Koemans Biggest Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

LydiateLee

Player Valuation: £8m
Aside from laying off the pasties a bit, what do you think Koeman's biggest challenge is this season?

Many have stated that sorting the defence is the stand out one. For me, although this should be a priority, this doesn't necessarily mean it is the most difficult of his objectives. Reason being we have the players at the back to take on board instructions and play with the organisation and concentration levels required in the Prem, both elements of our play that fell way short under that dope last season.

Also, we have Gueye protecting the back four and breaking up play. I know it's early but he looks absolutely perfect for us.

For me it is how to get the most out of our attacking options and finding the right blend.

Lukaku, Mirallas, Deulofeu, Bolasie, Barkley

All players that, individually, are blessed with considerable ability and all potential match winners.

I don't think we've seen a combination of more than two of these play well together consistently. Last season, under the worst manager (relatively speaking) in the clubs history, we saw Deulofeu and Lukaku combine brilliantly for about half a dozen games before dwindling.

If he manages to find a system to maximise their combined threat then I can see us blowing teams away this season without worrying about conceding 2 or 3 at the other end.

The main difficulty will be trying to change Lukaku (if he stays) from a finisher with a big ego to a more balanced Centre Forward. His hold up play is still a weakness - and it is more important in Koemans Style of playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.