Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
….he talks a lot about his ‘line manager & Co-ordination’ roles but I have no idea of his record in identifying & acquiring players.

indeed, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s reliant on his scouting network & Lampard in suggesting targets. is there anything to suggest he can spot a good player?
A good DoF doesnt have to trust his own eye to spot a player, he needs scouts he can rely on.

David Moyes didnt pluck his bargains from the air, he was given them by his team.

The way scouting works these days, theres really no excuse to buy a bad player, yet thousands are bought yearly.

Looked nervous as hell on that interview, i reckon a strong manager would tear him to bits.
Anyway i got nothing from it apart from Lampard seems like a great guy.

A good DoF doesnt have to trust his own eye to spot a player, he needs scouts he can rely on.

David Moyes didnt pluck his bargains from the air, he was given them by his team.

The way scouting works these days, theres really no excuse to buy a bad player, yet thousands are bought yearly.
IMO the reason for this is stats like xG, sprints per game, ran x amount of km per game, pass completion, etc.... Digital scouting is nonsense, no wonder there are so many expensive flops.

Look at Morgan Schneiderlin I bet his pass completion was up there with the top midfielders in the league.

In the spirit of honesty that we expect from Everton leaders let us also be sincere in agreeing Everton are at very best an also ran and at worst an irrelevance, one who only their fans and those milking for extortionate wages attach any grandiose to. A football club that has won only 15 trophies of note in its entire history, with its last one being over a quarter century ago. The NSNO motto couldn’t be anything more than a parody of a club that is known in modern ages only for its ability to fail at anything it puts its mind to on the field. A club that is mostly parochial and followed by paranoid angry fans that boo their young players, and more so if they’re scouse. Everton are a byword for ineptness, delusion and anger. If it wasn’t for Geordies we’d surely urge for the club to go bust and do the whole world a favour and none more so than it’s own fans.

If we’re being honest.
You been banned from Twitter again or just fancy fishing in different waters during the summer break ? Annoyingly what you write is mostly true.

I think the issue is that it is hard to know if a player playing at a lower level in another league will make it here, whether they will fit in, how much more they can develop etc

No amount of stats can overcome those issues.

I think the issue is that it is hard to know if a player playing at a lower level in another league will make it here, whether they will fit in, how much more they can develop etc

No amount of stats can overcome those issues.
I’m pretty sure there are stats to prove that to an extent. For instance, how they have improved year on year, or how they performed against sides that have just come down to the championship, how they measured up against their opponent in an international (that opponent might be in a top division). I reckon they will have stats for everything!!

I’m pretty sure there are stats to prove that to an extent. For instance, how they have improved year on year, or how they performed against sides that have just come down to the championship, how they measured up against their opponent in an international (that opponent might be in a top division). I reckon they will have stats for everything!!
The stats are an indicator, nothing more. They can’t prove anything.

All of the clubs use digital systems as part of the recruitment process. These systems do try and forecast players potential. They are generally using years of Opta stats and algorithms developed by university mathematicians.

In the end though, footballers are people, not robots and algorithms and statistics work better on populations rather than individuals. Deciding on a transfer will always come down to an assessment by the recruitment team on these less tangible things.

….he talks a lot about his ‘line manager & Co-ordination’ roles but I have no idea of his record in identifying & acquiring players.

indeed, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s reliant on his scouting network & Lampard in suggesting targets. is there anything to suggest he can spot a good player?
The story was always that Mendes was responsible for a lot of the signings at Wolves.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough if this fella is yet another blagger.

Just watched this interview and didn’t learn anything new. Seems the relationship between him and Lampard is good which can only be a good thing.

It’s going to be interesting what the view of him is after the transfer window shuts and what state he leaves the squad for the season, as brands used to love leaving every manager short after the transfer window shut.

In fairness he’s hardly going to tell everyone what he’s going to do is he? He’s effectively in charge of our football strategy moving forward so why would he give any competition even a glimpse of what he’s thinking?

The first thing he has to do is sort out the fitness/medical department.

Seen something on twitter earlier that the last 2 seasons we have been at / nearly at the top for the most injuries.

Doesn't matter what baller we sign if they aint on the pitch we aint winning games of football.

I hope he's looking to bring young type players like Lewis Potter, Brennan Johnson etc to the club instead of older lads looking for a last payday. I can safely say anybody over the age of 26 shouldn't even be under consideration.

Previous regimes have lumped us with Allan,Doucoure and Gomes who have little value and high wages...

The first thing he has to do is sort out the fitness/medical department.

Seen something on twitter earlier that the last 2 seasons we have been at / nearly at the top for the most injuries.

Doesn't matter what baller we sign if they aint on the pitch we aint winning games of football.

Player conditioning and recruitment. Two massive problems for us. We get poor players in then the decent ones we do have are injured far too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.