Lewis Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would expect Holgate and Gibson to be given game time in the early league cup games. Let’s hope they can seize whatever chances present themselves this season and go on to become the quality CBs I honestly believe they are both capable of becoming.
Those early cup games we lose and everybody moans that we don't take the cup competitions seriously?

He'll be buzzing this evening, he knows he's gonna be one of the 4 so at some stage this kid is gonna be needed.

Out of all the players this pre season he looked the most capable ( though I said I still don't think he done enough to be part of the 1st team squad yet)

Needs must though, so it's up to him and Holgate to show that they can be relied upon when needed

Gibson will be fine if we develop him in the right circumstances. Giving him minutes alongside Keane with Digne to his left would work well, sticking him in with Baines and Holgate in a league cup game and he’ll likely struggle. At his age he’ll probably make mistakes just allow him time to develop .

Lad is quality. I don’t think we should overhype him but he should play a role this season.

Those early cup games we lose and everybody moans that we don't take the cup competitions seriously?
It would be nice to see us lift the league cup, I’ve been to two finals and endless replays and always ended up on the losing side.
But since it’s inception it’s always been an unloved competition and if you make it as far as the semis you still have to be good enough to beat an elite team.
The league is by far the most important competition and always has been. We need to give our youngsters and second string players some game time to ensure they are fit and able when called upon.
Like it or loathe it, the early rounds of the league cup represent the best opportunities to do this.

Every since the window has slammed shut, I've often been stuck with the the thought how in 2014 when the 72 point watermark was hit, injuries led to relying on a highly touted 19 year old defender. And that 19 year old was a key facet in many late season wins that made a 4th place finish feel possible.

Now, I may know little about young Lewis but I can hope if the opportunity comes he has what it takes to seize the moment and make a similar mark (albeit hopefully with a better ending). Because isn't that one of the things that make sports great? Seeing new, unpredictable and fun moments happen.

Notice in the press conference Marco speaks of having "three centre backs" and doesn't even mention Gibson. Interesting.

More than happy with him and feeney sharing the burden of 5th choice defender, but 4th choice is a bit scary. No lack of confidence in his ability, just experience.

I didnt see his name in the squad number released.
I guess those are the current first team squad numbers and we’ll release more for the youngsters soon.
This time last year in another thread I responded to a question of is he likely to get first team games 2018/19 season .

blueloon said:
Yep, I’ll hold my hand up and say I could see him get some first team mins this season , probably as a LB for starters, so may depend on who we buy.”
That was just before we bought Digne when I saw him as potential back up to Baines. I’m hoping I’ll be right this season, he may not be one of the first choice 3 CBs but if we get an injury/ suspension he’s ideal for the bench , covering two positions. Plus he’s played and trained with the first team , knows Silva’s tactics and importantly Silva knows him. He just lacks experience now ..... and he’ll need patience for us to persevere with him when the inevitable mistakes happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.