2019/20 Leighton Baines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes agreed but Pepe wasn't by the byline and we often see him look to cross and then dummy onto his right and burst into the box.

I'm not saying it's good defending but it's understandable given Leighton is 55 years old and Pepe is much younger and quicker.
Every single cross we've ever faced out on our left when Baines has played he's stood 5 yards off, and when the cross is struck he's always on the turn side-on or turning his back to it. Always.

It's cost us scores of goals in his time here. An appalling defender, IMO. He was great getting forward as one of two wide men when Pienaar was here, but his fall from grace can be dated to the break up of that partnership. Basically, Pienaar sacrificed his time here to provide a base for Baines to play from.

Baines played like a cowardly, yellow bellied, spineless turd today. His passes didn't even go sideways, they all went backwards, which put unnecessary pressure on our central defenders. Not ONCE did he make a purposeful, forward or decisive pass today. Hiding by passing the buck to others to deal with the ball. The, 'I didn't give the ball away so no-one can blame me', attitude. Always chose the easy option 5yard backward pass. Well, my gran can do that. I'm sorry, but this spineless, cowardly attitude doesn't cut it at the top level anymore. He was a passenger today, and in fact he was worse; we played with ten men today. a non-entity. A sad excuse for a footballer. Shouldn't be allowed near an Everton shirt again. A disgraceful display of football from him.

Imagine getting so much wrong in a single post. Breathtaking stuff.

Baines played like a cowardly, yellow bellied, spineless turd today. His passes didn't even go sideways, they all went backwards, which put unnecessary pressure on our central defenders. Not ONCE did he make a purposeful, forward or decisive pass today. Hiding by passing the buck to others to deal with the ball. The, 'I didn't give the ball away so no-one can blame me', attitude. Always chose the easy option 5yard backward pass. Well, my gran can do that. I'm sorry, but this spineless, cowardly attitude doesn't cut it at the top level anymore. He was a passenger today, and in fact he was worse; we played with ten men today. a non-entity. A sad excuse for a footballer. Shouldn't be allowed near an Everton shirt again. A disgraceful display of football from him.

The only person to 'like' this post...

Liking posts by your multi is generally a silly thing to do.

Every single cross we've ever faced out on our left when Baines has played he's stood 5 yards off, and when the cross is struck he's always on the turn side-on or turning his back to it. Always.

It's cost us scores of goals in his time here. An appalling defender, IMO. He was great getting forward as one of two wide men when Pienaar was here, but his fall from grace can be dated to the break up of that partnership. Basically, Pienaar sacrificed his time here to provide a base for Baines to play from.
Each to their own David. I think that's mightily harsh personally.

Just pop over to the Sidibe thread to get your take on his display. You ok fella? Who you picking next week when Baines is back on the bench?

Each to their own David. I think that's mightily harsh personally.
I'll never forgive him defensively that night in the LC SF against City 2nd leg; we're strolling with a 2 goal cushion and Baines fails to get close to Fernandinho, turns his back on his shot and deflects it over the head of Robles. We never looked like winning the tie from that point on.

I'll never forgive him defensively that night in the LC SF against City 2nd leg; we're strolling with a 2 goal cushion and Baines fails to get close to Fernandinho, turns his back on his shot and deflects it over the head of Robles. We never looked like winning the tie from that point on.
I'm pretty sure Fernandinho's shot struck Osman and looped over Joel, it was down the centre of the pitch not out wide. We got beat in that game to poor defending in the 2nd half, Stones not standing up to Aguero and letting himself get bullied on the crosses. Plus the fact their 2nd goal was a yard over the touchline in the build-up. Geri also wasted a perfect chance early in the 2nd to make it 2-1, he was then hauled off for the useless Kone.

I'm pretty sure Fernandinho's shot struck Osman and looped over Joel, it was down the centre of the pitch not out wide. We got beat in that game to poor defending in the 2nd half, Stones not standing up to Aguero and letting himself get bullied on the crosses. Plus the fact their 2nd goal was a yard over the touchline in the build-up. Geri also wasted a perfect chance early in the 2nd to make it 2-1, he was then hauled off for the useless Kone.
Nope. It was Baines. 3 minutes in here:

Baines stands still and never makes a move towards Fernandinho, then turns his back on the shot and it deflects up off him and over Robles.

Hang on, which managerial genius made that decision?

You must be a really sad and lonely individual if you actually feel like that

Agree needs to be moved on but apart from Digne who should we look to for LB, any of our younger players any good?

Baines was not great last night but he is pretty well past his best. He seems unable to skim down the wing anymore and create a threat. The loss of Coleman and Baines due to age/the effects of serious injury has hit us badly. Neither of the replacements Digne or Sidibe can be compared to Coleman and Baines in their heyday. Another big headache for Carlo unless he can find a way to get better performances of the latest pair. Our squad is truly a mess which will take 2 seasons to put right.

Status
Not open for further replies.