2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally wouldn’t, I’d look to bring someone in but I can certainly see why the club are doing it particularly if we think one of the youngsters may be ready to make the step up imminently

I think it's ok as long as the focus is for him to be making way for Gibson over the course of next season.

From what I've been told (and granted, I haven't seen it with my own eyes), they believe very firmly that Gibson is going to be a centre back.

Joe Royle said a couple of years ago that we were very hopeful about Antonee Robinson and were making sure any signings didn't block his progression. If he's not quite ready, giving Baines another year as 2nd choice in that position probably makes sense.

I personally wouldn’t, I’d look to bring someone in but I can certainly see why the club are doing it particularly if we think one of the youngsters may be ready to make the step up imminently

I think that if all we are talking about is a reserve left back, it makes sense. You want to try and minimise the turnover of players where possible as it creates disruption. If they think Robinson is ready the following season then they can promote him. If not, we'll address it next summer. Also have to think about what we can spend and prioritise appropriately.

If that's true that Everton are preparing to give those two contract extensions then I feel sorry for all those who think it's great news because it'll wind me up. It means that the club are going nowhere fast and have zero ambition.

Everton re-signing two past-it veterans. Two squad places that could and should be used to build for the future of the club.

Enjoy your "goads".

If that's true that Everton are preparing to give those two contract extensions then I feel sorry for all thoise who think it's great news because it'll wind me up. It means that the club are going nowhere fast and have zero ambition.

Everton re-signing two past it veterans. Two squad places that could and should be used to build for the future of the club.

Enjoy your "goads".
sounds like your on the wind up to me

Dominic King saying he will get a one-year extension.

Should have been moved on and got another one off the wage bill. I fully expect them to give Jagielka an undeserved deal now, too.

Sentiment at this club is a curse.

I imagine they won’t be on anything like the same level of wages they’re on now. Having good pros around can be a benefit, particularly when we’re looking to bring in young players.

If that's true that Everton are preparing to give those two contract extensions then I feel sorry for all thoise who think it's great news because it'll wind me up. It means that the club are going nowhere fast and have zero ambition.

Everton re-signing two past it veterans. Two squad places that could and should be used to build for the future of the club.

Enjoy your "goads".

Do you not see any value in retaining Baines on a reduced contract for one season given the attention that is needed elsewhere in recruitment?

I would feel a lot better next season if Digne gets an injury or suspension playing Baines than I would Gibson who has only played U23 football or Robinson who hasn't really set the world alight on loan.

I feel much better about Baines getting a one-year extension than I do the prospect of Jagielka getting one. Baines has value for another year, Jagielka does not.

35 and 37 years of age next season.

What PL club looking to seriously become a top 6 organisation hands contracts out like that?

None.

Ergo: the club have no ambition.

Moshiri talks about not becoming a museum but then allows the squad to be populated by two fossils.

"Ha Ha Ha. It's great though. Let's all laugh at Dave."

Do you not see any value in retaining Baines on a reduced contract for one season given the attention that is needed elsewhere in recruitment?

I would feel a lot better next season if Digne gets an injury or suspension playing Baines than I would Gibson who has only played U23 football or Robinson who hasn't really set the world alight on loan.
No. And you have no idea what the value of the contract will be.

35 and 37 years of age next season.

What PL club looking to seriously become a top 6 organisation hands contracts out like that?

None.

Ergo: the club have no ambition.

Moshiri talks about not becoming a museum but then allows the squad to be populated by two fossils.

"Ha Ha Ha. It's great though. Let's all laugh at Dave."
Hopefully they don’t give Jagielka one, but I can’t see them not now.

We’re a mug club.

Fair decision that. He's done well enough when called upon this season to be backup for Digne next year.

And while we don't know the exact contract details, it stands to reason that it'll be on reduced terms.

There's enough to be done to the squad this summer without unnecessarily increasing the number of players we need to bring in.

Status
Not open for further replies.