2022/23 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes think people truly believe we could sell Pickford for 50 mill (despite him apparently being erratic and not good at anything except shot stopping) and just go and pick up someone like Dubravka or Rui Patricio for 5 mill and we’d be better off because they just wouldn’t make any errors.

It’s an absolute bizarre notion which was fully shown up as such by Pope’s display for England.

These keepers are making howlers every week that go completely ignored yet Pickford misjudges a cross and gets blasted from all angles.
But if Pickford was sold for £50 million and a replacement with potential was bought for £10 million. Could a further group of players be bought that prevent the keeper being under near constant attack. If only it was so easy!

He wasn't good under Rafael
I don't recall him being particularly poor at that time to be honest.

I'm no Pickford fanboy, I spent a long time saying he wasn't very good and 2 years i'd got to the point where I thought almost anybody would be an improvement. Since around Christmas 2020 he's been consistently good in my eyes. Obviously that doesn't mean he's been faultless every single week, but overall I think it's churlish to argue that it hasn't been a consistent upturn in form.

He's been a much more composed keeper since he took some counselling (Ancelottis idea?). Bar the striker position, the spine of our team has gone from shambolic to top draw in the space of a few months. It's somewhat refreshing to look forward to how the season progresses, although I'm sure there will be a few bumps along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.