Match Thread Liverpool v Everton : Sunday 24th April 2022 : Kick Off 4.30pm

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I won’t be tuning in for this one. Hate these games at the best of times. Going to do some gardening and refresh this thread every few minutes instead. My son has this blind, youthful optimism that we’re going to get something, so he will be watching. It’ll be painful to see his hopes crushed once again.

As for the mad barstools who are actually going to our old ground, you have my complete admiration and respect. Hope they can pull a miracle out of the bag for you.

A 2 year old analysis but I believe it to be accurate. You can't just have a high press against Liverpool or it will end in disaster and then sitting deep will just lead to the inevitable.

The teams with the best results against Liverpool have used controlled aggression. Control the space in midfield with 5 men and choose to counter attack wisely when Liverpool are over extended.

As I've said previously, the sum of all our parts are far greater than Burnley's, but we don't match what we offer as a collective. They play more like a team.

As fans we've got very little belief regarding today's performance due to their performances; I hope they have as little belief otherwise it's already a loss.

The RS will play a strong team today as a win is vital for them with the hope they can bring key players off around 50-60 mins if they're comfortable.
This is exactly it. Said it in another thread about our midfield, part of it is because a lot of our squad just don't complement each other.

They all have weaknesses that the right mix can compensate for, but our transfer policy has been so scattergun and poor we dont have it.

Those that do help to make an effective blend are often crocked. Chuck in the mentality question and here we are.

Biggest derby of recent years.

Win and we take a giant step to safety and potentially derail their title bid.

Because this one means an awful lot to us, it’s a given that we get bummed in by at least 4 goals.

This is exactly it. Said it in another thread about our midfield, part of it is because a lot of our squad just don't complement each other.

They all have weaknesses that the right mix can compensate for, but our transfer policy has been so scattergun and poor we dont have it.

Those that do help to make an effective blend are often crocked. Chuck in the mentality question and here we are.
What is Everton's style of play? Of course I'm talking about Lampard in the here and now, but for the entirety of the season I really couldn't answer it.

We lack an identify - we don't have a philosophy of play. All we need is one injury and we're forced to adapt and tinker, whereas good teams let players slot in.

Just 0-0 them. Don’t give them anything. They’ll start to panic the longer it goes on. They have to win the game and will have an eye on midweek. Anything other than them being a few up early doors becomes a problem for them as the game goes on. We just need to stay in the game and they will give us a chance on the counter at some point as they get more ragged. We just can’t concede early.

What is Everton's style of play? Of course I'm talking about Lampard in the here and now, but for the entirety of the season I really couldn't answer it.

We lack an identify - we don't have a philosophy of play. All we need is one injury and we're forced to adapt and tinker, whereas good teams let players slot in.
I kind of agree with that, but I also see the virtue of a squad who will roll up their sleeves and scrap it out in adversity too. Or a manager who will be entirely pragmatic. Here I think of Moyes who was often hobbled by a thin squad and injuries, but would galvanise the team and find a workaround. Or Ancelotti tightening up and using the 'wall'.

Difference here is the resources Everton have available should mean we shouldn't need to do this! Yet here we are.

think the worst part will be sky banging on about how unfair we were to benitez after the match

they might even wheel him out

Just 0-0 them. Don’t give them anything. They’ll start to panic the longer it goes on. They have to win the game and will have an eye on midweek. Anything other than them being a few up early doors becomes a problem for them as the game goes on. We just need to stay in the game and they will give us a chance on the counter at some point as they get more ragged. We just can’t concede early.

I honestly reckon we will let them score in the first 5 minutes and the game will be over as a contest by the 15th minute

Status
Not open for further replies.