2022/23 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the issue is though that we have an expectation that Pickford will never make a mistake. It probably was a slight one for the goal against Leeds, a bigger one for the one against Forest. When he makes good saves we see this as the expected norm for any keeper. I don’t think it is though, I look round the PL and even the top keepers are making errors every game that we’d be furious at Pickford for.

You see them being caught on the ball, conceding on the near post, shots going through their bodies, spilling shots and crosses, wrong positions on free kicks etc. They’re just not reported as vehemently as any error Pickford makes.

We need to accept that all goalkeepers make errors, Pickford will make some as well, and in the past I used to be furious with him when he was literally dropping balls into his net most games and laughing about it but since Carlo brought Olsen in Pickford has been in my opinion one of the top keepers in the league for making the least number of terrible errors. To add to that his form at the back end of last season probably kept us up.

We judge him way way too harshly and quite frankly we’d struggle to replace a keeper of his quality. Fortunately Lampard and Southgate seem to know this.
Keeper is the worst job in football. Getting bailed out from your mistakes is exceedingly rare, and if you're not saving like peak Buffon every time out then you're bad.

England #1 is the worst goalkeeping job in football, because Fleet Street sold papers by breaking keepers over their collective knee for decades, and that's ingrained in the culture at this point. I swear they literally hype up the #2 just so they can be prepared to "I told you so" the second the #1 makes a mistake on the world stage.

Has everyone forgot that fantastic pass/assist he did to Gray for our goal, Pope couldn't do that
No mate
It was a great pass. Shame about the Forest and Leeds goals though.
He is paid to save shots
He has cost us 4 points already IMO
Forest goal he parried to the danger area. Something he has always been criticised for
The Leeds goal was poor from a defence and keepers view
It was a crap shot and Pickford should have put his cap on it. Near post as well.

I think the issue is though that we have an expectation that Pickford will never make a mistake. It probably was a slight one for the goal against Leeds, a bigger one for the one against Forest. When he makes good saves we see this as the expected norm for any keeper. I don’t think it is though, I look round the PL and even the top keepers are making errors every game that we’d be furious at Pickford for.

You see them being caught on the ball, conceding on the near post, shots going through their bodies, spilling shots and crosses, wrong positions on free kicks etc. They’re just not reported as vehemently as any error Pickford makes.

We need to accept that all goalkeepers make errors, Pickford will make some as well, and in the past I used to be furious with him when he was literally dropping balls into his net most games and laughing about it but since Carlo brought Olsen in Pickford has been in my opinion one of the top keepers in the league for making the least number of terrible errors. To add to that his form at the back end of last season probably kept us up.

We judge him way way too harshly and quite frankly we’d struggle to replace a keeper of his quality. Fortunately Lampard and Southgate seem to know this.

All fair points and tbh I am watching less of other teams games than ever the last couple hrs so no I don’t see those keepers regularly

Only thing I would ask of those that do watch them regularly is would you say you always doubt them when it comes to crosses/corners or when they leave the area

That they too make mistakes or don’t dominate the area I can get but I’d be surprised if they make their own fans as nervy as Pickford does ours, or at least some of us

I wonder if he is less savior in front of a crap MF and defence this season, will we see more the of the destabilising influence in front of an improving def unit…

And for context, he is fine, changing isn’t at all a priority , just your initial post got me thinking about my own reactions during our last couple games in particular and I realised he still makes me nervous

Keeper is the worst job in football. Getting bailed out from your mistakes is exceedingly rare, and if you're not saving like peak Buffon every time out then you're bad.

England #1 is the worst goalkeeping job in football, because Fleet Street sold papers by breaking keepers over their collective knee for decades, and that's ingrained in the culture at this point. I swear they literally hype up the #2 just so they can be prepared to "I told you so" the second the #1 makes a mistake on the world stage.
England would have won a couple of Euros/World cups since '66 if it weren't for Fleet Street imo

Status
Not open for further replies.