2022/23 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pickford left and a top class u23 keeper came in along with an u23 attacking player who brings 10-15 goals, then that strengthens us over a 29 year old keeper at his peak.
Name me one top class u23 attacker who would bring us 10-15 goals and would realistically come to us.

And keeper for that matter. We aren’t shopping in the same market we were when we purchased Pickford.

And if we sell Lukaku, we could buy some new players and "share the goals around".

The thing is, if we dont 'roll the dice' how do we improve?

You look at teams like Atletico or even the RS and previously Arsenal and United

They sold ageing players and were effective in replacing them with youngsters whose value and performance level increased.

Taking them to another level as a team.

It would take a fee that frankly nobody is willing to pay to make selling Pickford a good idea.
I reckon there are teams that’d pay 40-50 for him, pretty big fee for a 29 y/o keeper, but there is no way selling him for that price sees us go into next season stronger and we can’t afford to go into weaker!

Why doesnt it strengthen the team if its invested well?

Both are mince though.

Most fans want a new keeper. As well as everything else in the world

Also, they are building a team of pure youth. They need an experienced and low risk high calibre keeper to help those players on and off the pitch.

And Richly etc

If we kept Richarlison and he had had the season hes just gone through while playing for us then we'd have been relegated.

£50mil rising to £60mil looks poor business to me but £35mil rising to £45mil + Dwight McNeil looks like good business.

Also, Onana Garner and McNeil for Richarlison looks incredible business to me.

Just on the financials alone we could probably sell those 3 in 12months time for well over £100mil.

Players relegated from the PL? Sadly thats exactly the kind of market we’re in.
Pickford was very highly rated when we signed him. Was touted as future England number 1 from an early age.

Sunderland getting relegated defo helped us getting him though, otherwise he’d have probably stayed there and moved onto a bigger club after another couple of years.

He also didn’t come cheap. Which any signings we make now will probably have to be.

If we'd spent the 500 mill on good players we'd be the best team on the planet etc.

I have the old school attitude of not selling your best players and getting shut of the worst.
Same for me, but seems many for whatever just cannot wait to get rid of Pickford, even when he said he wants to stay, None of this rubbish that he will make us the most money if we sell, to buy new players that people act we will get for like 5mil lol - if things were that easy we would have done it over the years and not paid silly prices for players, that have ended mostly worst than ones we got rid off

If Pickford left and a top class u23 keeper came in along with an u23 attacking player who brings 10-15 goals, then that strengthens us over a 29 year old keeper at his peak.
It’s really doesn’t a proven keeper who’s saved us 2 seasons in a row for 2 make believe players that probably aren’t out there and if they are would likely go elsewhere come on mate this isn’t football manager or fifa. This is Everton struggling like mad the last thing we need to be doing is bringing 2 u23 starters in to add to all the other crap we still have around the place.

It’s really doesn’t a proven keeper who’s saved us 2 seasons in a row for 2 make believe players that probably aren’t out there and if they are would likely go elsewhere come on mate this isn’t football manager or fifa. This is Everton struggling like mad the last thing we need to be doing is bringing 2 u23 starters in to add to all the other crap we still have around the place.
Pickford is now our most important player who is indispensable to the club.

Why doesnt it strengthen the team if its invested well?
because Pickford over the last two seasons has been worth far more than the £40-50m I think we’d get for him and I think he’ll continue to be for a good few more years

Let’s say we replace him by spending £20m on an up and comer - he definitely won’t be as good as Pickford from day one if he ever gets to his level. Then we’ve got £20-30m remaining which isn’t that much nowadays and I have no trust in us spending well.

Players relegated from the PL? Sadly thats exactly the kind of market we’re in.
Wasn't Pickford just relegated with Sunderland when we brought him? Or am I getting confused (again).

Guess the difference is he was widely rated in the game as a top young prospect. Not getting that from keeper in the Prem at the moment, never mind from the relegated sides.

A reserve Keeper from on the better teams might work. Howard was a good signing. Think Villa did well with Martinez from Arsenal. However, Villa didn't exactly get him super-cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.