Landon Donovan press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty

Sack Sky and donate to GOT...donations are needed
This was due to take place today but has been cancelled due to the weather, Donovan could attend but the media couldn't make in because of the snow(n)

"I am ready to enjoy it and I want to personally get myself sharp while I am here," he exclusively told evertonTV in his first interview.

"Tim Howard has had nothing but great things to say about this team so I am excited. Going into a World Cup year this experience will keep me sharp."

Didnt like the sound of that to be fair. :oops:

This was due to take place today but has been cancelled due to the weather, Donovan could attend but the media couldn't make in because of the snow(n)

Code:
The Echo hacks are still pissed - lying under tables in bars on Victoria St covered in their own sick

"I am ready to enjoy it and I want to personally get myself sharp while I am here," he exclusively told evertonTV in his first interview.

"Tim Howard has had nothing but great things to say about this team so I am excited. Going into a World Cup year this experience will keep me sharp."

[I]Didnt like the sound of that to be fair. :oops:[/I]

That was expected in my books. He's the captain of USA and needs to be in top form. Now while you're here,enjoy yourself after you have given us something to cheer about,Don ;)

Didnt like the sound of that to be fair. :oops:

What else can be expected? Both sides know the score on this deal: Everton need bodies for a couple of weeks and Donovan needs match time. Unless Donovan goes crazy during the loan and Everton ponies up some serious cash (MLS will certainly overvalue Donovan as he is the face of both the MLS and US soccer), he'll be back to LA at the end of the loan.

He's not on trial or realistically even getting a serious look for a permanent transfer. He's here because both sides have needs and Donovan gets to walk into Premier League playing time for 10 weeks. Win / win for both - clearly understood that this is just a cup of tea for both.

What else can be expected? Both sides know the score on this deal: Everton need bodies for a couple of weeks and Donovan needs match time. Unless Donovan goes crazy during the loan and Everton ponies up some serious cash (MLS will certainly overvalue Donovan as he is the face of both the MLS and US soccer), he'll be back to LA at the end of the loan.

He's not on trial or realistically even getting a serious look for a permanent transfer. He's here because both sides have needs and Donovan gets to walk into Premier League playing time for 10 weeks. Win / win for both - clearly understood that this is just a cup of tea for both.

agreed but I sure wish him well as I would like for Everton to at least have to wonder about how much it would cost to bring him in on full transfer due to him having impressed during the 10 weeks.;)

Were these the same people who said it's up to the spectators to get into the grounds safely if the pitch is OK to play on I wonder? (Which, incidentally, I agree with)

So, I was unable to watch the game because none of my gajabillion pay-for soccer channels carried one of two EPL games played all weekend. I did get to watch the Man U game like 30 times though. :rolleyes:

From reading Moyes' comments after the game, it seems Donovan did well considering it was his first game with them and has no chemistry yet. Is this the case? What was the consensus on his performance in the first match? (more looking for English responses than us biased Yanks. :) )

From most of the match reports and press articles, Donovan's debut was considered a success. If you read most of the comments, most fans also agree that he did well in his first match.

While I am an American, I feel I can give an honest critique of his performance as I'm able to look at things a lot more objectively than most football fans here.

Donovan played a solid match for the most part but it wasn't anything groundbreaking or any sign that Everton should pursue a permanent deal. At times he made some poor passes in the midfield that gave possession away (passes that he could probably get away with in MLS). Part of this was also due to the fact he just joined the team and obviously the chemistry takes time to develop.

Also, I would have liked to see him be a bit more aggressive as he usually was laying the ball off or passing instead of a few chances where he could have tried to run at a defender or taken a shot from distance. He did this once when he got a ball from Saha, and dribbled past Traore that created a good chance.

Overall, he had a good game (good service on corner that Osman scored on and was active in helping to creating chances) but nothing to get too excited about yet. I still highly doubt that Everton will attempt sure a permanent move as MLS is going to have a high price tag (probably excess of $10 million).

Thanks jfeyerherm! (and MikelsGoat) I'm seeing a lot of Americans on here now. :)

I actually remembered there is a review of clips on the Premier League Review show, which I record weekly. Just watched that and got a good 10-minute synopsis of the match. I'll agree with your comments.

Donovan seemed to do very well considering he hasn't played in over a month, is on a new team in a new league, and given there were questions surrounding his fitness & abilities to acclimate to the EPL game. Having an assist on your first appearance is amazing and not something many Americans do.

I think when he gets into typical match fitness, he'll be playing a full 90 for Everton every match. I noticed he was quite a bit more selfless with his ball though. For the English fans - Donovan typically takes advantage of his chances by making shots on goal. I did see Donovan more quick to be an assist guy and not really trying to take shots himself - which he CAN do, and do very well I might add.

I'm guessing that's all chemistry & knowing his role on the team. Smartly, he probably walks in knowing he's there to help & not "star", so maybe that's why he was more quick to create opportunities for others rather than taking them himself?

I'll also add that bringing Donovan in was probably the single best thing Everton could have done with regards to increasing your presence in the States. American EPL fans largely follow teams based on where the Yanks Abroad are playing. Fulham reaped huge rewards from this in the past, and that's more than 50% of the time you see an international soccer jersey stateside, it's a Fulham one. Americans love spending money and cheering for their team, so don't underestimate the good that will come of this. :)

Regarding price.... it's $10M US, which if you convert to Stirling is something like 6-7M, no? That's significantly cheaper, and to those Everton fans in the other Landon thread that said "just get another speedy winger", please note that I doubt you'll find someone with Donovan's skill level come at that low of a price. :cheers:

Posting here because the other thread was locked, BTW

Dabes2's quote from the other thread:

In terms of attributes, he's got break-away pace, excellent finishing ability with both feet, and is a strong passer both in possession and on the counter. He's not particularly elaborate with the ball at his feet. He'll beat you with pace, or the give-and-go, but not with a step over or fancy move. But just because he's not "fancy" doesn't mean he's not technical. He's got an excellent first touch. He's always struck dead balls for the USA and Galaxy (until Beckham showed up). He has world class fitness and will work his socks off for an entire match.

That's pretty much what I saw against Arsenal. Hardworking, he covered his Phil Neville really well and stopped Traore getting forward, showed intelligence in possession and had one or two moments where he really too your breath away, like him going past Traore and driving towards the box.

That's basic stuff for alot of teams but we've rarely seen it over the last 7-8 years at Everton. That's why we desperatly need to add pace to the side, it's a must in the modern game. I'm hoping Landon Donovan will give Moyes glimpses of that in his spell here, and hopefully we'll sign a pacy, more direct wide player in the summer.

It's early days but it was a promising debut, hopefully he can build on it.

Fulham reaped huge rewards from this in the past, and that's more than 50% of the time you see an international soccer jersey stateside, it's a Fulham one.

I disagree with this 100%. I have never seen a Fulham jersey sported by anyone walking in the streets. I've lived in Florida, Indiana and now I live in New York City. The most common shirts are and have always been Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United. If it's not on of those, then it's a Barca jersey.

That doesn't mean Americans don't like to follow Fulhamerica, but they'd rather sport a Robin Van Persie jersey than the likes of Clint Dempsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.