2019/20 Leighton Baines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said repeatedly: I judge LBs by being LBs. He was a winger adapted to become a FB (nominally so).

He had his best time here when Pienaar did his dirty work for him.
LB's these days in the modern game are expected to provide more going forward than they do defensively, and Baines did that, was he poor defensively, absolutely not, but going forward he was about as good as it got over several seasons in his pomp, which is why the stats showed he was the best in Europe for 3 or 4 seasons.

LB's these days in the modern game are expected to provide more going forward than they do defensively, and Baines did that, was he poor defensively, absolutely not, but going forward he was about as good as it got over several seasons in his pomp, which is why the stats showed he was the best in Europe for 3 or 4 seasons.
...and he's not now. He cant go past a defender and wont even overlap to draw defenders to him.

...and he's not now. He cant go past a defender and wont even overlap to draw defenders to him.
He's been absolutely superb his last two games, the votes in the polls on here will tell you that Dave.

One of the best LB's we've ever had, and don't just take mine and 90% of Evertonians word for it, you have Carlo openly asking him to sign a contract extension asap.

Carlo has seen what we all see bar you...

He's been absolutely superb his last two games, the votes in the polls on here will tell you that Dave.

One of the best LB's we've ever had, and don't just take mine and 90% of Evertonians word for it, you have Carlo openly asking him to sign a contract extension asap.

Carlo has seen what we all see bar you...
The season is 38 games long plus cup ties. How do you think Baines would be playing right now if he had more than a handful of games in his legs?

We saw before we signed Digne what that situation looks like, that's why we signed Digne.

The thought of having Digne unfit for for more than a game or two at a time is horrendous.

It's why we need a new LB at the club to understudy Digne.

The season is 38 games long plus cup ties. How do you think Baines would be playing right now if he had more than a handful of games in his legs?

We saw before we signed Digne what that situation looks like, that's why we signed Digne.

The thought of having Digne unfit for for more than a game or two at a time is horrendous.

Delph (shudder) should be capable of playing there and i presume this was considered when he was purchased.

If a youngster with potential who Carlo and Brands like then sure, get an understudy. Otherwise it's not an immediate priority compared to other positions.

It’s a fair point this. Playing 12-15 games in a row is a bit different to playing 2-3, and if he’s 2nd choice then there’s a reasonable chance we’re going to need him to do that. Also 15 months is a hell of a long time in football terms. He’s definitely still got it now, but that doesn’t mean he will next may.

£25M-£26M he's been paid at Everton so far, in my estimation.

The wages we spend out on players to receive absolutely f.a. in return is shocking.
Omg can you just take a chill pill once in a while....... quite possibly the most consistent player we’ve had in the last 15 years jags and Cahill notwithstanding .....it’s not up to him what the club agrees to pay him...hes performed well this season when called upon... and I’m sure he’d like a winners medal to show his kids when he’s in his 50’s in any competition but unfortunately he’s given us his best years won nowt and never chatted in the press

Status
Not open for further replies.