2022/23 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hold on.

Did you just say Pickford's good?
I've said a couple of times now that he's been really good this season and carried on from the end of last year.

What I still don't agree with is the whole "he's been good for 18 months/2 years" which seems to always at any given moment be the length of time he's been good for. He wasn't good under Benitez and up and down before that. If, and it is still an if, he can be this guy all the time he's a good, solid keeper.

It honestly isn't. I mean we've done it so that pretty much tells you how easy it is.

We gambled 30 million pounds on a largely unproven goalkeeper that had been relegated with Sunderland. We did it because Koeman was on a massive shopping spree but now I highly doubt we’d make that type of gamble again. He’s become very good whilst he’s been here but at Sunderland he looked pretty much like a lot of promising young goalkeepers who don’t make it to be international keepers.

There’s a lot of ‘decent’ keepers in the league that I don’t think Evertonians would have at all when they saw them up close. Martinez, Fabianski, Ramsdale, Pope, Dubravka, Mendy, Kepa, Sa. If any of them played for us the criticism would be unbelievable if they made the type of errors they’ve been making at their clubs.

You see Pickford as some eccentric shot stopper who when he turns up can have good games but lacks in most other areas, and can easily be replaced by a solid steady keeper who isn’t as flashy but commands his area, catches crosses, and does the basics well.

Most other people are Pickford as a keeper who when he is in good form (which he has been for a while now) is extremely good at shot stopping, one on ones, distribution, and makes far fewer mistakes than almost all the other goalkeepers in the league.

This mythical keeper who just does everything really well and is available on a snip because they’re so common place just doesn’t exist. If we don’t find an absolute worldie after Pickford they are going to get destroyed at Goodison because we’ve got fans like you who now expect those performances from Pickford (like against Chelsea when he pulled off the save of the season to keep us up almost by himself) to be ‘the norm’ (as you put it). It’s a ridiculous standard that no keeper is ever going to get anywhere near.

Ederson and Allison recognised as two of the better keepers in the prem and the world (although I think both are overrated) make errors almost every single game. Ederson’s shot stopping is almost non existent, he’s beaten by almost any shot on target. Allison is poor with his feet, makes loads of errors with distribution and is weak getting down to shots across the goal.

You’re literally asking Pickford to perform at a level better than the best keepers in the world, and that this should be his ‘normal’ level, before we sell him off and replace him with someone better who we’ll pick up at cheap price.

It’s utter fantasyland stuff

He did and you're right you didn't watch those games by the sounds of it. Your opinion on Pickford's England performances is becoming more laughable each post, to be honest.

Nev made mistakes, like every goalie, he's always saying the same himself. In fact, he made a fair few clangers in the year he was FWA Footballer of the Year too (notably, Norwich away, Ipswich at home- his performance in the first leg vs Bayern wasn't great either, he flapped at two straight-forward crosses, presenting Bayern with 2 chances, one a golden opportunity- and we were a tad lucky to come back to Goodison at 0-0). But my point was, you'd never see those saves I mentioned as not being excellent, but it appears if Pickford made them, you'd dismiss them as "not being against top teams", like you have done.
Well keep laughing Stevie as long as it makes you happy.

As for Pickford I’ve seen him make great saves against the top teams and all the rest and I’ve seen him struggle on many occasions for England especially with corners and centres for the simple reason he doesn’t command his area no matter who he plays for!!

We gambled 30 million pounds on a largely unproven goalkeeper that had been relegated with Sunderland. We did it because Koeman was on a massive shopping spree but now I highly doubt we’d make that type of gamble again. He’s become very good whilst he’s been here but at Sunderland he looked pretty much like a lot of promising young goalkeepers who don’t make it to be international keepers.

There’s a lot of ‘decent’ keepers in the league that I don’t think Evertonians would have at all when they saw them up close. Martinez, Fabianski, Ramsdale, Pope, Dubravka, Mendy, Kepa, Sa. If any of them played for us the criticism would be unbelievable if they made the type of errors they’ve been making at their clubs.

You see Pickford as some eccentric shot stopper who when he turns up can have good games but lacks in most other areas, and can easily be replaced by a solid steady keeper who isn’t as flashy but commands his area, catches crosses, and does the basics well.

Most other people are Pickford as a keeper who when he is in good form (which he has been for a while now) is extremely good at shot stopping, one on ones, distribution, and makes far fewer mistakes than almost all the other goalkeepers in the league.

This mythical keeper who just does everything really well and is available on a snip because they’re so common place just doesn’t exist. If we don’t find an absolute worldie after Pickford they are going to get destroyed at Goodison because we’ve got fans like you who now expect those performances from Pickford (like against Chelsea when he pulled off the save of the season to keep us up almost by himself) to be ‘the norm’ (as you put it). It’s a ridiculous standard that no keeper is ever going to get anywhere near.

Ederson and Allison recognised as two of the better keepers in the prem and the world (although I think both are overrated) make errors almost every single game. Ederson’s shot stopping is almost non existent, he’s beaten by almost any shot on target. Allison is poor with his feet, makes loads of errors with distribution and is weak getting down to shots across the goal.

You’re literally asking Pickford to perform at a level better than the best keepers in the world, and that this should be his ‘normal’ level, before we sell him off and replace him with someone better who we’ll pick up at cheap price.

It’s utter fantasyland stuff
It's funny because my main criticism of Pickford has forever been that he's overrated in his ability to stop shots. Now that he's actually doing it to the level everyone swears he always has I think he's playing well. Amazing how that works.

You're also just completely lying about some of the things I've said. For instance I said the Man United game last year should be his normal level, which it has been of late.

100% true...but apparently, every team in the top tier had these in the 50s, 60s and 70s. lol

I sometimes think people truly believe we could sell Pickford for 50 mill (despite him apparently being erratic and not good at anything except shot stopping) and just go and pick up someone like Dubravka or Rui Patricio for 5 mill and we’d be better off because they just wouldn’t make any errors.

It’s an absolute bizarre notion which was fully shown up as such by Pope’s display for England.

These keepers are making howlers every week that go completely ignored yet Pickford misjudges a cross and gets blasted from all angles.

It's funny because my main criticism of Pickford has forever been that he's overrated in his ability to stop shots. Now that he's actually doing it to the level everyone swears he always has I think he's playing well. Amazing how that works.

You're also just completely lying about some of the things I've said. For instance I said the Man United game last year should be his normal level, which it has been of late.

In a list of current PL goalkeepers where do you rank him?

I sometimes think people truly believe we could sell Pickford for 50 mill (despite him apparently being erratic and not good at anything except shot stopping) and just go and pick up someone like Dubravka or Rui Patricio for 5 mill and we’d be better off because they just wouldn’t make any errors.

It’s an absolute bizarre notion which was fully shown up as such by Pope’s display for England.

These keepers are making howlers every week that go completely ignored yet Pickford misjudges a cross and gets blasted from all angles.
One of the funny things you do is you argue that Pickford is better than each keeper individually because collectively someone has a mistake every week.

In a list of current PL goalkeepers where do you rank him?
This season 1st, genuinely.

Over the last 3 years aggregate I'd have to think harder in the second tier which is a big group behind the likes of Lloris, De Gea and Allison who have separated themselves through greater consistency over longer periods.

This season 1st, genuinely.

Over the last 3 years aggregate I'd have to think harder in the second tier which is a big group behind the likes of Lloris, De Gea and Allison who have separated themselves through greater consistency over longer periods.

Point 1: if he’s currently playing as the best keeper in the league then what’s the problem?

Point 2: In the last 3 years haven’t we seen De Gea have probably the worst form of his whole career to the point fans wanted him benched behind Henderson? Didn’t Alisson have multiple meltdowns in the lockdown season (culminating in that City game).

So are we just comparing Jordan’s rocky patch over the last few seasons to these other players entire careers of consistency?

Point 1: if he’s currently playing as the best keeper in the league then what’s the problem?

Point 2: In the last 3 years haven’t we seen De Gea have probably the worst form of his whole career to the point fans wanted him benched behind Henderson? Didn’t Alisson have multiple meltdowns in the lockdown season (culminating in that City game).

So are we just comparing Jordan’s rocky patch over the last few seasons to these other players entire careers of consistency?
There isn't a problem, you responded to me saying it isn't hard to find goalkeeping and it isn't, almost every PL team has a competent option and a lot have two. Compare that to striker or CB and it isn't hard.

There isn't a problem, you responded to me saying it isn't hard to find goalkeeping and it isn't, almost every PL team has a competent option and a lot have two. Compare that to striker or CB and it isn't hard.

I think it’s what people would define as ‘competent’

I see Pickford as an extremely good keeper now who would be very difficult to replace as I think there are a lot of far poorer keepers in the prem.

If we had one of these ‘competent’ keepers in goal I don’t think the fans would view him as competent at all.

We need to find an extremely good keeper to replace Pickford and until we can we shouldn’t be considering selling him unless we’re forced to.

I think it’s what people would define as ‘competent’

I see Pickford as an extremely good keeper now who would be very difficult to replace as I think there are a lot of far poorer keepers in the prem.

If we had one of these ‘competent’ keepers in goal I don’t think the fans would view him as competent at all.

We need to find an extremely good keeper to replace Pickford and until we can we shouldn’t be considering selling him unless we’re forced to.
I disagree because lots of us viewed the worse version of Pickford as competent!

You're going to tell me he's always been this and he just really hasn't, the last 9 months have easily been the best period of his career and I think that's true even if you disagree about his level prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.