2023/24 Jordan Pickford

He has one baddish season (or half a season really) a good few years ago.

For some that means his cards are marked for life.

He is excellent, everything you want in a modern goalie.
He's a really good on the line shot stopper. But to be an 'everything you want in a modern goalie' I'd like if he could catch crosses more often.

…I’m not a fan of the modern type of keeper where the emphasis is as much on distribution than commanding their 6 yard box but Pickford has undoubtably been a key player in helping us get through these difficult times.

I’d be hopeful if he’s here next season behind Branthwaite and Tarkowski.
His distribution is actually pretty decent though and underrated. Yes, it's been when he's made silly mistakes at times like against Chelsea and the one where he was playing for England but aside from that his long balls to DCL and other players have led to goals this season.

His distribution is actually pretty decent though and underrated. Yes, it's been when he's made silly mistakes at times like against Chelsea and the one where he was playing for England but aside from that his long balls to DCL and other players have led to goals this season.

Every keeper makes a mistake as they take more risks now. All the best in world football have made howlers at least one or two a season.

Every keeper makes a mistake as they take more risks now. All the best in world football have made howlers at least one or two a season.

Indeed, I wasn't saying about the mistakes to indicate he was bad at it, more that it's what you have to deal with if you want a player who does that. People talk about Raya, Onana, Neur, Allison, Ederson etc. as amazing ball playing keepers but all make mistakes playing that way. It's something you have to deal with.

He has his faults, he’s brilliant for us and seems to enjoy playing here.
Every game he’s worth a goal for us.

If he was perfect he’d probably be elsewhere

Carragher named him in his team of the year last night on MNF. Feels like he's finally getting credit.
The amount of people (Other fans no surprise) that have lost their mind over him been in the team, is unreal lol. Supposedly though it was the villla keeper till a few mins into the game v Liverpool (If they were joking or not, who knows) - The Villa keeper is supposedly the 1st keeper in History to score 3og's in the prem league

He has one baddish season (or half a season really) a good few years ago.

For some that means his cards are marked for life.

He is excellent, everything you want in a modern goalie.

Dunno, he had a good 1st season here, then I thought he was hit and miss for a while, until Ancelotti's full season where he was genuinely dreadful for about half a season. Then, I don't know what happened, but about January time that season he turned it around and has been pretty much excellent ever since.

Indeed, I wasn't saying about the mistakes to indicate he was bad at it, more that it's what you have to deal with if you want a player who does that. People talk about Raya, Onana, Neur, Allison, Ederson etc. as amazing ball playing keepers but all make mistakes playing that way. It's something you have to deal with.

Yeah. It just ends up being the stick to beat a keeper with.

Same with Raya. People praising him and his clean sheets (mostly down to his defence) but forget he had a shocking intro to his arsenal career and is poor at catching on corners.

It's just how the modern game is now though. Praising a keeper being good on the ball rather than the saves he makes or keeping teams in a game.

he's the first one i would sell if we had to hang on to DCL and bran
virginia has looked capable in the games hes played
Looking capable in a few games and over the duration of a season are totally different things. He’s the last I would sell as a keeper who wins you points is harder to replace than a decent CB or DCL