2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

....he’s part of the governance, so he has to be accountable. His negligence last summer and January is a given as far as I’m concerned.

If the club has ’pulled up the financial drawbridge’ he knows the spend envelope & spends it on Chermiti who appears a long-term investment when our requirement is immediate. He has to think Chermiti is the real deal, I wonder why SL bought Gyrokeres if they had Chermiti on the conveyer belt but time will tell.

If you have limited spend you have to be sure you prioritise on what you need. We did a deal for Beto, apparently paying nothing until next season. Buying Chermiti suggests to me that Beto wasn’t on our radar. Buying Chermiti when we were buying Beto appears to show transfers on the hoof rather than planned.

it looks an absolute mess. A DoF earns his stripes when times are bad, that’s his job. As you can tell, I’m not convinced but I accept I’m in a minority and will gladly laud him if we now improve.
His negligence in January is a given???

We received £40m for Anthony Gordon - all of it up front if the Newcastle documentary is to be believed. We now know that pretty much none of that was available to spend to Thelwell. We know that because none of it was there when the current window opened.

How he gets blame for working with no money I don't understand. The Chermiti deal involved about £1m up front - there aren't many other strikers knocking about who were available for that sort of seal structure. He somehow convinced Udinese to accept the grand sum of absolutely nothing up front.

Players are being sold and we are told that again anyone he could have signed today would have been for buttons as an initial payment.

The man isn't just working with one hand tied behind his back, he's got absolutely nothing to work with.

Not having this being pinned on Thelwell. I was sceptical in January when he was being scapegoated by people on here, but I'm now absolutely certain about where blame lies.

We received £40m for Anthony Gordon - all of it up front if the Newcastle documentary is to be believed. We now know that pretty much none of that was available to spend to Thelwell. We know that because none of it was there when the current window opened.

How he gets blame for working with no money I don't understand. The Chermiti deal involved about £1m up front - there aren't many other strikers knocking about who were available for that sort of seal structure. He somehow convinced Udinese to accept the grand sum of absolutely nothing up front.

Players are being sold and we are told that again anyone he could have signed today would have been for buttons as an initial payment.

The man isn't just working with one hand tied behind his back, he's got absolutely nothing to work with.

Not having this being pinned on Thelwell. I was sceptical in January when he was being scapegoated by people on here, but I'm now absolutely certain about where blame lies.
Quite. It's amazing how he managed to bring in Beto for no money upfront!

IMG_2736.jpeg

Beto'o
Harrison
Danjuma

All in with Iwobi, Maups & Gbamin gone.

All in all some astute business indeed.

Shame we couldn't have booted Godfrey & Slomes as would have been a 8/10 window but alas I'll give it a very respectable 7/10 in the circumstances.

Looking forward to seeing what bits the big man is planning ahead of the January transfer window.

I'd like to thank Kevin for his amazing work yet again. I'm sure Sean will be waxing lyrical once again about his ability to phone up clubs and make offers they aren't prepared to accept.

Beto'o
Harrison
Danjuma

All in with Iwobi, Maups & Gbamin gone.

All in all some astute business indeed.

Shame we couldn't have booted Godfrey & Slomes as would have been a 8/10 window but alas I'll give it a very respectable 7/10 in the circumstances.

Looking forward to seeing what bits the big man is planning ahead of the January transfer window.
Lol. Kev with a 7/10 window, Dychey smashing it on the pitch and Farhad building you your dream stadium. If this season, the season we have started with three blanks and three losses, goes badly, who will be responsible, Jimbo? Bill I assume?

Yeah you’re spot on here. Frankly anyone blaming Thelwell, or really at this point any DoF we’ve had, has their head firmly in the sand and is ignoring the mountains of evidence to show what a horrific job he’s been given.

Like you say he’s been given absolutely nothing at all. Look at just some of the deals that we know about and how they’re structured with him negotiating.

Dele - free, all appearance based
Tarkowski - free, somehow picked us over Villa
McNeil - £2m up front, the rest over years
Gana - £2m outright
Coady - option of £3m signing after a loan (which we should’ve taken)
Chermiti - like you say £1m up front.
Harrison - just pay wages, no loan fee
Beto - somehow nothing up front

Legitimately I challenge any Everton fan to look at those deals, regardless of how the players work out here, and say that this is some buffoon negotiating for us or that he’s not putting any effort in. Literally 8 players off the top of my head, most of a team, and in this market we paid literally £5m up front for them combined.

This doesn’t even go in to the clearly fantastic job that he’s done with selling players for us that are utterly dreadful. Even if it’s a case of getting their wages off the finances he’s done it incredibly well. After the Saudi window closes off the top of my head Michael Keane will be the only proper wage thief left at the club. That’s fantastic given the absolute dredge and rot that Thelwell inherited when he came in.

I’m sorry, lay the blame at Moshiri and Kenwright as it should but for the love of Christ get off Thelwell’s back. It’s not the DoF‘s fault that we couldn’t pay £5m more for Gnonto despite selling literally £30m+ worth of players, same reason that it’s not his fault that we couldn’t pay Sulemana’s release clause. It goes on and on.