2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he gets a new contract instead of the club putting that cash toward a new Left Back who can really compete with Digne, we are NOT seeking to close the gap on the top 5/6 in this divison.

Leicester wouldn't be doing that, and they are our rivals to break into the elite.

It's just sentimental bollocks to hand Baines an extension. Everyone knows it. He's stayed at this club through sheer poor/cowardly management and needed punting at least 2 seasons ago. He's not remotley good enough to improve the first team.

Keep him, and the message is clear: we're a museum....wasn't that what we were supposed to be getting away from?

Brands - do your 'kin job.
I think it's excellent management, one more year to see how the boy Robinson fares on loan. As long as we aren't in Europe we don't need much more than decent back up who brings great experience too. It makes perfect sense

LB going to Slippy G in Scotland would sully the memories.

However, word on the street (I know, vault me) is that he sees his future away from football anyway. He is mad into photography. If he stayed in football it would be for continued high income, certainly not for a love of the sport.

However, word on the street (I know, vault me) is that he sees his future away from football anyway. He is mad into photography. If he stayed in football it would be for continued high income, certainly not for a love of the sport.

I can imagine he'll be one of those players that totally removes himself from football when he retires.

This post has just made me think. Can we make up a team of players (not just Everton) whose initials are also their playing position?

Shame if he goes like this as I don't feel he got a proper send off. But he's been a great servant and fantastic player for us. There was a period when he was one of the best left backs in Europe. Farewell Bainesy top lad and player.

I struggle to see how LB is not a priority. We are a Digne injury away from having to rely on a clearly over the hill Baines getting the arse torn out of him all season.

...and where is this idea Baines' agent will be accepting a cut price deal for his client?
May be worth promoting Gibson or Robinson to back up.

Time he moved on. He was for a time our best player but so was Dave Watson and we don't still have him in the squad. If we want to compete with the best we need someone who can push Digne for his place. I think he is good enough for half the Premier League but not us. Thanks for the spell between 2009-2014 but all the best things come to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.