Homepage Update: Liverpool vs Everton - Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Kenny or Coleman be used at left back?

It's sure better than Martina at left back

If I was Allardyce then my priority would be for Ryan Sessegnon at Fulham for left back...but whoever he goes for, when coleman is back I think we will already have a left back in place with baines as rotation option.

We didn’t deserve anything from that.

Said almost every team who ever lost to Italian international and club teams...

Red fan here. Congrats to Sam and Everton, for the point. Can't say it was deserved but none the less, Liverpool failed to take advantage of their opportunities.
Penalty was a bit soft, I am guessing Everton fans wouldn't have been happy if that was given against them.
Sam managed to organize that defence well in such a short time, always knew he could do that. Looking forward to the match at Goodison and the FA cup.

How many chances did you have on target?

Can honestly say I call things like that in a totally unbiased fashion - it's a penalty, regardless of what end it occurred at.

Similarly, Salah didn't foul Martina and it was a sensational goal. Gomez should have been booked early on. etc. etc.

Football is football for me - no point in lying to myself as it changes nothing; I just view the incident. Sure, these things can be subjective, but for that penalty, by the laws of the game, it's objectively the right decision.

Furthermore, you say the point wasn't deserved, but we nullified you to three shots on target to our two and set up to play that way. So we executed our game plan arguably better than you did, so "deserved" is a fair description for our point in my view.

Correct

I voted for Cuco. Twice. NEA.
The pen was just desserts for DCL after 90+ minutes of thankless running and closing down.
In added time you could see him, Kenny, Gana and Sigurdsson dead on their feet. As a spectacle the game was pretty poor, but Allardyce set them up not to ship a shedload of goals.
Klopp needs a gentle reminder that teams shouldn’t turn up to Analfield merely to provide cannon fodder. Immensely proud of the Blues’ fight.

Completely don't get the point you're trying to make here? If you're making some vague reference to catenaccio that died a long time ago.

Perhaps you could expand on a how a team, any team 'deserves' to win a game of football?

Is it having 3 shots on goal to 2?
Is it having tonnes of possession?
Or is it scoring goals whilst conceding less?

I think 'deserving' a win is nonsense when you look at the old Italian sides who would just score then invite waves of attacks at them and win the game

Perhaps you could expand on a how a team, any team 'deserves' to win a game of football?

Is it having 3 shots on goal to 2?
Is it having tonnes of possession?
Or is it scoring goals whilst conceding less?

I think 'deserving' a win is nonsense when you look at the old Italian sides who would just score then invite waves of attacks at them and win the game

Because aside from Lovren being a tit we didn't create one goalscoring oppurtunity in my eyes. So how can we have deserved to take anything from the game?

First the reality check...I don't know what the stats are for loss of possession/incomplete passes, but my guess is it was one of our worst ever.

Maybe we are not ready to go toe to toe against certain teams in terms of all out attack, but we have got to have better possession, keeping it longer and passing to someone else in an EFC jersey if at all possible. How many times did we kick the ball out of play?

There is also a need to close down stronger teams, and West Ham provided a great example of how to do this on Saturday (dare I say it, Moyes at his best). Instead we are sitting way too deep and inviting attack after attack - with the notable exceptions of Gana, Kenny, Holgate and DCL.

Yes that shower only had three on target, but there were quite a few that were very close, and they could have been out of sight by HT if Mane had not been so selfish.

However, I am thoroughly enjoying the moments, especially Rooney's pass to DCL; getting our second penalty at the pit since WWII (just checked 1988 was Wayne Clarke on 11 December and before that it was Tommy Lawton in October 1937!!!); Rooney's reaction to scoring against that lot; but especially Klopp at FT and in the first presser, and the almost universal opprobrium heaped on him - even a load of RS pundits had to admit he was totally wrong. As for the interventions from Barnes and Collins, I won't comment!!

With senior injured players coming back, and the youngsters getting more savvy as they clock up mileage in the Premier League, I dare to hope that we will see further improvements for the rest of the season, and maybe even a nice Cup run.

why didn't we deserve a point can someone tell me ?. We have just come up possibly one of the most inform attacks in European football. hung in there when it got tough when a month ago we would have crumbled and gone down by five or more. got one chance and took it, flamin well deserved point imo.
They are harping on about playing their reserves.How many players do we have out injured? We played to pick up at least a point and got one,job done!

Because aside from Lovren being a tit we didn't create one goalscoring oppurtunity in my eyes. So how can we have deserved to take anything from the game?

..there’s two aspects of the game, what you do when you have the ball and what you do when you don’t. I thought we were awful with the ball but we did ok without it. Gueye, Kenny, Williams, Holgate and Pickford did well defensively but we were poor in front of both full backs.

The really encouraging thing for me is that we can only improve on that performance yet still managed to cope with them. They had key players missing by choice, we have 5 or 6 who could arguably have played but weren’t available (McCarthy, Coleman, Baines, Bolasie, Mori and Barkley). Given the circumstances, whether we deserved a draw is a moot point.

Can we just take a moment to consider we've just got a point from our toughest game of the season with NO first choice defenders playing.

Kenny is our 2nd choice right back (and doing a fine job in Coleman's absence), Holgate would normally be backup to either Williams or Jagielka, Keane would normally be starting, as would Baines. You'd imagine Mori would get the nod over the pensioners Williams/Jagielka.

We have 3/4 of a midfield missing in McCarthy (who must surely be as likely as Schneiderln to start games when he's fit), Barkley (even if he's off, he'd be starting games if he was fit) and Bolasie who will start when fit again. Gueye is playing poorly but has no competition as Davies isn't doing well, Besic cannot be relied on and isn't that good anyway, and Scheiderlin has somehow been worse than Gueye this season.

We wanted a striker desperately in the transfer window but were not afforded one, so we started with Niasse and DCL up front simply out of necessity, not because form dictated they play.

Coleman, Mori, Keane, Baines, McCarthy, Barkley, Bolasie

If we translate these players to Liverpool's equivalents - Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Moreno, Henderson, Mane, Coutinho - do we think they'd do anything other than try to contain if they visited Goodison with us having close to a fully fit squad to pick from? No chance!

The tactics were right, even if our performance was, largely, poor. Surely, surely we have already addressed areas that urgently require strengthening... left back, creativity in midfield, a striker. When is Mori supported to be back? If it's by end of January I think we can muddle on without a new CB until end of season. But left back a striker are the two main ones.

Can we just take a moment to consider we've just got a point from our toughest game of the season with NO first choice defenders playing.

Kenny is our 2nd choice right back (and doing a fine job in Coleman's absence), Holgate would normally be backup to either Williams or Jagielka, Keane would normally be starting, as would Baines. You'd imagine Mori would get the nod over the pensioners Williams/Jagielka.

We have 3/4 of a midfield missing in McCarthy (who must surely be as likely as Schneiderln to start games when he's fit), Barkley (even if he's off, he'd be starting games if he was fit) and Bolasie who will start when fit again. Gueye is playing poorly but has no competition as Davies isn't doing well, Besic cannot be relied on and isn't that good anyway, and Scheiderlin has somehow been worse than Gueye this season.

We wanted a striker desperately in the transfer window but were not afforded one, so we started with Niasse and DCL up front simply out of necessity, not because form dictated they play.

Coleman, Mori, Keane, Baines, McCarthy, Barkley, Bolasie

If we translate these players to Liverpool's equivalents - Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Moreno, Henderson, Mane, Coutinho - do we think they'd do anything other than try to contain if they visited Goodison with us having close to a fully fit squad to pick from? No chance!

The tactics were right, even if our performance was, largely, poor. Surely, surely we have already addressed areas that urgently require strengthening... left back, creativity in midfield, a striker. When is Mori supported to be back? If it's by end of January I think we can muddle on without a new CB until end of season. But left back a striker are the two main ones.

As advocated, have taken time to consider and I still consider yesterday’s performance dire.

At least with Unsworth at the helm, we managed to get out of our own half and score the odd goal. Perhaps he had access to more first teamers, or did I miss something?

Get it sorted by the our next meeting, Sam.

Last edited:
Il accept that one performance as it got us a point away from home in the derby but I never want to see us set-up like that again!! That was painful to watch not because of who we were playing but because the football (if we can actually call it that) we served up from an attacking sense was diabolical.

Status
Not open for further replies.