Lesscrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Player Valuation: £35m
As the season is nearly at the death and man city will finish above us, I think Moyes was right to put up such a huge fight to keep Lesscrot. He saw man city as a threat to take a place above us in the league and Moyes wanted to stop that as much as he could.

Lescott has the same problem as Yobo I think, hes prone to make errors. They went for the wrong defender ;)

As the season is nearly at the death and man city will finish above us, I think Moyes was right to put up such a huge fight to keep Lesscrot. He saw man city as a threat to take a place above us in the league and Moyes wanted to stop that as much as he could.

Yeh but without him, we took 6 points off them

We don't miss him that much, although he would play ahead if yobo and distin.

We are all about next season.

We could probably buy him back for 11 million.

Lets be honest the defence has been awfull all season taking on board the fact that the whole team could be more solid, Lescott was quality for us end of and we miss him.

But city offered us 24 million and doubled his wages.

Both player and EFC got the better end of the deal.

1 JOHNNY HEITINGA = 24 million LESSCROTS.

But city offered us 24 million and doubled his wages.

Both player and EFC got the better end of the deal.

We cant have that mentality mate, if we do its open season for Arteta etc to be poached, thankfully Micky gets it i think!

As much as i like Jonny he has a way to go defnively to prove hes as good as Lescott for me, im not demanding Jonny be as good as Lescott for us in his first seaon at the back, just saying we have missed Lescott and as a unit our defence has what i hope is a massive adhustment toward being better this season.

Regardless of context of his moe he is quality defender - what we got paid was a fair price - not over the odds IMO - i would still prefer to have him if im honest.

Last edited:

We have missed him but that's because he's a quality defender and we have been unable to pair Jagielka and Heitinga together. Once that happens, he shouldn't be missed.

Whether we missed him or not, the money we got for him was one of the best pieces of business we have done, right up there with Jeffers and the like.

The problems with the defence this season has been not having a settled back 4 for much, if any of it. Jags, Lescott and Baines were pretty much ever-present last season until Jags' injury and the last spot was always Hibbo or Pip. It's barely been the same for more than a couple of matches on the bounce this season, for various reasons.

Think the Heit and Jags partnership is a wait and see to be honest - ill be honest and say Johnny hasnt convinced me at the back this season - again i take on the constant changeing personel and adjusting to a new league etc, i love his no nonence and the fact he can put the ball on a sixpence, yet he has been prone to individual errors or getting sucked in by the man rather then the ball and his positioning can do with work. That said i agree its to early to say with all the mitigation just thinking out loud really. I actually think his better performences have beenin midfeild.

But certainly not Lescott class yet and as such we havnt replaced him in my eyes and his loss is their for all to see. we can forget very easily because of his snidey behaviour what a quality player he was and what he did for the team.

Last edited:
He chipped in with his share of goals, too, which I haven't seen from the back this season.

Lescott was a quality player, no doubt about it but we also went though spells with him the side where we couldn't defend for toffee. The only time when he ever looked the part was alongside Jags in there last spell together, before that he was always more effective at left back. And he was very impressive at left back, to be fair to him, a little unorthodox but effective in both areas of the pitch.

Heitinga have been very consistent in both central positions, he's shown he could comfortably do a job in either position. You can count the amount of mistakes he's made on one hand, and every defender in world football will make the odd mistake here and there, even the best. Yes we've conceded too many goals but very few have come from Heitinga and you defend as a team, it isn't just about your centre backs.

As for a potential Jagielka-Heitinga partnership, there lack of height may be a problem, we'll have to wait and see on that one but the main attributes for defending is concentration, consistency and positional sense and both players have that in abundance. Add Jagielka's athleticism and Heitinga's intelligence and distribution and they've both got alot going for them. And our none of our bigger defenders are exactly dominant in the air, Yobo, Lescott and Distin certainly aren't.

Heitinga in midfield is another option, he has the defensive qualities and quality of distribution to make it happen but I really don't want to see a midfield of Heitinga, Arteta and Fellaini. One of them will have to do a job further forward and whilst Arteta and Fellaini can they are at there best in the middle of the park. Heitinga/Fellaini, Arteta and one of Cahill/Pienaar/Bilyaletdinov would be much more balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.