Let's take a step back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even just the improvement in goal keeper and centreback will see a points uplift for us. We've effectively been hamstrung by poor keeping for so many seasons now. If Pickford can perform at a good level that's a massive improvement before you even look st other signings.

There would have been uproar from the manager had it not been used for player additions

And people here would still moan, yet turn up to the match every fortnight.

My point being, there's worse owners out there who wouldn't do what we are.

Again, I for one am grateful. I am fully prepared for a roller coaster ride this season! With more of the ups and less of the downs!

Personally I don't believe the whole Spurs team is suddenly worth 50M per player.

In my opinion they have some average first team players like Rose, Dier, Wanyama, Lamela, even walker I believe is limited to an extend and I believe these players have been made to look like worldies because they are in a good hardworking energetic team, however if you take them apart and sell them individually there is not a chance they are worth what some suggest.
Fully agree with this post,ok they've had a couple of good seasons and have a decent squad still won nothing though.2 league titles in their entire history ,last one 56 years ago!Always been well overhyped by the media .

The best thing is that if some of these players aren't the new spine we hope they are (Stones, McCarthy and Barkley were the next 10 years once, remember?) then the infastructure is now in place so that we'll be able to deal with it.

Not start from scratch every few years.

Spending money we're likely to make back due to player sales is no statement.

This transfer window is different. No one actually knows whether we will sell Lukaku, even if it is is looking most likely.

The difference this year is that Everton are actually being noticed by rival supporters, ex players and the media for a change. If you look at how Everton are being spoken about by a lot of people who don't support the club, most are concentrating on the spending rather than mentioning the potential sales.

This is because we are actually showing ambition by getting purchases in early and with the type of player we are looking to bring in. You've got Fowler praising us, Carragher throwing bitter comments around on Twitter and if you go and read some other Premier League forums there is a thread about Everton on a fair few of them.

For years Everton have been overlooked in the Media at the expense of sides like Newcastle, West Ham and Spurs and the perception of us was that we had no ambition and didn't deserve to be spoken about in the same category as the popular sky teams. Now we're the talk of the league for the time being and when the Stadium moves forward late this year/early next, we will be recognised even more as a genuine contender as a top 6 club.

I don't know why fans like yourself can't take enjoyment from things like this? Why focus on the negative all the time?

I fundamentally disagree. We have spent a shed load more than we've ever spent before. There's no 'where's the Arteta/Rodwell/Fellaini/Rooney/whoever money...?' going on here - wow, that's new!! And if you actually allow yourself to see the bigger picture, you'd understand it's largely because we are no longer beholden to banks and other creditors with crippling debt.

That's a change, see?

Now, if we sell Lukaku for say £90m...Then that's a £60m windfall to the club. It's called profit. And it's how businesses run and thrive. They use profit before putting up more capital - quite simple really. But presumably you'll still be in the 'where's the Lukaku money Bill?' brigade anyway...

Oh, we've already spent it... :Blink:

Just how much money do you think we should spend this Summer? £300m?? Half a bill?? I personally think we should let the management team decide that. And let them operate their development plan and integrate the sizeable number of new players over a couple of windows. Wouldn't that seem the sensible thing to do....?

The sad thing is that even if we do end up with a net spend of close to zero (i personally doubt it but we'll see), you and your fellow Flat Earthers will still be able to claim that spending was capped, without knowing at all what the real situation is, and even though we have already spent the £90m you claim is the Lukaku funding, and evidently more to come.

But if you seriously still can't see that things haven't changed then I'll leave you be in your bunker.

And if we happen to keep Luk, presumably you'll finally stop your negative whining?

Won't be holding my breath....

... Everton have spent about £90 million in a matter of weeks, Walsh is working his magic and contract Dave is appearing all over the show. Happy days.

But let's a have a look at the bigger picture. This isn't just big in terms of spending. Pickford, Keane, Klaassen and Sandro. A keeper, a centre half, centre mid and forward... the spine of a team all aged 24 and under. This is potentially huge in terms of our teams future.

We're not splashing the cash on flavour of the month players who we'll get one good season out of before they get bored and bugger off (Payet anyone?), we've put in place the spine of a team which we could potentially build around for 10 years, lots of thought and forward planning has gone into this.

I'm not going to sit here and convince myself or you guys that we've signed 4 world class players, I don't know much about Sandro or Klaassen and I've only seen bits and pieces of the others on the tv, but this could be the foundation to really push on to the next big step.

Exciting times here blues, as a 26 year old this is the first time I've ever experienced Everton doing the dirty in a transfer window like this.

Up the mighty Ev!
I agree.
*runs off to put a tenner on Stoke

I fundamentally disagree. We have spent a shed load more than we've ever spent before. There's no 'where's the Arteta/Rodwell/Fellaini/Rooney/whoever money...?' going on here - wow, that's new!! And if you actually allow yourself to see the bigger picture, you'd understand it's largely because we are no longer beholden to banks and other creditors with crippling debt.

That's a change, see?

Now, if we sell Lukaku for say £90m...Then that's a £60m windfall to the club. It's called profit. And it's how businesses run and thrive. They use profit before putting up more capital - quite simple really. But presumably you'll still be in the 'where's the Lukaku money Bill?' brigade anyway...

Oh, we've already spent it... :Blink:

Just how much money do you think we should spend this Summer? £300m?? Half a bill?? I personally think we should let the management team decide that. And let them operate their development plan and integrate the sizeable number of new players over a couple of windows. Wouldn't that seem the sensible thing to do....?

The sad thing is that even if we do end up with a net spend of close to zero (i personally doubt it but we'll see), you and your fellow Flat Earthers will still be able to claim that spending was capped, without knowing at all what the real situation is, and even though we have already spent the £90m you claim is the Lukaku funding, and evidently more to come.

But if you seriously still can't see that things haven't changed then I'll leave you be in your bunker.

And if we happen to keep Luk, presumably you'll finally stop your negative whining?

Won't be holding my breath....

Your post makes no sense. You can only spend whatever income is brought into the club (FFP)

Of course the amounts spent will be more this year. Transfer fees are up, Sky deal.. etc etc

It is rare we ever have a positive net spend, and when we do it is minimal. If that changes this season lets see, but we don't know as yet.

Your very upset with life aren't you

If we signed no one, waited for the Lukaku deal to go through, then panic spent half of the £90m (the other half disappearing into a black hole of satisfying overdue debts) - that would be old style Everton.

What we have here is a positive attitude to getting the players we want in early, building a new team, investing the money in young talent.

If you're just someone who wants to see us splash £100m net on superstars, go and support Man City.

It is for those who have ears that listen and eyes to see.
Yes we could / may (etc) well be spending on player sales, but there is also the chance that;
a) nobody comes in at all for the ones you hint at.
b) If they do come in they mightn't come in high enough
c) Thus they might not be sold

A couple of years ago we wouldn't have the where withall to take the chance on splashing the cash
THAT'S the statement you can't see right under your nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.