are freeing funds up to spend on improvements.

Whilst I appreciate the concerns you have, any praise or negativity is simply premature.
I understand that, which is why I say "if" that's to be the plan adopted.

I'm responding to the continually underlined message from Brands since even before he arrived officially here: that costs are coming down and wages are going to bear the strain of much of that cost cutting.

He's here to weild the axe, no question about that and he doesn't bother dressing wis words up and hiding that message either. I think most of us will be of the mind that "yeah, there's been wastage here over the last 2 years so I dont mind that". However, an eye needs to be kept on just how much he's cutting. If it's to the bone then we dont have the academy players or scouting network to make up the shortfall in intended spending...and I sense that others on this forum are making that calculation too.

I would suggest that this summer has to be the one for "getting a grip" on the overall situation so we should see progress in reducing squad numbers and bringing the wage bill down. A lot of the heavy lifting in that regard needs to be done in the next 8 weeks.

We are effectively akin to a government running an unsustainable deficit, so some austerity is in order. The good part is that we can achieve that whilst shifting players (to the degree we can) several of whom contribute nothing of note anyway. But that will be the hard part. I have seen conflicting opinions of the value to us of the proposed Klaassen loan to Besiktas, but in many instances it will simply be a case of lowering the wage bill (current spending) rather than getting in fees for permanent transfers.

I don't expect much of this summer other than to make progress in shifting the deadwood one way or the other, whilst adapting a much more focussed and targeted approach to bring in the three or four new signings we desperately need. But we can't build a sustainable model unless we buy players with their best years ahead of them. Signing players who will hit 30 or beyond after one contract isn't something I'd expect to see very much of, and only in isolated instances.

I'm responding to the continually underlined message from Brands since even before he arrived officially here: that costs are coming down and wages are going to bear the strain of much of that cost cutting.

He's here to weild the axe, no question about that and he doesn't bother dressing wis words up and hiding that message either. I think most of us will be of the mind that "yeah, there's been wastage here over the last 2 years so I dont mind that". However, an eye needs to be kept on just how much he's cutting. If it's to the bone then we dont have the academy players or scouting network to make up the shortfall in intended spending...and I sense that others on this forum are making that calculation too.
He isn't daft Dave. A guy of his experience and his reputation won't risk running us that thin, I'm very confident of that.

If you are right, are you expecting a flurry of outs without monies being put back in? I’m just curious how you will gauge this. The timeline also.

Personally, I’m very excited about this new direction the club seem to be taking. We need to forget about matching teams like Liverpool and Spurs for now, the gap is too big, let’s just make sure we can make sure we are DEFINITELY the best of the rest, then take it from there. Nothing is done overnight.

BUT I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

If you are right, are you expecting a flurry of outs without monies being put back in? I’m just curious how you will gauge this. The timeline also.

At the moment I'm expecting (from what's been said) sales to the tune of £60M-£70M by shifting out 7/8 saleable players and for us to buy a maximum of 4 with it (and release or loan out another 3/4 we cant immediately get fees for). That'll be supplemented with a process of promotion from the academy to match day squads and we';ll dig into that as the season progresses and injuries/suspensions pile up.

That strategy relies on making quality signings and having the talent at the academy to promote from within.

It'd be an experiment. A lot would be up for that after the appalling waste and knock to the club's reputation so far from spending big. I get that. But it's a chance being taken nevertheless.

Purchased Sum: £12.06m
Sold Sum: £39.47m

Sum: £4.73m
Sum: £14.90m

Sum: £18.27m
Sum: £51.75m

Sum: £4.95m
Sum: £4.32m

Sum: £12.87m
Sum: £40.35m

Sum: £7.92m
Sum: £1.31m

Sum: £24.53m
Sum: £14.22m

Sum: £8.55m

Sum: £6.39m

Total purchases 2010 - 2018
100.27m
Total sales

Thats 1 of the reasons Brands has been brought in.

In 8 years at PSV he turned over 77m in profit on his transfers and they have still won 3 out the last 4 League titles.

Now of course its a different league hes now entered and vastly different figures, so it wont be easy to replicate the same sort of figures, but the fella knows his stuff IMO.
It's good to see you're onboard with the predicted austerity programme now. I know you were going on about a big net spend again this season until pretty recently. :coffee:

At the moment I'm expecting (from what's been said) sales to the tune of £60M-£70M by shifting out 7/8 saleable players and for us to buy a maximum of 4 with it (and release or loan out another 3/4 we cant immediately get fees for). That'll be supplemented with a process of promotion from the academy to match day squads and we';ll dig into that as the season progresses and injuries/suspensions pile up.

That strategy relies on making quality signings and having the talent at the academy to promote from within.

It'd be an experiment. A lot would be up for that after the appalling waste and knock to the club's reputation so far from spending big. I get that. But it's a chance being taken nevertheless.
I'd back this policy. Just hope Silva can coach it and keep us out of trouble and show the fans that something is fundamentally right with this system if we stick with it.

If we get everything right with this approach it'll be a miracle. Get Europe and I'll be doffing my cap.

We shall see what we should see.

Yup, don't think we'll see anything like the lunacy of last summers transfer window (It was exciting at the time, mind :p )

More outs than ins a given really.

Probably only 2 or 3 in max to drop straight into the first team. I imagine any other signings will be prospects for the future given Brands reputation for that type of thing.

As long as we see continual movement towards improvement on last season, I am ok with this.

There will be occasional blips, I hope our fans still have some emergency supply of patience stored away for when that happens!

It's good to see you're onboard with the predicted austerity programme now. I know you were going on about a big net spend again this season until pretty recently. :coffee:

Only a fool doesnt change their view when presented with evidence to suggest something different to what they first assumed.

And I aint a fool.

But I prefer the word prudence, rather than austerity.

Theres money there if needed, but the message is very clear, we cant keep offering vast sums each week to players who wont make a difference. For me its not about money, it never has been, its about the quality of the squad, currently the squad is in a bad place, lets punt all those that wont make a difference and buy players that will, if that means we dont spend any money this window, great, as long as the squad is in a fit state to compete.

Im very truthful David, if the squad isnt good enough, I will say it, I said it last Summer, the squad wasnt good enough and we struggled big time. But im not expecting everything to be sorted in 1 window, its going to take time to right the wrongs, to build a squad, but im expecting some sort of plan, not the mayhem that we witnessed last summer for sure.

I expect LOTS of outgoings, sales and loans, before we start seeing some Ins, its very prudent. We currently have 38 players in our first team squad, its not workable.

Status
Not open for further replies.