Lewis Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think you could have seen him play mate.

Never a yard dog.

A combative centre half who could play.

If this kid is half as good we have some player on our hands
Unfortunately I am quite old mate, so I remember that Ipswich team as being an absolute cracking team and great to watch.

Think you might be getting mixed up with James Beattie, Kevin was a very good player for Ipswich if I remember right.
Bit of a yard dog, who played in a very good team - Mariner, Wark et al.
Don't think you could have seen him play mate.

Never a yard dog.

A combative centre half who could play.

If this kid is half as good we have some player on our hands

...Brian Robson once said Beattie was the best English born player he’d ever seen. I suspect that might have been a pre-Gasgoine quote but regardless, Robson was a top player and Manager so it is some accolade.

I made the comparison based on body shape as much as playing style. I think it’s always useful to make such comparisons even though we are not for one minute suggesting one player will turn out to be as good as the other.

Unfortunately I am quite old mate, so I remember that Ipswich team as being an absolute cracking team and great to watch.
Me too and you are spot on.
From my recollection he was a superb player for them.
The touch of Frans Thijsen ( spelling ) and the toughness of Terry Butcher

...Brian Robson once said Beattie was the best English born player he’d ever seen. I suspect that might have been a pre-Gasgoine quote but regardless, Robson was a top player and Manager so it is some accolade.

I made the comparison based on body shape as much as playing style. I think it’s always useful to make such comparisons even though we are not for one minute suggesting one player will turn out to be as good as the other.

...apologies, that should read Bobby Robson.

I’ve lived in Ipswich my entire life. Kevin Beattie is an Ipswich town legend, amongst others of that era. Outstanding player.

Mick Mills, John Wark, Arnold Muhren, Paul Mariner, Alan Brazil, Terry Butcher, the list is endless. You’ve also got those who were horribly underrated like Eric Gates and Russell Osman etc. All of course managed by a certain Bobby Robson.

They had one hell of a team back in the late 70’s early 80’s and it’s a real shame to see where they are today

Agreed
You need a face like Steve Bruce,Jaap Stam or Kevin Moran to be a good defender.
I know they are all manure defenders but i could not think of any ugly everton defenders lol
Craig Short and Alan Stubbs want a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.