2018/19 Kieran Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
....the work rate comments do make me smile as I suspect folk will be very surprised at the ground he covers in a match. Sometimes ‘busy’ looking players flatter but Dowell is a big old unit with a languid gate. He’ll be doing his bit. I don’t remember many criticising Kevin Sheedy’s workrate.

Dowell has rare ability to effectively influence a game. Every top team needs players like that. What Dowell is yet to prove is whether he can consistently produce.

Pre-internet.

I think this is a great loan for Kieran. A team playing well, chasing promotion, and with no room for passengers. He'll have to put a shift in to earn and keep a place in the team, which can only do him good.

Regarding his future at Everton, I hope no decision has been taken yet and I would hope Brands and Silva are keeping a close eye on him. Perhaps even by doing something old-fashioned like actually going to watch him in the flesh when we don't have a game.

I know what you mean but I was talking about this the other day. It's difficult to do that because of his age. Winks had already made his England debut by Dowell's age, if we spend 2 years playing him in bits and pieces he'll be 24 by the time we ask him to become a proper part of the team. I'm not sure that he or the club will be particularly happy with that situation. As an aside it just shows how success changes our perceptions of management. There was an interview I posted the other day where Winks was basically saying Pochettino has forced him to play through injury and the consensus was that this was a good thing to toughen him up. Absolutely guarantee if Silva did that with one of our young players everyone would be saying he was a Neanderthal and had ruined them.

Pleased to see the reports about Dowell from Sheffield United, it seems he's getting praise for things he's traditionally been criticised for so that can only be a good thing.

he'll be 23 the same age winks is now and hes only really been starting games for them recently

he'll be 23 the same age winks is now and hes only really been starting games for them recently
No he hasn't. I explained this elsewhere. In 2016/17 he started 12 games and came on as a sub 21 times before his season was ended early by injury. Last season he started 18 times and came on as a sub 7 times before his season was effectively ended early by injury. He was very much a key player for them at the start of last season, he played almost every game for them before Christmas - including starting 5 consecutive CL games and their big league games like City, Liverpool and United - but didn't play after Christmas because of a chronic ankle injury. He turned 23 last week, so before his 23rd birthday he'd started 53 games for Spurs, and come on as a sub in 38 more. Dowell is currently on loan, so the earliest we can start the process of integration is next season. He will turn 23 in October of the following season, and he currently has 5 appearances for us under his belt. If he's going to cram in 86 more appearances for us before his 23rd birthday to match Winks then his progression certainly isn't going to be a slow and steady one.

I find the idea that Dowell has "Had his chance" at Everton laughable. He started 1 PL game, a game we won 4-0 and he had an assist. He started 2 league Cup games and came in early in a dead rubber EL game, all of which where part of supposed weakened sides. And while Sigurdsson, Richarlison, Bernard, Gueye, Gomez, etc, all need better players around them to truly have an effect and show what they can do, Dowell, Davies, Calvert Lewin, etc, simply aren't good enough despite getting fewer opportunities and with equally poor sides around them.

Dowell should be introduced slowly and given a taste for games. But at the moment, performing well at 2 championship teams is all good for him and us, and we should definitely not be making a decision on him based on his current exposure to our poisonous 1st team. Some of these same people who want us to get shut probably wanted us to sign Maddison or Brooks, and regularly push for Lookman to be central to our side.

See where you are coming from Ijjy and there's definitely a correlation with our current lot as regards having zero fight. But I think we have far better players than Villa had at the time and I'm confident that will be the difference here.

Having said that Villa were truly dreadful that season and I think were relegated half way through April IIRC. They were more than 20 points adrift of safety which is crazy.

I find the idea that Dowell has "Had his chance" at Everton laughable. He started 1 PL game, a game we won 4-0 and he had an assist. He started 2 league Cup games and came in early in a dead rubber EL game, all of which where part of supposed weakened sides. And while Sigurdsson, Richarlison, Bernard, Gueye, Gomez, etc, all need better players around them to truly have an effect and show what they can do, Dowell, Davies, Calvert Lewin, etc, simply aren't good enough despite getting fewer opportunities and with equally poor sides around them.

Dowell should be introduced slowly and given a taste for games. But at the moment, performing well at 2 championship teams is all good for him and us, and we should definitely not be making a decision on him based on his current exposure to our poisonous 1st team. Some of these same people who want us to get shut probably wanted us to sign Maddison or Brooks, and regularly push for Lookman to be central to our side.

I've said similar. We don't set good foundations for young lads to flourish. They come in when other players are injured, get the odd chance and the you don't see them for months or come in like Davies did as a sort of throw of the dice.

guys, he's not good enough. The last few managers have been saying he's close, but he doesn't kick on. Just like Garbutt.

move on

yeh what young players did they have apart from grealish?
Think they had that Adama Traore on loan from Barcelona. Also had a few youngsters in the squad who were given game time simply because the senior players were so awful. They weren't highly rated youngsters like our lot though. For instance they certainly weren't providing 7 players for the England U21s at the time.

I've said similar. We don't set good foundations for young lads to flourish. They come in when other players are injured, get the odd chance and the you don't see them for months or come in like Davies did as a sort of throw of the dice.
I think that's harsh. Davies and DCL have certainly been given a very good chance here. The likes of Kenny and Holgate have been in and out, but the same happens everywhere really. At any top level club you have to grasp opportunities when they come and make yourself part of the future. Rashford got his chance at United because of injury but he's never looked back, same with Alexander Arnold at Liverpool. I don't think we'll ever get a perfect situation where we can just bring players through and give them all the time in the world to flourish. It doesn't happen like that really, at any club. I agree that we can't say Dowell has already missed his chance, but if he gets games early next season he has to make them count, otherwise he will have.

....the work rate comments do make me smile as I suspect folk will be very surprised at the ground he covers in a match. Sometimes ‘busy’ looking players flatter but Dowell is a big old unit with a languid gate. He’ll be doing his bit. I don’t remember many criticising Kevin Sheedy’s workrate.

Dowell has rare ability to effectively influence a game. Every top team needs players like that. What Dowell is yet to prove is whether he can consistently produce.
I think he has a bit more to do than that Eggs.
We see with Kenny, Davies, Lookman and DCL exactly what you are talking about i.e young players where there is no level of consistency with their performances, but at least they are in and out of the first team.
Kieran Dowell still has to show the manager that he is worth involving in the first team, even if only on an irregular basis.

I think he has a bit more to do than that Eggs.
We see with Kenny, Davies, Lookman and DCL exactly what you are talking about i.e young players where there is no level of consistency with their performances, but at least they are in and out of the first team.
Kieran Dowell still has to show the manager that he is worth involving in the first team, even if only on an irregular basis.

...I absolutely agree. When these lads get an opportunity they have to impress. Unfortunately, Dowell had an opportunity early in the season and was substituted at half-time. Opportunities will be limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.