2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just giving the facts here. Don't shoot the messenger.

I'm not fussed either way if he stays or goes. He's not 37 like jags. That would be a wrong decision. This one with baines I can see both sides.
The facts on minutes played dont support the view he should be kept on.

6 in the Prem, the loss to Southampton in the Carabao Cup and the 2-1 win over Lincoln in the FA Cup
Game time in 3 wins, 3draws and 2 losses.
Not all starts.

In any csae. 6 games. Is that supposed to prove that he's a good bet for a season's worth of adequate football?

....I wouldn’t have extended Baines’ contract but there is a bottom line on this;

From a footballing perspective he’s an extremely capable back-up.

Silva will want to use him over anybody else in the club if Digne is unavailable. The only other option is to bring a back-up in, but a years salary to Baines is probably cheaper. Silva wants him, I have no doubt about that.

Last edited:
Not all starts.

In any csae. 6 games. Is that supposed to prove that he's a good bet for a season's worth of adequate football?
90 minutes vs Wolves away, Southampton at home, Bournemouth away, Southampton at home in the Carabao Cup and Lincoln in the FA Cup.
15 minutes vs Huddersfield at home, 55 minutes at Huddersfield away and 36 minutes in the 1-3 loss at home to Wolves.

Imagine it, Everton's back 4 in 2019/20:

Coleman Keane Jagielka Baines

Combined Age: 130 years.

It's a new dawn.

• Haha
Reactions: Tez
....I wouldn’t have extended Baines’ contract but there is a bottom line on this;

From a footballing perspective he’s an extremely capable back-up.

Silva will want to use him over anybody else in the club if Digne is unavailable. The only other option is to bring a back-up in, but a years salary to Baines is probably cheaper.
He's not. He's never been a defender and he cant do the defensive work Digne does. That's a poor like for like decision.

90 minutes vs Wolves away, Southampton at home, Bournemouth away, Southampton at home in the Carabao Cup and Lincoln in the FA Cup.
15 minutes vs Huddersfield at home, 55 minutes at Huddersfield away and 36 minutes in the 1-3 loss at home to Wolves.
Means nothing, other than that his manager doesn't trust him with more games, and many of the games he did play in were disastrous.

Means nothing, other than that his manager doesn't trust him with more games, and many of the games he did play in were disastrous.
Not necessarily Dave, more likely that Digne was brought in to be the number one, has totally lived up to that expectation and therefore there's been no need to play Baines, just keep him in case of injury.

Baines isn't daft, he knew and knows full well that Digne is the present and the future and therefore his role from the start of the is season was strictly as back-up and if he's retained another year, that's all he's likely to be going forward too.

He's not. He's never been a defender and he cant do the defensive work Digne does. That's a poor like for like decision.

....that really is a matter of opinion, Dave. No amount of discussion on here will change your mind, just like you won’t change the minds of the majority of posters who rate the player. I think he’s a little magician, Silva clearly rates him as well.

I do share your concern about him being injury prone. Once those injuries start they are difficult to arrest but i’m sure Silva and Brands had a thorough discussion and thought a season contract was in the best interest of the club.

Not necessarily Dave, more likely that Digne was brought in to be the number one, has totally lived up to that expectation and therefore there's been no need to play Baines, just keep him in case of injury.

Baines isn't daft, he knew and knows full well that Digne is the present and the future and therefore his role from the start of the is season was strictly as back-up and if he's retained another year, that's all he's likely to be going forward too.
I personally think Silva has overused Digne and it's not on to continue to do so. If he had an able deputy for the PL then I believe we'd see Digne rested more often.

Baines is not the answer here. We all know that. There's no use anyone trying to spin this potential contract extension as a good thing. If it's true, then it's the club failing to strengthen a position and making do and mending.

There's no point in between, of course. Just a choice between a football relic and a callow youth. No deals to be struck for players in the lower leagues. They dont exist. Nor any player that Silva or Brands know about from ther extensive contacts.

So we stay with Baines.

Incredible.

We deserve absolutely f.a. as fans when there's a constant acceptance of BS from the club over retaining tat to cut costs.

As cover! FFS you are talking (crying) like we have just spent 30 mil on him, on a five year 200k pw contract and he will be starting every game.

He's ours already, on a reduced salary and happy to sit on the bench.

The only person losing here is YOU!

I personally think Silva has overused Digne and it's not on to continue to do so. If he had an able deputy for the PL then I believe we'd see Digne rested more often.

Baines is not the answer here. We all know that. There's no use anyone trying to spin this potential contract extension as a good thing. If it's true, then it's the club failing to strengthen a position and making do and mending.
You'll note I personally haven't commented on the rights or wrongs of Baines being offered an extension... I've merely advised his minutes, games and involvement therein ;)

....that really is a matter of opinion, Dave. No amount of discussion on here will change your mind, just like you won’t change the minds of the majority of posters who rate the player. I think he’s a little magician, Silva clearly rates him as well.

I do share your concern about him being injury prone. Once those injuries start they are difficult to arrest but i’m sure Silva and Brands had a thorough discussion and thought a season contract was in the best interest of the club.
I know this: if Baines plays for us for any length of time our left flank will become a weakness when presently it is our major strength. Other players like Bernard and Richarlison will have their game negatively affected.

It's wrong to hand a contract to Baines. You know it is.

I know this: if Baines plays for us for any length of time our left flank will become a weakness when presently it is our major strength. Other players like Bernard and Richarlison will have their game negatively affected.

It's wrong to hand a contract to Baines. You know it is.
Is he not a very good back up option to Digne though Dave?

Status
Not open for further replies.