2020/21 Josh King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought that was his best cameo last night for us. Base is not high but he looked a lot sharper than he has done previously.

There really is no excuse for starting Iwobi.

King / Broadhead -- Josh Bowler even. Dont care.

Felt the players were trying not to pass to Iwobi last night as they knew he was going to lose it.

The consistency of performance that Iwobi has achieved is breathtaking.

Thought that was his best cameo last night for us. Base is not high but he looked a lot sharper than he has done previously.

There really is no excuse for starting Iwobi.

King / Broadhead -- Josh Bowler even. Dont care.

Felt the players were trying not to pass to Iwobi last night as they knew he was going to lose it.

The consistency of performance that Iwobi has achieved is breathtaking.

...I’m sure he picked Iwobi because of the Son threat. He knows Iwobi will at least get behind the ball & support his full back whereas the likes of King or Broadhead are unlikely to do so.

The fact he gets regularly hooked indicates Ancelotti agrees he’s not offering much.

....i don’t think the route you outline is generally the one to success at Everton. As I regularly post, our successful Academy graduates rarely go on loan. Indeed I can only think of Osman & Barkley who played more than 50 games for us after a loan spell & both of those had major injuries at a significant point in their development.

I really hope Simms is an exception but I don’t think there’s any grandios strategy at play here.
Fifty games is a really high bar to clear; that is your definition of a successful academy graduate then we'll wait and see.

But all, except Davies, of our recent graduates, that is players who have come through the academy to make an Everton debut have been out on loan at some point in their development.

Fifty games is a really high bar to clear; that is your definition of a successful academy graduate then we'll wait and see.

But all, except Davies, of our recent graduates, that is players who have come through the academy to make an Everton debut have been out on loan at some point in their development.

...I’m just saying not many Academy loanees have a career at Everton. I thought 50 games is a reasonable benchmark to define ‘career’ but I doubt many even make 10 games.

The real successes tend to come straight into the first team group.

...I’m just saying not many Academy loanees have a career at Everton. I thought 50 games is a reasonable benchmark to define ‘career’ but I doubt many even make 10 games.

The real successes tend to come straight into the first team group.
The vast majority make 0 appearances, Iker Casillas said of his intake group of 300 at Real Madrid's academy only he made it as a professional footballer.

Of all the boys who enter a football academy at the age of nine, less than half of 1% will go on to become a professional footballer.

Only 180 of the 1.5 million players who play organised youth (not necessarily academy) football in England will make an appearance in the premier league.

Those last two stats are from a book by Michael Calvin, recommended read.

But back to Josh King :coffee:

People have a propensity to make the assumption that he's rubbish because Carlo has been hesitant to deploy him in the starting lineup. But for me I don't particularly associate that with a player being substandard. Carlo comes across as eccentric dude with a particular vision for certain situations and maybe he didn't feel king offered certain attributes required to execute his plan. In no way comparing him to KDB or Salah skill wise but sometimes managers just don't rate players doesn't make them universally bad, I mean he still plays Iwobi so his judgement isn't infallible.

The vast majority make 0 appearances, Iker Casillas said of his intake group of 300 at Real Madrid's academy only he made it as a professional footballer.

Of all the boys who enter a football academy at the age of nine, less than half of 1% will go on to become a professional footballer.

Only 180 of the 1.5 million players who play organised youth (not necessarily academy) football in England will make an appearance in the premier league.

Those last two stats are from a book by Michael Calvin, recommended read.

But back to Josh King :coffee:

....I don’t have to read a book to know about Everton Academy, I‘ve stood and watched them on the sidelines coming through the ranks since I stopped playing myself around 30 years ago.

The general outcome is: the very best come directly into the first team fold: others are either sent on loan or released.

i don’t think King was brought in to allow Simms to develop. If Simms was highly thought of he’d have been involved (as were Rooney, Anichebe, Jeffers, Vaughan, Cadamarteri et al at even younger age than Simms).

I’m just highlighting the general path these youngsters follow at our club, let’s hope Simms breaks the trend.

....I don’t have to read a book to know about Everton Academy, I‘ve stood and watched them on the sidelines coming through the ranks since I stopped playing myself around 30 years ago.

The general outcome is: the very best come directly into the first team fold: others are either sent on loan or released.

i don’t think King was brought in to allow Simms to develop. If Simms was highly thought of he’d have been involved (as were Rooney, Anichebe, Jeffers, Vaughan, Cadamarteri et al at even younger age than Simms).

I’m just highlighting the general path these youngsters follow at our club, let’s hope Simms breaks the trend.
Well, we both want the same thing when it all boils down to it, for the lad to be a success at the club.

Interesting that you've watched the academy for thirty years and had such a high benchmark for a successful graduate. In your experience, spanning that timescale, has the system produced noticeably better footballers?

Probably not the thread to start this debate, but would appreciate your views on the changes in youth football at the highest level as you've seen so much of it.

I’m stunned by this tbh. Why take him (even on a free, bc he’ll be on a good chunk of change with no transfer fee) in the first place if 1) you’re not gonna play him and 2) get rid on another free (is what I’m reading) a year later. It means we’ve just paid him a whole heap of cash for a year of doing naff all.

Bournemouth must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I’m stunned by this tbh. Why take him (even on a free, bc he’ll be on a good chunk of change with no transfer fee) in the first place if 1) you’re not gonna play him and 2) get rid on another free (is what I’m reading) a year later. It means we’ve just paid him a whole heap of cash for a year of doing naff all.

Bournemouth must be laughing all the way to the bank.
Hes on loan mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.