judge us at the end of the transfer window – not now

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two metrics on which it should be judged.

1. Has the "business" done all it can to resource the manager, within its constraints and capabilities? I'd say it probably has.

2. Has the DoF/manager made optimal use of those resources? Only time/results will tell.

Whatever happens, I still think we need another forward today and failure to address that need earlier is a black mark.

Getting an additional forward today would turn a good window into a very good window overall. It's shaping up that the first XI looks radically different but get that 2nd forward in please.

This is all within the context of 45 points being the target not anything higher. For the net spend that's reasonable.
Most sensible post on here, although you've got fellas actually stating...

"We need an attacker with X factor.

I asked for someone like Kanchelskis a few weeks ago"

Duh, why didn't anyone think off that in the last 27 years, if only we would of thunk durrrr...

You also have to consider the financial limitations. It’s easy to criticise from the sidelines, but difficult to change a squad in one summer on a shoestring, whilst being forced to sell your best player.

The bare minimum? We will end up signing eight or nine players. The squad had more holes than Swiss cheese and more long term injuries than The Royal hospital.

We are a club that just avoided relegation, haven’t won anything for 27 years and are not an attractive proposition. From what I can see, the business is reasonably solid and sensible. I would have preferred the forward in earlier, but we are trying to get the most out of a small pot and beggars can’t be choosers.
I don't disagree. But I am amazed at the glee and declarations of triumph from some on here. What we are doing is solid, unspectacular, and difficult work. It may not succeed. If we are lucky, we will see some improvement. But "exciting"? No, not really. Hard yards.

The bare minimum?
Yes. Going into the first four matches of the season without a striker is the bare minimum - or worse. Going into the fifth without one because you were too incompetent to know the rules is failing even to do that. All on one man's watch: Kevin Thelwell. He'll need to do a bit more than what he has done do far before I'm building metaphorical statues to his vision.

I don't disagree. But I am amazed at the glee and declarations of triumph from some on here. What we are doing is solid, unspectacular, and difficult work. It may not succeed. If we are lucky, we will see some improvement. But "exciting"? No, not really. Hard yards.
It's exciting in my eye for the simple reason we finally seem to be doing it the correct way mate, the excitement isn't based on an individual James like name arriving, but rather it seems that we've analysed the squad and problems and methodically step by step are fixing them short term but with an eye on long term too.

It shows we may finally have woken up and hired someone who has the remit to actually do what's needed

It's exciting in my eye for the simple reason we finally seem to be doing it the correct way mate, the excitement isn't based on an individual James like name arriving, but rather it seems that we've analysed the squad and problems and methodically step by step are fixing them short term but with an eye on long term too.

It shows we may finally have woken up and hired someone who has the remit to actually do what's needed
Well, that's not really my kind of "excitement". That's doing their jobs. Granted, standards are low around here these days and the basics have not been done well for years, but I'll let them get on with it and judge how effective they have been at the end of the season.

I think/hope that by the end of the window we'll have done enough to keep us up but worry about whether we've done enough to keep Frank in his job. A big loss on Saturday would bring a lot of pressure.

We so obviously needed another forward earlier and I reckon a semi competent one would have been good for at least another 4 points.

My only worry after today based on previous experience on transfers here is this thought process so far of a point is good considering taking over the mindset of the team until January. We can hope that maupay is going to be a huge difference despite him being a second string player at Brighton of all places so he won't be the shining light we need at the club this season but if he does a job as it were then he will be backed all the same.

We are forming a habit currently of hoping for a point and I less we bring 2-3 attacking players in today which is unlikely , we will spend a lot of time carrying on hoping as we run our players into the ground with very little option elsewhere. The longer it takes for us to win a game the harder it will become and we are already not seeing out leads in games so how long do we continue that for?

As much as our transfer policy this summer has been good and we have seen some great squad improvement which is what we needed to see happen, considering we started the season early this year and will be waiting until at least September, potentially even half way into September for our first win, the mentality of last year will still be hanging around, which will be noticeable on the pitch.

I think it's always best to judge a transfer window two to three months after it closes. It gives us time to assess new players. Far too often I've thought 'yeah, that's a good window' then being deflated by the same players only a few months later.

Definitely look at what’s been getting done looks to have a good back room staff and DOF who can see where the problems lie as mentioned currently plugging them holes while looking longer term with younger signings it’s going to take a few more windows but if we can steady the ship and start getting results on the pitch it’s a step in the right direction, with the prospect of some younger players coming into their prime in a few seasons, think we have finally realised even tho we have money we can’t go throwing it about because we aren’t one of the financial giants in the game.

In terms of numbers and where we are now this hasn’t been a bad one so far, go back 2/3 years onwards and half these players would have been destroyed on here and it would have been classed as a bad window.

It’s a shame we’re we are but hopefully this is the foundation to build on.

It is exciting depending on the standpoint.
For me, its exciting to see the club move on from midfields that can't defend or attack as a midfield.
Nor getting tied into over the top ridiculous contracts that has prevented solving the problems of the midfield.
Nor not selling Gordon cause it seemed like the best way forward (like Rooney)
Maybe exciting is not the word. But have more genuine hope that they are starting to make the right moves in a very long time.
Even without getting in another forward this window we are better off, even if it gets down to just avoiding relegation again this season.
We aren't going anywhere without taking a chance. And trying to sort out the major issues in defence and midfield requires risk and chance, given where we are, perhaps at the opportunity cost of attackers right now

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.