2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
....the likes of Sheffield United and Leeds could come up, hardly in another time zone.
I agree, but I doubt either of them would pay £80K per week and a seven figure signing on fee for a lad in his mid thirties either. I think I fall somewhere between yourself and @bol-uk, I think he will take a pay cut (particularly if it is with half a glance at a coaching gig) but I don't think it will be a £60K a week pay cut. What that does mean is we will be committing something in the region of £2 - 2.5M in wages to the lad and that is not an insubstantial sum. It may, however, be cheaper than taking a punt on someone from another league, with the transfer and signing on fees plus wages that that would entail, ostensibly for a reserve left back, which I doubt is a priority position in the next window. I think it probably also suggests that there is no one in the u23s that Silva trusts to fill in if required.

When Distin went to Bournemouth they were paying him £30k a week so it would be in keeping with that type of deal for a newly promoted club. Sure I saw that Ashley Cole's on £15k a week at Derby and he's been finished for about 6 years.

Yeah thats the number i think were paying £30k a week.

....the likes of Sheffield United and Leeds could come up, hardly in another time zone.

But would they want him at his age and salary...

I agree, but I doubt either of them would pay £80K per week and a seven figure signing on fee for a lad in his mid thirties either. I think I fall somewhere between yourself and @bol-uk, I think he will take a pay cut (particularly if it is with half a glance at a coaching gig) but I don't think it will be a £60K a week pay cut. What that does mean is we will be committing something in the region of £2 - 2.5M in wages to the lad and that is not an insubstantial sum. It may, however, be cheaper than taking a punt on someone from another league, with the transfer and signing on fees plus wages that that would entail, ostensibly for a reserve left back, which I doubt is a priority position in the next window. I think it probably also suggests that there is no one in the u23s that Silva trusts to fill in if required.

I think if Baines has taken a sufficient drop we could say that his reduced wage may cover a prospects wages once they break through

I think if Baines has taken a sufficient drop we could say that his reduced wage may cover a prospects wages once they break through
Maybe, but I'm not sure who we have in that position to break through. If Robinson was going to make the step up I think he would've done it by now and we all know that Garbutt is a busted flush.

Yeah thats the number i think were paying £30k a week.

But would they want him at his age and salary...

....Baines will be in demand for a club who want a quality LB but also want vast Premier League experience and professionalism. Remember we paid money for Ashley Williams because our manager/DoF wanted leadership in the dressing room.

Whats the choice tho dave? Robinson can only get games for the USMNTNTSUS, nobody else will pick him.

So its Baines or League Two Garbutt.
There's no point in between, of course. Just a choice between a football relic and a callow youth. No deals to be struck for players in the lower leagues. They dont exist. Nor any player that Silva or Brands know about from ther extensive contacts.

So we stay with Baines.

Incredible.

We deserve absolutely f.a. as fans when there's a constant acceptance of BS from the club over retaining tat to cut costs.

Last edited:

There's no point in between, of course. Just a choice between a football relic and a callow youth. No deals to be struck for players in the lower leagues. They dont exist. Nor any player that Silva or Brands know about from ther extensive contacts.

So we stay with Baines.

Incredible.

We deserve absolutloey f.a. as fans when there's a constant acceptance of BS from the club over retaining tat to cut costs.

IF you really want to waste money on a back up LB, rather than put that money towards a FIRST TEAM Striker then thats up to you Dave.

Thankfully Brands isnt a stupid, like you.

To address Baines (as thats currently the contract pushed by the media) id like to pose a question...

What if we are pushing for a left back prospect i.e Robinson / Gibson to be second choice but feel they will need to be gradually integrated in/out of the matchday squad?

If we start off with Baines at season start but phase a youth prospect in over the season then it would make a lot of sense in comparison to signing a player who may block their integtation...
Then why offer a contract to Baines for a season when he's on an enormous sum and no agent will accept any substantial reduction?

Wouldn't you rather a younger player gets that start from the bench initially rather than Baines?I mean, how ae we going to encourage our better younger players to stick with us and attract others to the club when they see two players of the age of Baines and Jagielka getting on the bench?

IF you really want to waste money on a back up LB, rather than put that money towards a FIRST TEAM Striker then thats up to you Dave.

Thankfully Brands isnt a stupid, like you.
Yeah, because it's a matter of one or the other rather than getting both?

Thank goodness we have a "proper" billionaire owning the club, eh?

Cup game. Singular. But dont let the facts get in the way...

Digne played at Millwall. Probably his only real howler of the season.
Yeah, great. Lewt's hand the fossil a new contract then. He's been involved in five hundred of minutes of football.

Brilliant reasoning.

Yeah, great. Lewt's hand the fossil a new contract then. He's been involved in five hundred of minutes of football.

Brilliant reasoning.

I'm just giving the facts here. Don't shoot the messenger.

I'm not fussed either way if he stays or goes. He's not 37 like jags. That would be a wrong decision. This one with baines I can see both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.