2021/22 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
He made some good early saves to prevent a 3 or 4 nil lead for them though? Their goalie was at fault for our goal in my opinion.
Quite possibly. But as I say the saves he made. All top keepers make those. And I'm not interested in their keeper. He can make as many mistakes as he likes for all I care.

Problem is some on here think he is a world class keeper, so others who don’t become critical of him.
I look at him as a great reaction keeper, but firmly believe his positioning and decision making are poor
The 2nd and 3rd are definite examples of that last night

He is an average keeper who can make saves that are outstanding- but overall gets the basics wrong

This. His distribution is better than average too, I'll give him that.

He does better for England imo because international is a different game. It's so basic tactically because these teams don't train together that much. It's only a few games at a time, and it's fueled by pure adrenaline which gets him off.

It's the long slog of a league season where he doesn't keep his focus and his flaws get exposed over time.

He belongs with Pogba on the Stud for Country, Dud for Club XI.

This. His distribution is better than average too, I'll give him that.

He does better for England imo because international is a different game. It's so basic tactically because these teams don't train together that much. It's only a few games at a time, and it's fueled by pure adrenaline which gets him off.

It's the long slog of a league season where he doesn't keep his focus and his flaws get exposed over time.

He belongs with Pogba on the Stud for Country, Dud for Club XI.
His distribution! That's become an urban myth as well. Fed up with the amount of times he kicks it straight out of play. Did it last night on a few occasions

First poor game of the season but ironically kept the score from being more of an embarrassment.

Bad on the 2nd (never really cut the angle) and 4th (stand up and he has that) but basically 1 on 1's.
Saving 1v1s is what separates meh keepera from great ones. I imagine he's poor at them generally compared to other keepers.

What’s is beyond me is that his performance is being analysed after watching that game.
I watched the game and let me assure you if we want quick fixes and reasons it ain’t him.
So you telling us having a crap keeper behind a crap defense is not a problem?

I thought he has been very good for us this year tbh, his distribution been poor but it wasnt long ago he was throwing in one a game

So you telling us having a crap keeper behind a crap defense is not a problem?
I’m saying he’s not crap.
He will let goals in, he will concede goals that he could have saved now and again, it’s the nature of goalkeeping.
He will also makes saves he wouldn’t be expected to make.
I’m not even saying he’s brilliant I’m saying he’s not as bad as some are suggesting and Gk’s not the problem position that needs fixing, far from it.

His distribution! That's become an urban myth as well. Fed up with the amount of times he kicks it straight out of play. Did it last night on a few occasions
Yer that will be all the times he’s slicing it out because he’s dealing with a crappy back pass that’s been under hit to him by one of our defenders whose running out of ideas because we’re playing deep, being pressed and he’s under pressure due to said back pass.
Then yes they happen all the time.

Clearly could have done better for the second (positioning), third (positioning) and fourth (as was said in analysis, there's only one place Jota can put that ball, so why isn't Pickford aware of that?)... But equally the defence was largely abysmal so it seems very odd indeed to blame the keeper for that result.

He wasn't great, but others were far, far worse.
Agreed. The only issue is he's supposed to be one of our better players. He needs to be great sometimes.

Yer that will be all the times he’s slicing it out because he’s dealing with a crappy back pass that’s been under hit to him by one of our defenders whose running out of ideas because we’re playing deep, being pressed and he’s under pressure due to said back pass.
Then yes they happen all the time.
Not at all. He does it when he's under no pressure, regularly

Status
Not open for further replies.