2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Forwards, they are forwards.

Their job is to attack, so attacker would be acceptable.

But under Dyche, I suppose you could also call them Fullbacks, due to how deep they play.

Lol

So in Dyche’s system we have 1 attacker and 1 half attacker

No wonder we don’t score
You have watched us?
They certainly aren’t mane and salah playing off the striker?
We have a very defensive system and they are require do defensive work with in this system? It’s not pretty

You have watched us?
We have a very defensive system and they are require do defensive work with in this system? It’s not pretty
So the manager is at fault for us not being more attacking

Phew, been arguing this for months but told “it wiz de plAYErz”

Glad I was right

Cheers mate

You have watched us?
No mate, ive never watched us.

Im aware of what their role is within the team and im aware of their defensive duties, it doesnt change the fact that I personally consider them forwards, tasked with attacking play, of course in a Dyche system they are expected to maintain a defensive shape, hence their goal output being low.

For example.

Kevin Sheedy, he played Left midfield of a midfield 4 for Everton, in his day, Wingers were considered midfielders, but he was still expected to chip in with goals, his primary job in the team is to help with attacking.

But to answer your question, if they played for Liverpool, they would play like Mane and Salah, off the Striker, but they play for Sean Dyches Everton, so they sit back.

Serious question, if they arent in the team to attack, what are they in the team for? To double up on the fullbacks that never pass the halfway line?

No mate, ive never watched us.

Im aware of what their role is within the team and im aware of their defensive duties, it doesnt change the fact that I personally consider them forwards, tasked with attacking play, of course in a Dyche system they are expected to maintain a defensive shape, hence their goal output being low.

For example.

Kevin Sheedy, he played Left midfield of a midfield 4 for Everton, in his day, Wingers were considered midfielders, but he was still expected to chip in with goals, his primary job in the team is to help with attacking.

But to answer your question, if they played for Liverpool, they would play like Mane and Salah, off the Striker, but they play for Sean Dyches Everton, so they sit back.

Serious question, if they arent in the team to attack, what are they in the team for? To double up on the fullbacks that never pass the halfway line?
The whole start of this conversation was about goals they scored

Vs last season

Net spend down.

Wage bill down.

Goals scored up

Goals conceded down

League position up.

The only stats Thelwell will care about.

If you look at his remit, he has over achieved. The remit being, keep us, save money.
This the arena we are in.

Between Dyche and Thelwell they developed a way to stay in the game.

Some can’t see this and are tying themselves in knots arguing that other managers would have us playing better football with these players.

I don’t think anyone want this to be the end game, but this is where we are.

Last edited:
If you look at his remit, he has over achieved. The remit being, keep us, save money.

Some can’t see this and are tying themselves in knots arguing that other managers would have us playing better football with these players.

I don’t think anyone want this to be true he end game, but this is where we are.

…..not sure spending £50m on Beto, Maupay and Chermiti is ‘saving money’.

I’d argue that it’s very much Dyche who is ‘keeping us in the game’.

I don’t think anyone want this to be true he end game, but this is where we are.

The current off the pitch environment means success is an impossibility at the moment. We don’t have any money, points deductions and ownership issues are rife, there’s no current permanent board, we’re dwelling near the bottom of the PL.

No brilliant manager or player will want to touch this scenario and there’s quite simply no way Everton are going to be competing for the league or champions league places in the near future under these conditions.

The remit therefore is to keep us up, get through any ownership change, and get us into the new stadium. Dyche and Thelwell are doing that and are perhaps a season away from competing the brief. Everything else like whether Ashley Young should get a contract or whether Dyche likes old English players or not is just silly noise that doesn’t change the dial either way.

The current off the pitch environment means success is an impossibility at the moment. We don’t have any money, points deductions and ownership issues are rife, there’s no current permanent board, we’re dwelling near the bottom of the PL.

No brilliant manager or player will want to touch this scenario and there’s quite simply no way Everton are going to be competing for the league or champions league places in the near future under these conditions.

The remit therefore is to keep us up, get through any ownership change, and get us into the new stadium. Dyche and Thelwell are doing that and are perhaps a season away from competing the brief. Everything else like whether Ashley Young should get a contract or whether Dyche likes old English players or not is just silly noise that doesn’t change the dial either way.
🚨 Common sense 👍

I just hope the bubble hasn’t burst for the football economy.
It’s hard to see who would invest given that it’s not possible to improve and side and play by the financial rules.
There is no investor that could ever compete with Newcastle and Man City owners. And we can never generate the income of the arsenal, Liverpool and man united.