Let's Not Get Too Carried Away Lads...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cena i don't think anyone (reasonable) is saying 4th is nailed on.

If we were liverpool supporters we would be saying that based on our form we should challenge for winning the league (like gerrard just did)

I think myself and a lot on here are saying that we should be targeting 4th place. given that the top half of the table has opened up pretty wide, we can expect spurs and arsenal to drop off given their big sales and their failure to replace them, newcastle IMO don't have the squad to compete on 4 fronts, a 4th place finish is certainly a reasonable goal.

No, we're not going to go undefeated this season and I don't think anyone is suggesting we will. I'd be happy with a draw this weekend to be honest, but I'm still hoping for a win. Our form at the end of last season was spectacular, and I think we've looked even better to start this season, confidence in the lockerroom seems incredibly high, and i think the sale of rodwell has given the players a mental boost a bit like when rooney was sold and they had everything to prove.

So no, I don't think targeting 4th is unreasonable at all, there's a chance we'll fall short but thats football.

Cena i don't think anyone (reasonable) is saying 4th is nailed on.

If we were liverpool supporters we would be saying that based on our form we should challenge for winning the league (like gerrard just did)

I think myself and a lot on here are saying that we should be targeting 4th place. given that the top half of the table has opened up pretty wide, we can expect spurs and arsenal to drop off given their big sales and their failure to replace them, newcastle IMO don't have the squad to compete on 4 fronts, a 4th place finish is certainly a reasonable goal.

No, we're not going to go undefeated this season and I don't think anyone is suggesting we will. I'd be happy with a draw this weekend to be honest, but I'm still hoping for a win. Our form at the end of last season was spectacular, and I think we've looked even better to start this season, confidence in the lockerroom seems incredibly high, and i think the sale of rodwell has given the players a mental boost a bit like when rooney was sold and they had everything to prove.

So no, I don't think targeting 4th is unreasonable at all, there's a chance we'll fall short but thats football.

This is spot on and much better worded than I ever could ever have done.

Yeh defo, target 4th, but realistically top 6/7, like it

This is all brilliant but I agree with the OP. We've only played 2 league games- there's 9 months ahead of us. I remember spurs seemed unstoppable last season but eventually ran out of steam (ok I know the England manager thing probably contributed too). It happens so often. Depressingly I think it means that if you haven't got the big cash, it's hard to produce that level of play over a whole, long prem season. I really hope we can keep this going though of course.

We have a first team + four/five in the squad that can be relied on to go out and beat senseless any team outside the top 5 if they're allowed to play an attacking game. My big worry (on top of injuries/suspensions) is that we dont have the mental strength to keep our nerve and play football when expectation levels increase. I'll always believe that this comes from the manager who transmits his hesitancy in big games to the team. You cant fault him for building such a team in testing circumstances, but hand on heart I dont think he's the feller to get the best out of them.

Derbies, cup games, crunch games in the league.

But the excuse will be financial and not tactical.

He overcomes that inferiority complex, who knows what could happen

The Manchester United game. SKY did us a huge favour by actually moving that game from a Sunday afternoon to under the flood lights. I for one, think it was done on purpose. SKY knows how the Old Lady shakes and the atmosphere is electric. You have to admit, as the game progressed, the spectre of it being our first game of the season evaporated and it rapidly felt like a 'must win - do or die' affair. You could easily fool yourself and I think the players did, that this was a season opener. It felt like a Cup Game ! And this worked in our favour, big time. Their team sheet, much like recent Liverpool ones, wasn't met with fear or trepidation. We could do these !! We played with no fear and with 39,000 of us baying them on. It felt more like the Coliseum than Goodison Park - We came, we saw we Conqured.

Villa are woeful and will struggle, we caught them at the right time. Nervous, un organised and without passion. The three points were ours to throw away.

Leyton Orient. For all their bluster and Soccer Am bravado, folded like a house of cards and the game quickly deteriorated into a pre-season testimonial. We saw players shine, but even I could of scored that night. Miralles looked the business, but then again so did Big Vic at times. You have to put things into perspective. We were playing Leyton Orient.

West Brom at the Hawthornes , conquerors of Perennial Paper Tigers, Liverpool. Will be a much sterner test for our boys. If we lose, we lose..we'll dust ourselves down and prepare for the bar codes arrival, with the added luxury of an International Break inbetween. if we win, Our feet will be firmly planted on the ground. The media will look up from their statistic books and give us a Rock style People's Eyebrow and then quickly return to waxing lyrical over Manchester City. But we will have made an impact..But we are Everton. We won't puff our chests and make wild and outlandish claims and predictions. We know better than to promise false dawns. We'll simply, plod along at our pace and take everyday..one day at a time :)

The Manchester United game. SKY did us a huge favour by actually moving that game from a Sunday afternoon to under the flood lights. I for one, think it was done on purpose. SKY knows how the Old Lady shakes and the atmosphere is electric. You have to admit, as the game progressed, the spectre of it being our first game of the season evaporated and it rapidly felt like a 'must win - do or die' affair. You could easily fool yourself and I think the players did, that this was a season opener. It felt like a Cup Game ! And this worked in our favour, big time. Their team sheet, much like recent Liverpool ones, wasn't met with fear or trepidation. We could do these !! We played with no fear and with 39,000 of us baying them on. It felt more like the Coliseum than Goodison Park - We came, we saw we Conqured.

Villa are woeful and will struggle, we caught them at the right time. Nervous, un organised and without passion. The three points were ours to throw away.

Leyton Orient. For all their bluster and Soccer Am bravado, folded like a house of cards and the game quickly deteriorated into a pre-season testimonial. We saw players shine, but even I could of scored that night. Miralles looked the business, but then again so did Big Vic at times. You have to put things into perspective. We were playing Leyton Orient.

West Brom at the Hawthornes , conquerors of Perennial Paper Tigers, Liverpool. Will be a much sterner test for our boys. If we lose, we lose..we'll dust ourselves down and prepare for the bar codes arrival, with the added luxury of an International Break inbetween. if we win, Our feet will be firmly planted on the ground. The media will look up from their statistic books and give us a Rock style People's Eyebrow and then quickly return to waxing lyrical over Manchester City. But we will have made an impact..But we are Everton. We won't puff our chests and make wild and outlandish claims and predictions. We know better than to promise false dawns. We'll simply, plod along at our pace and take everyday..one day at a time :)

Again, this put it far better than my OP could ever do.

Excellent post.

We can finish forth and I personally believe the club should be ambitious and try their hardest to get champions league footy.

Should we expect it ? No but we should definitely aim for it

Can't disagree more with the OP. Our defence is fantastic, our midfield is beautifully balanced and we have one of the most clinical finishers in the game up front. This is going to be our most exciting season in years and years. Get carried the **** away.

Can't disagree more with the OP. Our defence is fantastic, our midfield is beautifully balanced and we have one of the most clinical finishers in the game up front. This is going to be our most exciting season in years and years. Get carried the **** away.

Bookmarked for May

For me the Man Utd game doesn't really signal a change from the manager. He's always been willing to have a go at GP, he knows how we'd react if he never. It's what we do away to another big side that will give us an idea of whats doable in cups etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.