Koemans Biggest Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making the break through. For as long as I can remember every single time we have come close to achieving anything of note we find a way to not do it. We crawl back into the comfortable shell of mediocrity. Whether it's small things like holding on for a win against a top aide when playing badly rather than the inevitable draw, larger things like winning a derby, winning away at a top 6 side, or even larger moments like winning cup semi finals and finals. For the past 20 years Everton have found a way to trip up at the last moment. How many gut wrenching last minute equalisers against us, how many derbies Liverpool have squirmed out of, how many semi finals we've played well enough to win.

A case in point was the fixtures last weekend. With Deulofeu bearing down on goal for 2 -0 v Spurs I don't think anyone seriously thought we were going to do it. The resulting 1-1 just seemed so inevitable. After giving a pen away at Arsenal though, Liverpool fans I was watching the game with (torturously) were confident Mignolet would save it, even at 1 down they were sure of a win, and then at 4-3 there was no doubt in their mind they'd hold on. Just like it seemed inevitable that City and Chelsea would get the late goal to get the wins they needed. You never ever get that feeling with Everton. It's the opposite, like being two goals up at Bournemouth or Chelsea and knowing in your gut you still won't win. Poorer sides than us can go to big teams away from home and get one off incredible results. We never ever do this.

Koeman just needs to get one under his belt, just one. Break the mental barrier whatever way possible. A scrappy 1-0 win at Stamford Bridge, a home derby win, holding on for that unlikely away win you don't really deserve but are the sort top sides get. Then these things eventually accumulate in the right mindset so that when you get to a semi final the players and fans are going in thinking 'maybe this is the one to go for us' rather than 'oh god not again, how will we manage to snatch defeat here'.

Koeman needs to turn us from heroic failures to uninspiring patchy winners then build from there.

Making the break through. For as long as I can remember every single time we have come close to achieving anything of note we find a way to not do it. We crawl back into the comfortable shell of mediocrity. Whether it's small things like holding on for a win against a top aide when playing badly rather than the inevitable draw, larger things like winning a derby, winning away at a top 6 side, or even larger moments like winning cup semi finals and finals. For the past 20 years Everton have found a way to trip up at the last moment. How many gut wrenching last minute equalisers against us, how many derbies Liverpool have squirmed out of, how many semi finals we've played well enough to win.

A case in point was the fixtures last weekend. With Deulofeu bearing down on goal for 2 -0 v Spurs I don't think anyone seriously thought we were going to do it. The resulting 1-1 just seemed so inevitable. After giving a pen away at Arsenal though, Liverpool fans I was watching the game with (torturously) were confident Mignolet would save it, even at 1 down they were sure of a win, and then at 4-3 there was no doubt in their mind they'd hold on. Just like it seemed inevitable that City and Chelsea would get the late goal to get the wins they needed. You never ever get that feeling with Everton. It's the opposite, like being two goals up at Bournemouth or Chelsea and knowing in your gut you still won't win. Poorer sides than us can go to big teams away from home and get one off incredible results. We never ever do this.

Koeman just needs to get one under his belt, just one. Break the mental barrier whatever way possible. A scrappy 1-0 win at Stamford Bridge, a home derby win, holding on for that unlikely away win you don't really deserve but are the sort top sides get. Then these things eventually accumulate in the right mindset so that when you get to a semi final the players and fans are going in thinking 'maybe this is the one to go for us' rather than 'oh god not again, how will we manage to snatch defeat here'.

Koeman needs to turn us from heroic failures to uninspiring patchy winners then build from there.

I 100% agree mate.

I am absolutely fed up of that gut wrenching feeling of disappointment when we get so far and fall short.

Little things just don't seem to go our way but at the same time we don't help ourselves with our mentality being how it is.

We have had our fair share of semi finals and finals in recent years but we certainly approach those games with trepidation, it's not always been that way (the 60's/80's) but we do have this aura of defeatism.

We need to destroy the RS at the pit and at Goodison and win a final. That is what it may take to banish this hoodoo.

Pretty sure 99% watching the spurs game expected right till the final whistle us to concede a second mate, every game we don't will make the next a little bit less and so on and so forth, small steps, but hopefully this season we will get some confidence back in both players and the fans as one will help the other

An absolute smashing of them in a derby would do wonders as well mind

I actually thought the crowd wasn't too edgey towards the end, all things considered. It was nice to see.

Very pleased with how we managed the game after the equaliser, how many times last season did we concede and then concede again within 5 five minutes? Just to see them re-group and see out a decent point was encouraging. Would have been nice to have a bit more in the tank to go for a winner, but that will come, and as you say the confidence will slowly build from here.

Good to see the percentages back even if they are in a new context. % chance of a Bramley Moore dock mega-stadium?

Oh crikey. I don't even keep up with the stadium stuff.

But from the little I've read it's like 58.18888888% we will have a new stadium on the docks. Possibly higher.

....easy one, breaking the status quo in Liverpool. The world is content when we are no threat to the Reds. Howard Kendall broke that balance. We need to be top dogs in the city and the rest will follow but that is a considerable challenge.

Come on RK, make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.