2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
....i’d be staggered if either sign a contract for that amount.

There’ll be plenty of offers for Baines, he won’t have to move to Timbuktu. We are talking of him losing £m. Let’s not forget, his agents cut as well. Sign for a club on a Bosman and he’d pocket at least £1m, plus a 2 year deal on £60k per week.

It’s big business for these fellas, especially the final pay day.
Unless he is happy to go to China or the MLS he is going to be taking a big cut in wages.
I would not be surprised either if this could be an initial step for him to move into coaching at Everton.

To address Baines (as thats currently the contract pushed by the media) id like to pose a question...

What if we are pushing for a left back prospect i.e Robinson / Gibson to be second choice but feel they will need to be gradually integrated in/out of the matchday squad?

If we start off with Baines at season start but phase a youth prospect in over the season then it would make a lot of sense in comparison to signing a player who may block their integtation...
I don't know enough about the young players to be perfectly honest, but my understanding is that Gibson is very much a centre half who can play left back rather than the other way round, so I wouldn't have thought he'd be ideal cover for an attacking full back like Digne. Hard to see why Robinson would need to be phased in like that, he'll be 22 when the season starts, with 50 odd Championship games and a handful of international caps under his belt, so it's not like he's a fresh faced kid. Can't see why he would be ready in December if he's not ready in August.

I don't know enough about the young players to be perfectly honest, but my understanding is that Gibson is very much a centre half who can play left back rather than the other way round, so I wouldn't have thought he'd be ideal cover for an attacking full back like Digne. Hard to see why Robinson would need to be phased in like that, he'll be 22 when the season starts, with 50 odd Championship games and a handful of international caps under his belt, so it's not like he's a fresh faced kid. Can't see why he would be ready in December if he's not ready in August.

I think the fact that we are even considering it means they dont think Robinson or Gibson are gonna be ready.

As you say I think Gibson is meant to be more CB than LB, but young CBs generally get a few games at fullback when first breaking through, see Lescott, Stones, Holgate to name a few. I know Lescott wasnt really young, but my point stands!

It makes perfect sense to me.

Unless he is happy to go to China or the MLS he is going to be taking a big cut in wages.
I would not be surprised either if this could be an initial step for him to move into coaching at Everton.

....but he’d be moving on a Bosman. No transfer fee means he would surely pocket in excess of £1m, plus a 2 year contract. Even if the salary was lower, he’d earn a lot more over 2 years elsewhere than he would over 1 season with us.

The key to this deal is that Silva wants him around as a player. He won’t be taking a cut in wages.

I've been a massive Baines fan as long as he's been here and don't mind him getting a few games here and there but if Digne goes down injured for an extended length of time the prospect of Baines playing a lot of games doesn't thrill me. But that's just worse case scenario stuff.

Also hard to buy in any real quality to sit on the bench behind Digne i guess. Bit torn on this one.

I've been a massive Baines fan as long as he's been here and don't mind him getting a few games here and there but if Digne goes down injured for an extended length of time the prospect of Baines playing a lot of games doesn't thrill me. But that's just worse case scenario stuff.

Also hard to buy in any real quality to sit on the bench behind Digne i guess. Bit torn on this one.

Defo, if Digne gets goosed, Baines has had his fair share of injuries himself over the years, then your hoping 1 of the yoots can come in, the alternative is to spend 20m odd on a player that in an ideal world plays ZERO to 4 times next season. I mean how do you even attract a quality player when they will know they aint getting games ahead of the best LB thats ever played the game.

Or you just give a player, who knows the club, somebody whos happy to sit on the bench, for the greater good of the team, wont be greedy with his wage demands and is ready and able to give 100% when called upon.

Leighton Baines - No transfer fee - 3m in wages - Happy to sit on the bench and drink the tea at FF
A.N.OtherLB - 20m transfer fee - 2 agents fee - 5m in wages - Starts fights at training cos he doesnt play

I think the fact that we are even considering it means they dont think Robinson or Gibson are gonna be ready.

As you say I think Gibson is meant to be more CB than LB, but young CBs generally get a few games at fullback when first breaking through, see Lescott, Stones, Holgate to name a few. I know Lescott wasnt really young, but my point stands!

It makes perfect sense to me.

Succinctly put by goat...i agree.

....but he’d be moving on a Bosman. No transfer fee means he would surely pocket in excess of £1m, plus a 2 year contract. Even if the salary was lower, he’d earn a lot more over 2 years elsewhere than he would over 1 season with us.

The key to this deal is that Silva wants him around as a player. He won’t be taking a cut in wages.

Im wondering which club would offer 34 / 35 year old Baines a 2 year contract at terms over £40k a week with a £1mil signing bonus?

Really cant see it...and also Baines is very much a homebody.

I suspect he will have signed for under £40k a week and possibly a fair bit less.

Defo, if Digne gets goosed, Baines has had his fair share of injuries himself over the years, then your hoping 1 of the yoots can come in, the alternative is to spend 20m odd on a player that in an ideal world plays ZERO to 4 times next season. I mean how do you even attract a quality player when they will know they aint getting games ahead of the best LB thats ever played the game.

Or you just give a player, who knows the club, somebody whos happy to sit on the bench, for the greater good of the team, wont be greedy with his wage demands and is ready and able to give 100% when called upon.

Leighton Baines - No transfer fee - 3m in wages - Happy to sit on the bench and drink the tea at FF
A.N.OtherLB - 20m transfer fee - 2 agents fee - 5m in wages - Starts fights at training cos he doesnt play
You've sold me the idea Goat. Baines IN

I guess it depends on how much truth there is in the chat about him being a bit of a homebody. In the past he could have joined a host of bottom half teams based in the NW and stayed in the same gaff, but the Boltons, Wigans, Blackburns etc.. have all dropped like stones. Burnley are an option, I suppose, but if they're not interested then he'd have to up sticks. If he was going to do that is there really that much of a difference between moving to Norwich or moving to the MLS? When you're a millionaire dropping a couple of grand on a business class flight from NYC isn't a big deal and it will probably not get you back to Crosby all that much more slowly than a Porsche Panamera does from Norwich and Red Bulls probably pay better in any case and have a shorter season.

I think the wage drop some people are proposing is not realistic but there will be a drop reflecting his changed status in the playing squad. I also agree with @BlueToff that this may be a transition contract to join the coaching staff (@davek will be thrilled if that comes to pass, I would imagine).

Succinctly put by goat...i agree.

Im wondering which club would offer 34 / 35 year old Baines a 2 year contract at terms over £40k a week with a £1mil signing bonus?

Really cant see it...and also Baines is very much a homebody.

I suspect he will have signed for under £40k a week and possibly a fair bit less.
When Distin went to Bournemouth they were paying him £30k a week so it would be in keeping with that type of deal for a newly promoted club. Sure I saw that Ashley Cole's on £15k a week at Derby and he's been finished for about 6 years.

The last time I saw Baines play it was at home v Wolves and he looked Goosed.

Can’t remember if he played with an injury or not but certainly looked like he did.

I guess it depends on how much truth there is in the chat about him being a bit of a homebody. In the past he could have joined a host of bottom half teams based in the NW and stayed in the same gaff, but the Boltons, Wigans, Blackburns etc.. have all dropped like stones. Burnley are an option, I suppose, but if they're not interested then he'd have to up sticks. If he was going to do that is there really that much of a difference between moving to Norwich or moving to the MLS? When you're a millionaire dropping a couple of grand on a business class flight from NYC isn't a big deal and it will probably not get you back to Crosby all that much more slowly than a Porsche Panamera does from Norwich and Red Bulls probably pay better in any case and have a shorter season.

I think the wage drop some people are proposing is not realistic but there will be a drop reflecting his changed status in the playing squad. I also agree with @BlueToff that this may be a transition contract to join the coaching staff (@davek will be thrilled if that comes to pass, I would imagine).

....the likes of Sheffield United and Leeds could come up, hardly in another time zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.