Homepage Update: Leaving Goodison - feelings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Staff member
Groucho submitted a new blog post

[FANS EMAILS] Leaving Goodison
GOODISON.jpg

With news yesterday that Everton have made a significant step towards building a new stadium on Liverpool’s waterfront by agreeing a deal to purchase land at Bramley Moore dock being quite rightly welcomed with open arms, it dawned on me this morning that we have a sad farewell looming.

After over 125 years at a place that many of us spent large parts of our childhood at, we'll be leaving for pastures new. Albeit only 2.5 miles away.

goodisonpark.jpg

How will you feel?

For me as someone who is Walton born and bred and still living in the city, I'll be incredibly, incredibly sad. But I'm excited about the prospect new gaff. Also I'm eager to see some designs as to how this will look, and the regeneration it will bring will be vital.

goodison.jpg

Can we give her one last trophy or more?

We've probably got approximately 5 years or less at the old girl, so how are you feeling? Comment below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted this last night in the Oldies Thread in the Ale House...

Whilst we'll all look forward to taking our seat in a state-of-the-art riverfront stadium, part of me really, really, really wants to see us win another trophy before we depart the Grand Old Lady.

To see an Everton team parade around Goodison with silverware in their hands and medals around their necks would be a fitting finale to over 125 years at the place we call home.

Come on you Blues, give us at least one more tear-laden celebration before we start to write new chapters to our history.

Mixed. One the one hand it's all I've ever known for Everton and you'll never recreate that magical feeling of walking through the terraces to a night game with the air crackling with excitement.

On the other hand we once moved to Goodison exactly because we wanted a state of the art stadium. Moving away from Goodison is therefore in keeping with Nil Satis. I want Goodison to be remembered for Dean, Lawton Young and the great 60s and 80s teams, I don't want another 50 years of us coming mid table to go on it's record.

Hopefully we'll be sat in BM in a few years time watching trophy winning sides reminiscing about the great sides that played at Goodison. That's how it should be, moving forward all the time.

Goodison is the best (well footy related at least) place on earth for me. Nothing comes close to beating that feeling of walking down to Goodison on match day. The stadium from the outside as well as inside always manages to send shivers down my back and give me goosebumps. Also.the whole matchday experience with a great choice of pubs and the stadium at the heart of the community makes it something special. I absolutely adore the grand old lady and it will be a very emotional day when we say our final goodbye.

That said, all good things will eventually come to an end and the new stadium will hopefully ensure we can start living up to our motto of Nil Satis Nisi Optimum again. Finally!!!

It's is imperative for me to see us win onevery trophy at least at Goodison. I'm barely old enough to remember the last time we won a trophy, so as a young(ish) bloo, I so want us to get the old lady absolutely rocking one last time.

I know what the atmosphere is like when we play big games and we're up for it. God only knows what the atmosphere in there would be like if we were in the running for a title and going on a prolonged cup run.

C'mon toffees. Do the old lass proud.

Sat in the same seat with my Dad for 20 years. He started taking me when I was 4.

Same people have near enough sat around me through that entire time, and have become part of my match going experience (not that I know any of their names!).

It'll be sad to lose that, but we have to go if we want to be a successful club, which is what we deserve to be.

I am not from Liverpool. But I have been going to Goodison for nearly 20 years and I will be gutted to leave. I have some special memories of games, especially those champions league games under the floodlights.

For me no ground beats the grand old lady on a night game for atmosphere.

But I have to be realistic and think with my head and not my heart. It is time to move on... but it will be a heart wrencher that's for sure.

It's reaffirmed to me how much I want to stay at Goodison, I'm not excited about going but accept it as long as it's top quality. Spending loads of money on a fancy quirky design does not mean quality, a thoughtful stadium would not break the bank.

NEA'd really I don't mind the present Goodison had some good times there Bayern for one and Wimbledon...Rooney Vs Arsenal

But when I go to the Goodison in the Sky, this one won't be this one, It'll be the old one with the old stand, the proper Archie Leitch Stand, the one with 5' 3" Bobby Collins facing down a 6' 2" WBrom grock ( wise move on his part)
The one with Kay and Vernon smoking ciggies and cigars in the Directors Box, With Alex Young rising above everybody to nod home Vs Spurs. Having a goal disallowed for offside Vs Inter. The Battle of Goodison Vs Leeds. The arcs behind the goal.
The 66 World Cup.
Alan Ball ripping the rs a new one in his 1st Derby
Ball again Vs Lpool in the cup (the screens at analfield)
The Holy Trinity
Seeing the floodlights from the 500, before you got there
The Brick Exterior ('k the cladding)
The old Marble main entrance
The Square Clocks...got to get the one surviving one back at the Docks.
50-60K+ crowds
Cash at the door, 3 shillings - 6d for a prog.
Collecting the all the vouchers to get a Cup Final Ticket
Police Horses and horse s...The smell of the crowd and the roar of tobacco, beer, piss and sweat, tea with sterrie in it...if you could get served.
Brass Band Music before the KO
Z cars
Joe and his mate with the big board advertising next week wrestling at the old stadium.
The toffee Girl - never did get one

The only records are mostly photos in B&W
But when I see it it's in full colour and surround sound...todays 'bearpit' is but a pale shadow

That said, even if I have to buy a season ticket for 1 game and fly from Brisbane, I'll be there if I'm not dead.

So don't hang about Mosh.

Posted this last night in the Oldies Thread in the Ale House...

Whilst we'll all look forward to taking our seat in a state-of-the-art riverfront stadium, part of me really, really, really wants to see us win another trophy before we depart the Grand Old Lady.

To see an Everton team parade around Goodison with silverware in their hands and medals around their necks would be a fitting finale to over 125 years at the place we call home.

Come on you Blues, give us at least one more tear-laden celebration before we start to write new chapters to our history.

Aye - winning something before we go (especially in the final season) would be a send off fitting for the old lady wouldn't it

The final game of the last season at home is absolutely nailed on to be the Derby btw, supposedly random fixtures my backside - Spurs last game at WHL being Arsenal is just too coincidental to be a 'fortunate' fixture accident

I'll be devastated to leave tbh, I'm choking up just even thinking about it I'm not lying. I understand we have to, and I'll be assured excited as anyone if we get to build a new stadium on the docks but nothing will ever compare to Goodison.

growing up going the match was so much more than just the football, it was an escape from hard times and a chance to feel a belonging with fellow Evertonians- there's no better feeling than scoring a last minute winner or massive goal and ending up 8 rows in front and hugging the person next to you like you've known them all your life. That buzz when you leave the ground and you know you do, you look back at Goodison with the floodlights on before she goes out of view and you think "I fckn love you, I fckn love Everton and I fckn love being an Evetonian"

I owe a lifetimes worth of gratitude to Everton, and I owe a million thanks to Goodison for giving me so many moments of sheer happiness, release, joy and always hope.

it will proper break my heart, so come on Everton and win a trophy or 5 before we have to say our goodbyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.