2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

The reality is that DCL is now in his 3rd season of injuries and we haven’t signed a direct replacement despite spending money elsewhere.

In the past 12 months mate we’ve signed two forwards - whether they were good ones or if indeed the DOF signed them is subjective to opinion. It’s not that the need hasn’t been identified really.

Would any of us presumed that DCL would have been out all season - maybe, but it was also reasonable to think given his “return” in the last games of 21/22, he’d have a “normal role” and distribute resources accordingly. The bet didn’t work out admittedly. In fact wind the clock back 12 months and many were saying Maupay "was decent back up", so many of us were as guilty of the same mindset.

If I was making the point, I’d point more to the players sold as undermining goal scoring and threat, we willingly sold Richarlison which took a lot of threat and end product out of the team. Gordon arguably also, for all his faults Rondon went also. We had no striker last year, yet we had one out on loan, who managed to do double digits with PSG the year before that.

The issue is based on number of decisions and variables in my opinion, it’s broader then “can he not see we need a striker” - that’s before you look at limits and resources, profit and sustainability etc.

Last edited:
In the past 12 months mate we’ve signed two forwards - whether they were good ones or if indeed the DOF signed them is subjective to opinion. It’s not that the need hasn’t been identified really.

Would any of us presumed that DCL would have been out all season - maybe, but it was also reasonable to think given his “return” in the last games of 21/22, he’d have a “normal role” and distribute resources accordingly. The bet didn’t work out admittedly. In fact wind the clock back 12 months and many were saying Maupay "was decent back up", so many of us were as guilty of the same mindset.

If I was making the point, I’d point more to the players sold as undermining goal scoring and threat, we willingly sold Richarlison which took a lot of threat and end product out of the team. Gordon arguably also. We had no striker last year, yet we had one out on loan, who managed to do double digits with PSG the year before that.

The issue is based on number of decisions and variables in my opinion, it’s broader then “can he not see we need a striker” - that’s before you look at limits and resources, profit and sustainability etc.
Yes

If I was making the point, I’d point more to the players sold as undermining goal scoring and threat, we willingly sold Richarlison which took a lot of threat and end product out of the team. Gordon arguably also, for all his faults Rondon went also. We had no striker last year, yet we had one out on loan, who managed to do double digits with PSG the year before that.

We have not replaced Lukaku after all this time and money wasted, I still find this incredibly hard to believe .

We have not replaced Lukaku after all this time and money wasted, I still find this incredibly hard to believe .

We replace these players, but the issue is the quality and impact of those who have come in, as we’ve gone along from that point our resources have diminished - from player to player.

When you actually look at the forwards at the club since Lukaku, it’s a lot, for a lot of money. It’s not that we haven’t replaced these players, it’s we haven’t replaced them well.

Which is the broader point on signing a striker at the moment, we’ve signed two in the last 12 months - it’s not that we haven’t identified that we need a striker.

The issue at hand is one based on a judgement of competency of DOF or whether you believe he’s working in a skip fire of a situation inherited at the club, with an awful profile and no money. And wheather replacing him a Marcel Brands of this world and them dropping Rondon and Kean shapes is any better in our current context and limits - part of the reason we are on this mess in my opinion.

Last edited:
I do get the shouts of how tough it probably is to convince anyone to join our rotten club, but that is his job, and he's doing it awfully. He knows the state of play with the board etc, if he can't get it done in spite of it he's just showing himself to be another yes man that we don't need. It's incompetence and he needs to go.

We replace these players, but the issue is the quality and impact of those who have come in, as we’ve gone along from that point our resources have diminished - from player to player.

When you actually look at the forwards at the club since Lukaku, it’s a lot, for a lot of money. It’s not that we haven’t replaced these players, it’s we haven’t replaced them well.

Which is the broader point on signing a striker at the moment, we’ve signed two in the last 12 months - it’s not that we haven’t identified that we need a striker.

The issue at hand is one based on a judgement of competency of DOF or whether you believe he’s working in a skip fire of a situation inherited at the club, with an awful profile and no money. And wheather replacing him a Marcel Brands of this world and them dropping Rondon and Kean shapes is any better in our current context and limits - part of the reason we are on this mess in my opinion.
Genuine question - who are the two strikers we have signed in the last 12 months? Do you mean Maupay and Chermitti - both colossal mistakes.

Is cherpie chermie a colossal mistake? Aren't you a colossal twerp for saying so before he has played a game?
I'm saying so because he hasn't been on the bench yet. so we've wasted money on somebody who may or may not make it at some time in the future when we need a striker in the first team now.
I'll ignore the gratuitous name-calling.

kevthel.jpg