Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daily Mirror twitter is run by a right smart arse.

Greg O'Keeffe tweeted the news, prompting someone to reply, 'what's the Mirror going to write about now, they're obsessed with the Baines to United story'. The Mirror responded: 'We're sure other clubs have learned their lesson and won't think about signing Everton players.' and posted a photo of Ross Barkley.

What a bunch of bad blerts.:mad:

Amazing banter to be fair.

I'm hoping this baines deal means he's been assured of the ambition of the club. To me at this current time he should be looking for cast iron assurances that there will be funds to help match his ambitions. Obviously United aren't in the position to do so right now but neither are we (and if we don't sign another striker they'll be higher than us come the final day) so arsenal, could (should) come in for him.

I hope he knows something we don't, because I've always questioned his ambition for wanting to stay here and not leave to challenge for titles and play champions league which we know he can do

Baines will be an actual Everton legend, we had plenty of pretty average footballer's were the term legend gets casually thrown at them because no other club would dream of buying that tosh, Baines is a world class footballer, who could easily force a move but hasn't, be a terrible shame if we don't win anything while he's about, he deserves to be in that company

Amazing banter to be fair.

I'm hoping this baines deal means he's been assured of the ambition of the club. To me at this current time he should be looking for cast iron assurances that there will be funds to help match his ambitions. Obviously United aren't in the position to do so right now but neither are we (and if we don't sign another striker they'll be higher than us come the final day) so arsenal, could (should) come in for him.

I hope he knows something we don't, because I've always questioned his ambition for wanting to stay here and not leave to challenge for titles and play champions league which we know he can do

It came across as 'We weren't right about Baines, but now we're going to tell lies about Barkley now instead'.

They've banged on about 'Baines to United' for the past 3 years.

Last edited:

we had plenty of pretty average footballer's were the term legend gets casually thrown at them because no other club would dream of buying that tosh

Like who?

The only widely-accepted Everton legends of the Prem-era are:

- Neville Southall (also because of pre-Prem era)
- Dave Watson (ditto)
- Dunc
- Tim Cahill (still borderline, but in time he'll be more readily-accepted)

Have I missed anyone?

Like who?

The only widely-accepted Everton legends of the Prem-era are:

- Neville Southall (also because of pre-Prem era)
- Dave Watson (ditto)
- Dunc
- Tim Cahill (still borderline, but in time he'll be more readily-accepted)

Have I missed anyone?

I've heard it said of plenty more, hibbert for example, even Kilbane, all good lads I'm sure but Baines belongs in the elite category, I'm constantly made up everytime I see him in blue

Is it fair to say there is a difference between a hero and a legend? For me, Duncan was a hero to many (not myself) but not a legend in my opinion. I don't see someone who was a liability to be sent off at any time as a legend, but he was someone the fans could idealise and connect to due to his clear passion and fight for the cause. Cahill probaly falls into the same category, but then you could argue that Cahill was one of the driving factors as to many of us being able to enjoy nights like Kharkiv and Nuremburg. After all, he was here 8 years? Would that make him a legend for the club? The lad still constantly goes on about Everton on twitter too.

Legend gets banded about too often these days, a player should be a legend based on the combination of ability and what they personally achieved/did for the club. I can understand Ferguson and Cahill being touted as one, but Baines? I'm not so sure. As good as the lad is, unfortunately we haven't progressed that much whilst he's been here? Not his fault like, but the point is Cahill joined at a time that we were 17th, his debut season he drove us to 4th, and went on to help us become a regular top 7/european team.

Daily Mirror twitter is run by a right smart arse.

Greg O'Keeffe tweeted the news, prompting someone to reply, 'what's the Mirror going to write about now, they're obsessed with the Baines to United story'. The Mirror responded: 'We're sure other clubs have learned their lesson and won't think about signing Everton players.' and posted a photo of Ross Barkley.

What a bunch of bad blerts.:mad:

Funny thing about that is that a Barkley contract announcement will be pretty much around the same time as a Baines contract announcement:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.