Labone or Ratcliffe......Who was our best Skipper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I really think the role of skipper is overplayed, especially in great teams containing players who are dedicated to the cause and know their role in the team.

What I will say is neither Labone or Ratcliffe were vociferous shouters on the pitch. Neither rolled their sleeves up and fought or kicked opponents, neither got down the referees ear to gain an advantage. Some folk on here think these are pre-requisites for a skipper, but they aren’t.
Labby never had to say much but glared when necessary, he was a top England centre half who led by example -
Rats was class with more winning trophies, in different eras both top players Captains in their own style , I plump for Labby as he made John Hurst a great co centre half ...

Discuss Blues..............personally all I would say is we were blessed to have both, interestingly both of them not really vocal but both commanding respect from big characters in the teams of both eras.
Just depends in what context. We've had some great captains including Waggy, Jags. All have had their individual skills and all have been proud to play for the club - except Kev the Rat

I never seen Labone play, but my late Dad seen both and he idolised him. So for that reason, I’ll say Labone.

Boss little clip that, I remember that day so vividly, my dad took me down to watch the team bus go by and it seems to my 8 year old eyes that the whole world was on the streets. My dad hoisted me into his shoulders as I went by and I had my uncle Tony’s stupid blue and white plastic boater on my head (miles too big) and, joy of joys, his rattle! Something that I had always coveted). I only had them because uncle Tony had fallen down the stairs drunk after getting back from Wembley and broke his leg in two places. He was in hospital, so my auntie Jean gave me all his football gear to be able to ‘show my true colours’.

What a day that was, full to the gills on lemmo and crisps (paper bags, with a little blue twist of waxed paper inside that held the salt), and every feller was giving us kids penny’s and threepenny bits, they were all bladdered :)

Boss little clip that, I remember that day so vividly, my dad took me down to watch the team bus go by and it seems to my 8 year old eyes that the whole world was on the streets. My dad hoisted me into his shoulders as I went by and I had my uncle Tony’s stupid blue and white plastic boater on my head (miles too big) and, joy of joys, his rattle! Something that I had always coveted). I only had them because uncle Tony had fallen down the stairs drunk after getting back from Wembley and broke his leg in two places. He was in hospital, so my auntie Jean gave me all his football gear to be able to ‘show my true colours’.

What a day that was, full to the gills on lemmo and crisps (paper bags, with a little blue twist of waxed paper inside that held the salt), and every feller was giving us kids penny’s and threepenny bits, they were all bladdered :)
Oh and of course I forgot to mention, jumpers for goalposts ;)

:rant: Where's the Phil Neville option.

Labone.
Neville2010GETTY_468x307.jpg

Both greats, and led wonderful teams, but...maybe it's a better captain who leads the team when times are tough. Kevin Campbell, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.