2020/21 Josh King

Status
Not open for further replies.
...it’s a bit of a predicament because he has to impress to get game time, never mind start a run of games.
True, I'm just not worried as he wasn't fit when he came Carlo will give him minutes. I think he will be a handy player.

People keep saying this. He was playing for Bournmouth before we signed him. Its not like he’s not playd for 3months and then came in. Hes matchfit, just seems to be what a lot of us were worried he would be. A very mediocre player. Hope im proved wrong, but it doesnt look like it.
Played sporadically for Bournemouth this season, not much as a starter. But we shall see, he's not been great for us so far but let's see where he can get.

Match fitness and being heavy aren't related at all, that's just general fitness. If we played someone like Nkounkou now would you say he wouldn't be match fit? He's made less appearances than that but there's no reason for him not to be match fit. It's a bit of a misnomer I think, you might not be match sharp (ie a bit out of practice) but match fit? Absolutely no reason why you wouldn't be if you're training every day, and 4 starts and 6 sub appearances in a just over a month like King has made should be more than enough to blow away any cobwebs or rust and get you match fit.
Match fitness is another term for match sharpness. It's the same thing.

People keep saying this. He was playing for Bournmouth before we signed him. Its not like he’s not playd for 3months and then came in. Hes matchfit, just seems to be what a lot of us were worried he would be. A very mediocre player. Hope im proved wrong, but it doesnt look like it.
Agreed. He was playing for Bournemouth and had done 90 mins for them before coming to us, yet can only manage 10 mins for us.

If we signed him, knowing he wasn't match fit, it's pointless as you will spend the next 6/7 matches trying to get him fit and then the seasons nearly over.

Match fitness is another term for match sharpness. It's the same thing.
Well there is a difference, but yes they’re often used interchangeably now. That was my point, the poster was saying he wasn’t fit, I was saying he was, although he may not be sharp.

Saying someone isn’t match fit has always applied to someone coming back from injury. The idea is that they’ve recovered from the injury but they aren’t in a position to play a full game because they’ve not been training long enough etc. Match sharpness is really a totally different thing, and can apply to anyone who hasn’t played much. Match fitness is reached when the player is physically able to get through the entire game at a decent level, it can take weeks to gradually build up to that. Match sharpness is more a mental thing, there’s no physical issue, you’re just a bit out of practice and so not playing very well.

Agreed. He was playing for Bournemouth and had done 90 mins for them before coming to us, yet can only manage 10 mins for us.

If we signed him, knowing he wasn't match fit, it's pointless as you will spend the next 6/7 matches trying to get him fit and then the seasons nearly over.

90 minutes at home to Oldham in the cup, is a lot different to Premier League standards, is it not?

I just think he's an extra body, we've paid a nominal fee for, who's at least looked lively when he's came on. I guess he needs more than 10 mins at a time to showcase that, but ultimately, it's not been a disastrous signing, by current standards.

90 minutes at home to Oldham in the cup, is a lot different to Premier League standards, is it not?

I just think he's an extra body, we've paid a nominal fee for, who's at least looked lively when he's came on. I guess he needs more than 10 mins at a time to showcase that, but ultimately, it's not been a disastrous signing, by current standards.
I don't think it's been a disastrous signing, it's not costing us much and I imagine he will move on in the summer, but it's feels a bit pointless at this moment in time. The issue is, he won't get more than 10 mins at a time really as games are too important now and Carlo knows who he trusts.

As frustrating as iwobi can be, we have also seen what he can do and I think he is more adaptable to the defensive side of the game. If King was going to get minutes, west brom would have been the game, but even bernard is ahead of him.

Well there is a difference, but yes they’re often used interchangeably now. That was my point, the poster was saying he wasn’t fit, I was saying he was, although he may not be sharp.

Saying someone isn’t match fit has always applied to someone coming back from injury. The idea is that they’ve recovered from the injury but they aren’t in a position to play a full game because they’ve not been training long enough etc. Match sharpness is really a totally different thing, and can apply to anyone who hasn’t played much. Match fitness is reached when the player is physically able to get through the entire game at a decent level, it can take weeks to gradually build up to that. Match sharpness is more a mental thing, there’s no physical issue, you’re just a bit out of practice and so not playing very well.

And not even really sure either is the case with King anyway.

He's been brought on late on at Leeds when we were holding on for our lives, and similarly against S'ton and West Brom.

Brought on late v Utd to try and help us get something (which we did from the free-kick he won) and other than that has only played at least 30 mins v Fulham, where he was unlucky to just stray offside for the disallowed goal, in a game where they were all crap.

He's much more of a threat to bring on than Tosun, which is what was needed. He's costing us little and if it doesn't work out, he'll be gone at the end of the season. But really, for the length of contract we could now get him on and probably decent wages, it'd be a no-brainer to keep him around as an option.

I don't think it's been a disastrous signing, it's not costing us much and I imagine he will move on in the summer, but it's feels a bit pointless at this moment in time. The issue is, he won't get more than 10 mins at a time really as games are too important now and Carlo knows who he trusts.

As frustrating as iwobi can be, we have also seen what he can do and I think he is more adaptable to the defensive side of the game. If King was going to get minutes, west brom would have been the game, but even bernard is ahead of him.

I'm not disagreeing.

I personally like the King signing, because we're literally a Richarlison, DCL injury away from having to start Sigurdsson up top, and that will never end well.

All of the top teams, have Premier League talent on the bench, so why should we be different? For me, he's a significant upgrade on Tosun as he can actually play football. Albeit in small glimpses, I wouldn't be dreading a DCL injury atm, like I would if Tosun was our backup option.

I'm a believer of "If it isn't broke, don't fix it", and at the moment we're on a really good run, so it wouldn't be the smartest move to try shoehorn him in, he's not really a winger (and i believe he offers a lot more than Benrard), but I agree, West Brom would have been a perfect opportunity to utilise him.

Pointless, definitely not.

He came in as back up/relief for DCL and/or Richarlison. It has turned out that the tactics have slightly changed and Richarlison is bang on form and DCL is handling the workload, maybe Ancelotti expected to play him more. He is there, he has a proven goalscoring record at this level so hopefully ready to play a big part, if needed.

Nobody wanted Tosun on the bench so we have looked to get a like for like replacement in while shipping a player out that nobody wanted. I see zero problems with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.