Match Thread Leicester City v Everton (Wednesday 16 December 18:00)

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, the fact that I genuinely don't remember Vardy having a touch of the football all night is testament to Keane and Mina. Haven't seen a striker so quiet against us in years. Excellent tactics by Carlo; stop Vardy and they aren't scoring, and take our own chances. Brilliant effort all round.
Before the game I was a little concerned about them up against Vardy and Barnes cutting in but full credit to them for making him not existent apart from the header which he should've buried. It certainly helps having full backs not running forward as much and Doucoure being a machine!

It'll be interesting to see what Ancelotti does with the fullbacks against teams that sit back like Arsenal and Sheffield United.

Evertonian since I was a little boy and I still think it was a penalty. Ball didn't move even a tiny bit on Gomes 'touch', only angle that made it look like he got a toe on it was the one they showed on the VAR monitor. Very clumsy from Gomes either way and certainly wasn't obvious he got the ball. The whole idea of VAR is to overturn clear and obvious errors by the referee of which that wasn't.

We got lucky IMO, if it showed the other angles I think it might have stayed a penalty.
Nah the unexplained ball movement coincides with Gomes well timed foot on ball. Fair play to the ref for overturning his own intial decision. That's key in this incident.

Maddison had a shot from a long way out in the 7th minute and hit Keane, I think, who was a few metres away in the penalty area.

I think he was deliberately aiming for his arms and trying to cash in on this new handball ruling and get a pen.

We're going to see a lot of this and I hope it's dealt with properly.

Evertonian since I was a little boy and I still think it was a penalty. Ball didn't move even a tiny bit on Gomes 'touch', only angle that made it look like he got a toe on it was the one they showed on the VAR monitor. Very clumsy from Gomes either way and certainly wasn't obvious he got the ball. The whole idea of VAR is to overturn clear and obvious errors by the referee of which that wasn't.

We got lucky IMO, if it showed the other angles I think it might have stayed a penalty.
Does the ball have to have its speed or direction perceptibly altered for it to count as contact? I'd say no. It looked like he grazed it to me.

It just want happening for us on that very bad run but we beat leicster, Chelsea spurs. Drew with RS. Beat Arsenal on weekend and it’s a certain top 4 before x mas day. We have nothing to fear and everything and anything is possible.

Another decent performance last night.

We look like we've gone back to basics a bit which is helping us defensively. The system seems to be more of a structured 4-4-1-1. It's helping playing with 4cbs and Iwobi & Richarlison are both giving the full backs plenty of protection not leaving too much space in the midfield.

Normally we would play with a much higher press and teams like Leeds recently would just simply pick through our midfield with ease but the last two games we've eased off the high press let their defenders carry the ball out and keep it much more compact between the lines. Leicester struggled to create too many clear cut chances apart from the Vardy header straight after we went 1-0 up most of their efforts were pot shots from outside the area.

Although VAR & Lee Mason correctly decided to overturn their penalty I still think it was a poor decision by Gomes to go in for a tackle that was too risky to win and he didn't need to make. I thought the referee was much better than he usually is not saying that because we won but everytime he wasn't falling for Richarlison or Cengiz antics repeatedly falling over on minimal contact in the first half and all the cards given were consistent mainly for the same offence.

For us to get back to back wins is massive with those two fixtures the hardest part will be how we try to become a bit more expansive again mainly accommodating James if we play this way it'll have to be number 10 replacing Sigurdsson keep him away from any defensive responsibilities.

The Allan injury was a bit frustrating but par for the course really in the position/role he plays its inevitable that would happen at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.