Maarten Stekelenburg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I correct in saying he was substituted towards the end of a word cup match on 2014 because the second keeper (Tim Krul?) was supposedly better at pens. Or am I getting him mixed up with somebody else?

Think that was Cillesen mate. If Stek was in goal that night they wouldn't have needed to make a sub, it would seem.

Well said. Everyone remarking on the penalty saves but at least two other fantastic saves. Even the moron Niall Quinn remarked that the save from De Bruyne was better than the two penalty saves

Yep those penalty saves were timid compared to the De Bruyne save ( what a world class goal that would have been just to have the balls to hit it from there without a second thought ) plus the one straight after the 2nd pen which is flying into the top corner until he tips it round the post.

It really was a world class goalkeeping performance and I haven't said that about an Everton keeper since probably Nigel Martyn and of course Neville Southall.

Unbelievable performance. One of the best goalkeeping displays from an Everton keeper in many a year. 2 of the saves were absolutely world class.
Well we just need to show our appreciation for his efforts when he takes up position at our next home game. Ideally having to swap ends at the kick off and raise the roof as he makes his way to the Park End.
I tell you what though, I was at the cup replay against Wolves in 1967 which we won to set up the Alan Ball derby winner match.
Westy had given a performance like no other at Molineux to earn us the replay, and just as I described above, the Old lady rose as one as Gordon went from the Street End to the Park End at kick off.
More of that please;)

But but...Hart was available.

I'd still take Hart mate but today was a beast of a performance, I'd rather we win 10-0 with our keeper having nothing to do but I love our players getting stuck in and digging deep earning their wage. A few more performances like that throughout the season and it will look like an unbelievably astute signing.

I can't wait to watch the highlights later.

Well we just need to show our appreciation for his efforts when he takes up position at our next home game. Ideally having to swap ends at the kick off and raise the roof as he makes his way to the Park End.
I tell you what though, I was at the cup replay against Wolves in 1967 which we won to set up the Alan Ball derby winner match.
Westy had given a performance like no other at Molineux to earn us the replay, and just as I described above, the Old lady rose as one as Gordon went from the Street End to the Park End at kick off.
More of that please;)

Never had the pleasure of seeing West in his prime mate but I'm aware he was held in high esteem. I've always thought us Evertonians have been appreciative of goalkeepers and their performance and I think Stekkers will get a massive applause next home game.

Really was a majestic performance, very very rare to see such performances these days.

Other than a few moments of madness from Jags, I thought we were solid, at the back and a lot of that starts with the keeper, the foundation of any defence. He played a blinder today, especially the save from De Bruyne (perfect strike from him).
Steks confidence has to be high now, which can only bide well for the rest of the team. Well done, lad!

Think that was Cillesen mate. If Stek was in goal that night they wouldn't have needed to make a sub, it would seem.

It was Cillissen indeed! Stekelenburg was not in the Dutch squad for that tournament because he didn't play for Fulham at the time. Cillissen played the penalty serie in the semi-final against Argentine and couldn't even stop Aguero's penalty:D

Status
Not open for further replies.