2018/19 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said it in the Arsenal match thread, and I don’t know why, but I have a funny feeling Baines will start against Arsenal.
If Silva's calculation is that Baines is a better defender and more experienced then he's going to be in for a nasty shock.

Richarlison is going to have to work his bollocks off running back for Baines all afternoon...as he has since he arrived here.

If Silva does drop Digne it means he's dropped our one and only success story from that West Ham defeat for no good reason as far as I'm concerned.

said when we bought him i felt he'd be here for one season, be great and then a team like chelsea or arsenal will be buying him from us.

Digne is a good player and shows passion with it. He needs to start telling our thick CM's and CB's that he may be leaving our half of the pitch to try and help the attack with some decent crosses so could they please cover his position when he vacates it. Maybe it is a language problem. Also he should inform the fans that he is going forward and ask the fans to politely ask those players to cover him instead of wrongly accusing him of being out of position. His last resort is not to go forward and stay in a defensive position but I have a feeling that would not go down too well with the fans.

Agreed although he’s probably very confused at the moment. Smashing teams week in week out with Barca, to being smashed week in and week out with Everton.
I expect his hair line to retreat as much as our back line does this season.

He is excellent going forward, but I don't think we should look over that he was very suspect relating to the second goal. Offside or not, he thinks Zouma has dealt with the ball before they go on the break and stops running to cover the space behind Zouma; this is the space that Arsenal then break in to and create the 3v1 with which ends up putting the game to bed.

Think he needs to adapt his game defensively, and quick.

We don't know what Silva tells him, but he seems 10 yards further forward than the rest of the defence. He's not at PSG, Barcelona etc any more, perhaps needs to adjust...

Think he needs to adapt his game defensively, and quick.

We don't know what Silva tells him, but he seems 10 yards further forward than the rest of the defence. He's not at PSG, Barcelona etc any more, perhaps needs to adjust...

This is spot on, but I have a feeling it is a tactical thing as opposed to just him. The reason I say this is because I find Kenny also tends to be massively up the pitch (and subsequently caught on the counter). I suspect this is as part of a tactical approach to try and spread the pitch as wide as possible, given that Holebas played very close to Richarlison and on the other flank Femenia played very close to Carrilo whilst Silva was at Watford. Having said that, I'm worried at how long it is taking for our side to get a feel for when to push up and when to hold back; this was particularly bad against Bournemouth where we were constantly done on the break. It's even worse when you consider that we have no one who can be creative from deep (Gomes maybe?)

very similar to Martinez setup. Eerily similar. Fullback pushing so high we’re always struggling with counter attack. There’s no balance and playing with such suicidal arrogance will be Silva downfall.

It’s not Digne fault, clearly given the freedom to roam forward.

We’ve conceded at least 3 goals this season with fullback out of position. I can see us conceding 20 more of Silva continue to adopt such suicidal tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.