Match Thread Manchester City v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what was the worst thing about the match having had a couple of days to dwell on it? Fanny Murphy being completely correct about the way Everton were trying to play out of defence and getting themselves into trouble.

We are not a terrible team, though the last few games would suggest that we are far from a place where we can be happy about the state of the team. City are the yardstick to measure ourselves against, and we had enough chances to take something from the game, but were sloppy at the back that when City stepped up a gear, they sliced us apart like it was nothing.

Oh for a clinical striker. Oh for a better drilled defensive unit. But only time will get those. I do hope that Silva gets a little lucky sooner rather than later, as he needs it in order to cement himself in his position, as I really do like how the team is trying to play.

Oh well, who is next up? Spurs? Shi...

Honestly, I don't think we played badly.

We weren't great, no. We just played alright. Ultimately you can't play 'alright' against City and get a result.

We created more chances there than any other PL team this season. Just like we did at Anfield. The system is working. The tactics are working. We're not putting the chances away.

I'm far more frustrated that we didn't beat Newcastle and Watford than I am that we lost to City.

But we're where we are because that's the level of the squad at the moment. It'll come, it's just going to take time.

Do you know what was the worst thing about the match having had a couple of days to dwell on it? Fanny Murphy being completely correct about the way Everton were trying to play out of defence and getting themselves into trouble.

We are not a terrible team, though the last few games would suggest that we are far from a place where we can be happy about the state of the team. City are the yardstick to measure ourselves against, and we had enough chances to take something from the game, but were sloppy at the back that when City stepped up a gear, they sliced us apart like it was nothing.

Oh for a clinical striker. Oh for a better drilled defensive unit. But only time will get those. I do hope that Silva gets a little lucky sooner rather than later, as he needs it in order to cement himself in his position, as I really do like how the team is trying to play.

Oh well, who is next up? Spurs? Shi...

Honestly, I don't think we are badly drilled.

Mina made a mistake for the first goal, which Silva highlighted. He said it was the plan to play out from the back (whether you agree with it or not - I don't - at least there is a plan), but in that situation Mina should have just cleared it. Mina panicked, it happens.

For the second goal, Keane completely switches off. Not something he's done much this season. But, it happens. Same with Mina for the third goal.

We missed our chances. We HAVE to put them away but this is why I don't blame anybody really. The chances are coming, the manager can't head/kick them in.

It's really frustrating to have dropped points at home against some of the teams we've played but losing away at City, especially having created a few good chances, is not the end of the world. Hardly anyone, including top 6 sides, gets anything away at City. In fact, apart from City, even top 6 sides rarely win away at other top 6 sides. It's all very well getting frustrated when we fall short of realistic targets, but people who think we should be measuring ourselves against City at the Etihad (or even Liverpool at the pit this season) are dreaming. We've played 5 of the hardest 6 games of the season already (City, the RS, Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd away), including the two most difficult. We're in the league position we finished at the end of last season and only 2 points off 6th. And we're playing far better football. Look up, blues.

Honestly, I don't think we are badly drilled.

Mina made a mistake for the first goal, which Silva highlighted. He said it was the plan to play out from the back (whether you agree with it or not - I don't - at least there is a plan), but in that situation Mina should have just cleared it. Mina panicked, it happens.

For the second goal, Keane completely switches off. Not something he's done much this season. But, it happens. Same with Mina for the third goal.

We missed our chances. We HAVE to put them away but this is why I don't blame anybody really. The chances are coming, the manager can't head/kick them in.
I am mostly in agreement with this. What I meant to get at, was the longer that defence is together and played and worked with, the more seamless it will become and it will become harder and harder to break down. Time will get us there, sales, injuries and age of players not withstanding.

Onwards and upwards.

Honestly, I don't think we played badly.

We weren't great, no. We just played alright. Ultimately you can't play 'alright' against City and get a result.

We created more chances there than any other PL team this season. Just like we did at Anfield. The system is working. The tactics are working. We're not putting the chances away.

I'm far more frustrated that we didn't beat Newcastle and Watford than I am that we lost to City.

But we're where we are because that's the level of the squad at the moment. It'll come, it's just going to take time.

Absolutely spot on there fella.

Application and concentration against 'lower teams' has cost us 10+ points and a shot at 4th this season:

Draws after being ahead against Wolves & Bournemouth
Recent draws vs Newcastle and Watford
Losing to West Ham at home
Loss of a point vs Reds.

No point complaining against losing out to a top 10 European side. When Ferguson and Mourinho were winning the title, they never worried too much about the head to head top 4 stuff, it was about crowning the minnows home and away...

Concentration Marco my man , keep 'em at it for 95 mins, not 75.

Over achieving? We've spent bucket loads of money again and we have less points than last season. This is the reality lol.

We've drawn or lost at home to almost all the teams we beat last season, dodgy officiating or not that's really poor and with the top 6 so 'open' this year I feel like we've missed a big chance

I think the millions have stopped us being relegation fodder, which but for gravy Sam destroying football, we would have been with last seasons squad.
The additions this season have defo improved the squad and we are a safe mid table side.
The back 4 is a massive improvement on last season, but we are such a long way from being a finished article.
This season will stutter along for sure. Results aside, our standard of football has been more pleasing on the eye.
Having so many new signings at the start of the season, I would bite your hand off for mid table obscurity this season and keep my fingers crossed for next season.I reckon we are good for 48-52 points.
Just my own thoughts on it all. :)

I think the millions have stopped us being relegation fodder, which but for gravy Sam destroying football, we would have been with last seasons squad.
The additions this season have defo improved the squad and we are a safe mid table side.
The back 4 is a massive improvement on last season, but we are such a long way from being a finished article.
This season will stutter along for sure. Results aside, our standard of football has been more pleasing on the eye.
Having so many new signings at the start of the season, I would bite your hand off for mid table obscurity this season and keep my fingers crossed for next season.I reckon we are good for 48-52 points.
Just my own thoughts on it all. :)
I don't think we were relegation fodder. I do think that we could have had someone more creative and less repulsive as Fat Scam, but the past is the past. At the start of the season, I essentially wanted what you said in the bulk of your post and was resigned to losing this season as we built decent foundations to play attractive winning football over the long term. It's what we are probably getting, but it isn't half frustrating that we aren't doing better with how we have been playing - but that's just human nature I guess.

Gentle reminder... this Man of the Match Poll doesn't close till 2.11pm Thursday afternoon... if you haven't yet voted, don't delay ;);)

Status
Not open for further replies.