2022/23 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree wages have gone up mate but what I'm saying is the standard and quality of our football is akin to a Championship squad so I'd expect them to be on Championship wages.

Can you imagine if we'd proceeded with tying Gordon, Iwobi and Pickford to 100k a week wages and got relegated. I'm all for paying players wages that reflect their performance on the pitch (consistent performances and not the odd one here and there) so I've all got them down as earning £450pw currently with £100 bonus for a win, £50 for a clean sheet, £75 if you score.
£5 if you make the bench, and £2.50 rotating privilege for chopping the HT orange wedges.

That’s the problem though. We’re judging Pickford against this mythical standard of the solid PL keeper who does all the basics right, makes few errors, and saves the shots he should save. This keeper doesn’t exist though. Even the top keepers are making so many errors all the time but you’re not seeing them whereas if Pickford makes a single mistake it just goes onto the agenda pile as evidence.

Allison has been caught doing cruyff turns, teed up two City goals in the same game, has flown out his area and taken his own defender out of play as the ball’s gone in. Pope handled a ball outside his area, dropped a pea roller straight to a German player to throw a game away for England. At one point De Gea was so bad he was letting shots through his body on a game by game basis. If Pickford did any of this stuff you’d want him run out the club. He’s really not that bad in comparison to his peers but his detractors keep comparing him to this mythical ‘solid’ keeper who just doesn’t exist.

Please point out which keeper we could have legitimately got at any point in the Moshiri period who does all the basics right, commands his area, catches crosses doesn’t make many errors, has good distribution, and saves the shots he should save. Who is this keeper?
I'm not saying any keeper in the world doesn't make mistakes. All players do and when a keeper does its magnified. I would just prefer a steady Eddie in goal than an erratic twitcher like Pickford. If he was steady and did the basics of keeping regularly but didn't make these worldie saves that people are talking about that kept us in the league and won us all these games and just made the ordinary saves when depended upon I don't think he would be jumped on as much as he is. I've seen plenty of keepers in the last 50 or so years in an Everton shirt and I think Pickford is no where near up there with the best of them. He makes too many glaring errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.