Homepage Update: Leaving Goodison - feelings

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be strange re locating.

Any chance the blue on the stands can be taken down to show the original brickwork?

My first memories of Goodison were sitting on the metal rails, my older brother propping me up in the Gwladys, whilst I watched the majesty of the great mid 80's side sweep all before it. I was hooked.

My late father taking me for a surprise birthday visit, where I got to tour the ground, champions memorabilia in hand, one of my most cherished memories. (getting a lump in my throat just typing this).

Spending my teenage years with my mates in there. Even the horror games against Norwich, QPR and Coventry of the early 90's are still part of the fabric of my match going experiences. The derby victories are some of my happiest moments, watching Duncan terrorise them was magical.
Waiting till November to score a goal when Walter took over, the buzz around Moyes, and the great first season of Martinez.
Through the good and the bad it makes us who we are.

The one overriding factor is that my very best memories are pre adulthood.

The Grand Old Lady deserves to taste success again before we say our final farewells.

I am excited to move, but will leave with a heavy heart.

I just love me a proper emotional thread, like.

Being a fairly poor norwegian with little time to spare, i've only been once, to celebrate my birthday in fact, to see the derby match when Suarez did his dive in front of Moyes. Cracking atmosphere, unlike anything I've ever seen. Felt like a proper pilgrimage for me, growing up a blue in effing snot-nosed Norway of all places.

There's no doubt I'll have to return sometime before the end of it. And it's not just to take it all in and think about the ghosts of players of the past I've heard and watched so much, It's to take in the ghosts of everyone who ever made the visit, if only just once or so much they've got bricks laid, ashes spread, names engraved.

I'm sure whenever we sing "if you know your history", it means just a little bit of something different and very specific for every single voice in that crowd. It can be the history of the best players Goodison has seen, the history of the dogs of war or the indifference and fumes of the darker days and most of all, the history of the ones we've loved who took us here, and the ones we've brought with us through the turnstiles.

Will be sad to leave the old lady

Memories include
Boys pen
Taking a milk crate into the paddock of the then new stand so I could see over the wall at the front and a flask with me dad
The 70s so much hope but never came to pass
The semi circle walls behind the goals I miss them
Being in the gwladys street roaring on the boys standing at the back then suddenly half way down as the crowd moved
The 80s still get a lump in my thought thinking about those times at the old lady unbelievable days too many to mention
Seats arrived the atmosphere stayed the same
Ups n downs in the 90s till now
The grand old lady will be missed but memories will stay forever
Your born a blue and goodison is part of you

We now can look forward to a new stadium
And new memories .......but she's not gone yet and there maybe just maybe a fitting memory that will forever stay with us about our last days at the old lady

Last edited:
Will be sad to leave the old lady

Memories include
Boys pen
Taking a milk crate into the paddock of the then new stand so I could see over the wall at the front and a flask with me dad
The 70s so much hope but never came to pass
The semi circle walls behind the goals I miss them
Being in the gwladys street roaring on the boys standing at the back then suddenly half way down as the crowd moved
The 80s still get a lump in my thought thinking about those times at the old lady unbelievable days too many to mention
Seats arrived the atmosphere stayed the same
Ups n downs in the 90s till now
The grand old lady will be missed but memories will stay forever
Your born a blue and goodison is part of you

We now can look forward to a new stadium
And new memories .......but she's not gone yet and there maybe just maybe a fitting memory that will forever stay with us about our last days at the old lady
Speaking of milk crates
Sure it was a 0-0 v Southampton
Ref was giving us nothing
At one decision some wag at the front of the street end threw a milk crate toward the ref

NEA'd really I don't mind the present Goodison had some good times there Bayern for one and Wimbledon...Rooney Vs Arsenal

But when I go to the Goodison in the Sky, this one won't be this one, It'll be the old one with the old stand, the proper Archie Leitch Stand, the one with 5' 3" Bobby Collins facing down a 6' 2" WBrom grock ( wise move on his part)
The one with Kay and Vernon smoking ciggies and cigars in the Directors Box, With Alex Young rising above everybody to nod home Vs Spurs. Having a goal disallowed for offside Vs Inter. The Battle of Goodison Vs Leeds. The arcs behind the goal.
The 66 World Cup.
Alan Ball ripping the rs a new one in his 1st Derby
Ball again Vs Lpool in the cup (the screens at analfield)
The Holy Trinity
Seeing the floodlights from the 500, before you got there
The Brick Exterior ('k the cladding)
The old Marble main entrance
The Square Clocks...got to get the one surviving one back at the Docks.
50-60K+ crowds
Cash at the door, 3 shillings - 6d for a prog.
Collecting the all the vouchers to get a Cup Final Ticket
Police Horses and horse s...The smell of the crowd and the roar of tobacco, beer, piss and sweat, tea with sterrie in it...if you could get served.
Brass Band Music before the KO
Z cars
Joe and his mate with the big board advertising next week wrestling at the old stadium.
The toffee Girl - never did get one

The only records are mostly photos in B&W
But when I see it it's in full colour and surround sound...todays 'bearpit' is but a pale shadow

That said, even if I have to buy a season ticket for 1 game and fly from Brisbane, I'll be there if I'm not dead.

So don't hang about Mosh.
Moaning about not getting a toffee girl I never got a toffee!lol
Parking as always been a problem in the older days public transport was more prolific - the atmosphere - the grand old lady will be sadly missed even then!
This new ground has to be so special imo!

Where do I start?

I have been through the most horrible 2 years of my life with my divorce and subsequent upheaval. There have been times when I have been out of my mind with worry and stress.

Every time I go to Goodison I forget everything and just get totally consumed by the place and it's energy. I simply adore Goodison Park and I still get the same butterflies now as I did aged 6 the first time I went in 1989. In the last 5 years I have also enjoyed the pleasure and honour of taking my daughters there and I am made up they will have those memories of Goodison too, just in time.

I know we have to leave but it breaks my heart thinking about it.

It will be heartbreaking. My first visit was to the main stand in the early 80's. I have enjoyed so many days and evenings there, hated a good few too depending on the results.

The blow is softened by the location of the new stadium though. This isn't a supermarket add on in Kirkby. This is right on the banks of the Mersey in our city. That will help me make the transition without a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.